Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Utah suggestions  (Read 7228 times)

triet

Re: Utah suggestions
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 01:56:24 pm »

I just did an UT & AZ trip last summer. My itinerary looks like this: Vegas- Lake Powell- Antelope- Monument Valley- Arches- Capitol Reef- Bryce- Zion- back to Vegas.
They are all great places for pictures. Hope this help.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2014, 02:22:25 pm »

I'm not really sure what you are asking, or what your starting and final destinations might be. I've driven most of the main roads in that part of the world.  Give me a little more info and I'll gladly help.

Bryce to DV. I was responding to your comment about the dangers of relying on Highway 12 being clear. Would UT20 and I15 probably be OK?

Jeremy

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014, 02:24:11 pm »

Not sure if you are looking for a place just to spend the night, or you'd have enough time to explore a bit? You have Zion National Park and Valley of Fire State Park. "Overnight stop" wouldn't be enough for Zion, other than a cursory glance.

Just an overnight stop, really: somewhere not too far off the direct route between Bryce and DV. I'm going to be back in Vegas in April and I'm planning a trip to Valley of Fire then. I'm sure Zion is far too extensive, and it's a bit closer to Bryce than I had in mind.

Jeremy

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 02:25:02 pm »

I just did an UT & AZ trip last summer. My itinerary looks like this: Vegas- Lake Powell- Antelope- Monument Valley- Arches- Capitol Reef- Bryce- Zion- back to Vegas.
They are all great places for pictures. Hope this help.

I think you must have had a lot more time than I do!

Jeremy

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014, 02:26:31 pm »

Pahrump, NV.  It's about 350 miles from Bryce, not including any stops at Zion along the way.  Pahrump has several large hotels and restaurants priced well below those in Vegas and positions you perfectly for a hour-long run morning in to Death Valley with the sun at your back.  Leave before dawn.

Sounds good. I drove through Pahrump in October 2012, just before the elections. I had to stop to take the shot here: I can only assume that the w-word doesn't have the same connotations in the US as it does in England. We occasionally find the need to use it for our district judges, but it's not a compliment.

Jeremy

aragdog

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 03:38:22 pm »

The entire state is fabulous.  Every place, even north of Salt Lake heading up to Jackson and Yellowstone.  Just an amazing place and also do not forget Monument Valley, which is kinda in Utah.

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2014, 04:10:07 pm »

There is a lot to see and photograph between SLC and Moab.  Having said that, if I were you, I would just plan to get to Moab straight away rather than wandering around in the Swell or elsewhere en route to Moab.  This is a target rich environment and from the standpoint of productivity you'll be much more satisfied here than areas in between SLC and Moab.  You've already received some solid suggestions for areas to photograph around Moab.  I'll add that you might find my ebook, "The Essential Guide to Photographing Arches National Park" to be of value.  Don't hesitate to stop in at my gallery in Moab if you've got questions about the area upon your arrival.  The Edge Gallery is at 137 N. Main St., right next to the best breakfast joint in town: The Love Muffin.

From Moab you have three options: go south toward Monument Valley or go north and then west toward Capitol Reef or Zion via I-70.  Zion via I-70 is the fastest, least scenic route.  Either of the other two routes will take longer but are more scenic in spades, especially the route that goes through Capitol Reef, over Boulder Mountain via Hwy. 12 and through Grand Staircase-Escalante en route to Bryce and/or Zion.  Truly, you cannot go wrong with any of these routes.  If you go south toward Monument Valley you'll have the opportunity to shoot that area, then Page/Lake Powell, possibly Grand Canyon, on your way to Zion and Death Valley.  Definitely set aside a day or so to explore Valley of Fire SP in Nevada.

Best of luck. May the sweet light be with you!

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2014, 04:34:55 pm »

Bryce to DV. I was responding to your comment about the dangers of relying on Highway 12 being clear. Would UT20 and I15 probably be OK?

Bryce to  Death Valley won't be the issue. Getting from Moab to Bryce is what could get tricky (if you decide to go Highway 12, and the weather turns ugly). Brett pretty much has is covered.

The best/easiest way to get from Bryce to DV is down Highway 89 and then Highway 9 thru Zion (to Springdale and St. George (where you pick up I-15).  Note that if you go that way, you have to pay the Zion National park entrance fee.  However, for the number of parks you are wanting to visit, I'd HIGHLY recommend spending the $80 for the national parks pass. Once you have that, you won't have to pay another fee for 12 months.  Considering that it's $10 at Arches, $10 at Canyonlands, $25 for Bryce, $25 for Zion and $20 for Death Valley, it makes economic sense.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2014, 07:10:42 pm »

Pahrump, NV.  It's about 350 miles from Bryce, not including any stops at Zion along the way.  Pahrump has several large hotels and restaurants priced well below those in Vegas and positions you perfectly for a hour-long run morning in to Death Valley with the sun at your back.  Leave before dawn.
Plus, it's where the whore houses are located....I've heard.

markadams99

• http://thelightcavalry.zenfolio.com
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2014, 09:19:36 pm »

I've just spent another week in Boulder, Utah, (great weather, empty Escalante, paradise really). You shouldn't miss Highway 12. They told me in Boulder that the road clearance ops are very efficient, but if you hear that the high route is blocked, you can reach Boulder with this extremely scenic, partly dirt road alternative (gas up in Hanksville):

And if you do, then consider hiking Upper Muley Twist canyon and up to the rim of the Waterpocket Fold. For me this is the biggest bang for the least effort of any hike I know. 4wd desirable, but you should fork out for an SUV anyway. Just make sure they don't give you a 2wd SUV.

In winter some car rental locations charge nutty rates for SUVs which can justify flying from SLC or Denver to e.g. Grand Junction or St George or Cedar City if you can save $100's on rental and a few hours of driving
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 09:27:28 pm by markadams99 »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2014, 10:27:24 pm »

... if you hear that the high route is blocked, you can reach Boulder with this extremely scenic, partly dirt road alternative (gas up in Hanksville):

I'll second that recommendation.  This road is all low elevation and delightful from end to end.  Unless the weather has been poor, any roadworthy vehicle can safely negotiate it.  The paved, southern portion of the road threads a very scenic narrow canyon. The gravel, northern portion traverses the Waterpocket Fold.

Here's an image of the road at its most difficult.

To get a sense of part of road, notice the second vehicle, one inch up from the bottom border and two inches in from the left.  Frito (my Sprinter) is RWD.

sierraman

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2014, 11:10:11 pm »

There is a lot to see and photograph between SLC and Moab.  Having said that, if I were you, I would just plan to get to Moab straight away rather than wandering around in the Swell or elsewhere en route to Moab.  This is a target rich environment and from the standpoint of productivity you'll be much more satisfied here than areas in between SLC and Moab.  You've already received some solid suggestions for areas to photograph around Moab.  I'll add that you might find my ebook, "The Essential Guide to Photographing Arches National Park" to be of value.  Don't hesitate to stop in at my gallery in Moab if you've got questions about the area upon your arrival.  The Edge Gallery is at 137 N. Main St., right next to the best breakfast joint in town: The Love Muffin.

From Moab you have three options: go south toward Monument Valley or go north and then west toward Capitol Reef or Zion via I-70.  Zion via I-70 is the fastest, least scenic route.  Either of the other two routes will take longer but are more scenic in spades, especially the route that goes through Capitol Reef, over Boulder Mountain via Hwy. 12 and through Grand Staircase-Escalante en route to Bryce and/or Zion.  Truly, you cannot go wrong with any of these routes.  If you go south toward Monument Valley you'll have the opportunity to shoot that area, then Page/Lake Powell, possibly Grand Canyon, on your way to Zion and Death Valley.  Definitely set aside a day or so to explore Valley of Fire SP in Nevada.

Best of luck. May the sweet light be with you!

I'd have to agree with Bret. The Moab area has the most bang-for-the-buck. Of course you can't get to each and every spot recommended here, but between Arches, CanyonLands, Dead Horse point, and Castle Valley area with the Fisher Towers, you can't go wrong spending as much time as you can in the Moab area.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 03:20:31 pm by sierraman »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2014, 04:00:29 am »

Thank you all for the advice: it's really very helpful indeed.

Bret, I already have your ebook (and Martrès's book) and I certainly intend to visit your gallery while I'm in Moab.

I'm looking forward to this trip! It's a shame I won't be able to visit every location that's been recommended. Next time.

Jeremy
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up