Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 8300 unusual ink usage or normal?  (Read 718 times)

smjphoto

8300 unusual ink usage or normal?
« on: January 04, 2014, 09:50:16 pm »

I have a ipf 8300 showing about 1150 sq ft of use. Is it normal to consume two 330ml PGY ink cartridges with all other original cartridges still showing 50% -80% full . Maintenance cartridge shows 40%. I don't do a lot of B&W or use much matte black ink. Maybe 20% has been on Lyve canvas.

I just want to know if this is within the norm of ink usage. I've not experienced this with previous epsons.
thanks for your advice in advance,
Stuart

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: 8300 unusual ink usage or normal?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 12:15:27 am »

When last I checked I was at 2138 ml of PGY for 30,000 square feet, or 6.5 330ml cartridges, or about 0.072 ml per square foot.  I print mostly matte canvas.

So by simple math I would expect you to be at 82ml for 1150 square feet.  Something doesn't add up.

Maybe there's something wrong with the ink sensing.  Did you save the used carts?  A simple shake test can detect any remaining liquid.  For every cartridge the printer has told be to change I have never felt any sloshing.  An empty cart weighs roughly 112 grams.  

The printer uses about 1/2 of each of the carts to prime itself at startup.  The reporting of cartridge status on the initial set of cartridges is not correct on the 8300.  I remember that several carts went from apparently almost full to empty in very little time.  But for the second set of carts on, all was correct.

For normal color printing GY and Y are used at more than twice the rate of PGY.

OK, so not much help.  I wonder if you have a wiggy profile?  All that PGY ink must be going somewhere other than the maintenance tank which would otherwise be full by now.  Do your prints take a long time to dry?  Have you looked for leaks in and under the printer and along the black suction panel under the printhead path?

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 05:42:14 am »

iPF uses more neutral inks than SP, so PGY, GY, PBK/MK are usually the ones most frequently changed. The good news is that iPF's total ink consumption is about 70% of SP's, and that it uses much, much less ink for maintenance (as long as you keep it on 24/7).

On the other hand it's a little bit weird that your printer uses more PGY than GY and PBK/MK...

« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 05:46:57 am by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

smjphoto

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 08:51:41 pm »

Thanks so much for the quick replies! I checked the printer for evidence of leaks. I found nothing other than the vacuum slot near the middle (26.25" from right edge of paper path ) usually has some residual ink at the surface. I assume this has to do with the fact that I usually use 24" rolls. Then I went back to measure the weight of the first cartridge I replaced (112grams). Then I saw that it was GY and not PGY!!!! So I've used 1 pgy and now 1 pgy. That seems much more normal.
 Sorry for the wild goose chase. Or as Emily Litella, a fictional character played by comedian Gilda Radner would say after a mistaken rant : "Never Mind"

Stuart
Pages: [1]   Go Up