Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saving HD Video From FCPro to DVD  (Read 7953 times)

deanwork

Saving HD Video From FCPro to DVD
« on: January 03, 2014, 12:28:56 pm »

Maybe someone here can help me.

I have just learned Final Cut Pro editing from the Lynda.com lessons. I have completed a 15 minute video that I am very happy with. It was originally shot on a Nikon D800 at max hd resolution. I have exported this to a Quicktime format to view on my Mac and everything looks great. This  Quicktime file comes to almost 2 gigs.

What I need to learn how to do is save this movie on a dvd for playing on a small standard dvd player for a gallery installation. It will be on a 15 minute loop.

Can someone tell me what format and settings I need to use for making it readable on an everyday dvd player. I want to show it both as a large projected video as well as have it available for viewing on hd tvs.

Any help or resources to read would be very helpful.

Thanks,

John

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Re: Saving HD Video From FCPro to DVD
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 12:44:34 pm »

Unless you wish to learn the rather arcane techniques of authoring a DVD/BluRay from scratch, I would highly recommend Roxio's Toast which will take the completed video and 'author' it to DVD or BluRay without much of a learning curve.

My experience with Toast is Mac only. I do note however that they have a very similar but differently named product for Windows.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 02:20:30 pm »

I used to do battle with compressor. Then I spotted the make DVD button in iMovie (or similar name)
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

deanwork

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 05:05:16 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions about Toast and I Movie.

If I Movie can output to dvd shouldn't an expensive program like final cut pro do it also?

I'm wondering what I should save it as to take into I Movie if I can't save to dvd from final cut.

I guess I could import my quicktime file that was saved from final cut into I Movie but I"m concerned that it would become compressed twice and loose data.

Totally new to this.

john

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 05:20:27 pm »

Are you using FCP X? If so, it has a 'Share' to DVD output. The older FCP 7 does not.

The basic workflow in FCP 7 (and for FCP X or Premiere for me) is to output a Master file at the resolution of the original but in Apple ProRes 422 (possibly444) format. Then all compression types can originate from that Master file.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 05:23:28 pm by Chris Sanderson »

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 06:20:04 pm »

Fcp7 suite contains Compressor a seperate app to prepare your file for DVDs millions of settings -

(Roughly file export using compressor .. DVD settings .. Pick some.. Etc.)

Once you have your file(s) (one audio one video)  you then use another part of the fcp suite - DVD Studio Pro to make the DVD - design chapters add images animations whatever.

With DVD Studio Pro  you can get really in depth add subtitles, extras, animation music just like a real DVD . the real deal - but that stuff was beyond my pay grade so I basically gave up with it.

I found it simpler just to load my film (your 2gb file) into iMovie and press share as DVD or whatever the wizard tells you to do.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 06:34:42 pm by Morgan_Moore »

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 06:42:07 pm »

You should clarify if you are on 7 or x.

I beleive an extra joy of fcp7 is that compressor does not work above os10.5 so you have to buy compressor x from the App Store

deanwork

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 11:17:56 pm »

I'm sorry. Thanks a lot for these comments. I have FCP 6. It came with an 8 core Mac Pro that I bought used. I have heard so many complaints about X being a really different interface that I've decided to work with what I have.

You can not "Share" to a dvd or blue ray like you can with later versions.

I can make a dvd by exporting to a quicktime file and going to Idvd from there and making a dvd playable on a standard dvd player. The image quality looks ok for non hd, even with this being compressed twice, ( which I do not like obviously ) but I'm seeing all kinds of glitches like flashes of pixels in transitions and the occasional flash of a totally gray screen out of nowhere. I"m combining stills with video and a lot of audio layers. Quicktime files looks great on the Mac and even hd like resolution, but there are lots of issues with the standard dvds I've burned from them. I end up with different images or videos having flaws each time I do one.

Ultimately since I have shot this work in HD with max resolution on my D800 and it looks very nice,sharp, and noise free, I really want to make blue ray discs. I guess I"ll buy as inexpensive of a blue ray burner as I can find and see if it does a better job with my quicktime files.

I will also explore the option suggested here of using FTP to save as some other hd format.

John

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 08:14:07 am »

I hate 'x'

Did your computer come with 'dvd studio pro' part of the FCP suite? you could try it if it runs

As for iDVD corrupting - sorry cant really help - works fine for me!

S

deanwork

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 01:13:24 pm »

Everybody seem to hate X, even pro film makers I've talked to.

Thanks the suggestion of Studio Pro. I do believe I have that and can try it. If worse comes to worse I'll take this quicktime file to a pro editor and see if they can make me a blue ray from it.

john

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 05:14:03 pm »

Everybody seem to hate X, even pro film makers I've talked to...
Not everyone. Apple made a complete balls-up of the introduction and wear that with shame and suffer the long-term consequences of alienating a large part of their pro user base.

However, FCP X software is now very competent - albeit not without some shortcomings: audio for one. The main problem for Apple is the steep learning curve for those used to traditional NLEs. It is a re-boot for most editors.

But something as simple as exporting ('sharing' in the new parlance  ??? ) to DVD or BluRay is a doddle.

deanwork

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 08:42:45 pm »

Yea, its hard for me to comment much as I haven't even seen the FCP X interface. I do know that Apple's Logic is an amazing platform for audio recording, production, and editing. It is truly a pro recording studio. It also functions a lot like FCP 6 in its garage band like use of visual drag and drop intuitive workflow, and they should complement each other very well. I thought it would take me 6 months to create a decent professional looking hd video with my own guitar music, video, and and samples. But, it only took me over the holidays to do that 15 minute short combining a lot of  material in a pretty dense piece.

Now if I can just learn to make good dvs and blue rays without corruption I'll be totally happy and have no immediate need for a FCP upgrade, hopefully.

john

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 12:16:01 pm »

Everybody seem to hate X, even pro film makers I've talked to.

Thanks the suggestion of Studio Pro. I do believe I have that and can try it. If worse comes to worse I'll take this quicktime file to a pro editor and see if they can make me a blue ray from it.

john

It seems all experienced film editors hate (hated x).  All I can say is that as a complete newcomer to video editing FCPx is superb - and if an idiot like me can use it - it can't be that hard!

Jim

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 04:26:11 pm »

I think is x hate worthy deserves a new thread... http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=86034.0
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 04:28:54 pm by Morgan_Moore »

deanwork

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 10:39:26 am »

I have two more question regarding this.

Can you import the original FCP 4 file into Toast directly without having to convert to something like Quicktime? Where I run into problems with glitches is when converting the original file to Quicktime. I get brief frozen moments when transitioning from a video clip to another video clip, or from a still jpeg to a video clip.  This is not happening in the final cut pro window. It doesn't happen on all transitions just some, with or without transition filters applied.

Also do I need a separate blue ray burner to do this or can a Mac with 10.8.5 do it with Toast installed?

Any ideas would be helpful.

John

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 04:31:07 am »

guess

You probably need to get your file to H264 for passing to Toast

You could do File Export* in FCP7 which will just export the file in your edit codec of the sequence, open that file in QuickTime7 and then 'file export as 264' from QT7 and then take that file to Toast.

In FCP "File Export" is is not the same as "File Export Using Quicktime Conversion"

deanwork

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 11:08:34 am »

Thanks I appreciate that.

deanwork

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 06:19:22 pm »

Does anyone have any idea who you save this project as H264 or some equivalent in FCP 4 to make a blue ray in Toast?

I don't that listed as an option to Export to…

john

deanwork

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 03:48:54 pm »

The easy answer to my question is: the reason I was having glitches, frozen sections, jumps and bad transitions between my still images and video footage was how it was being saved in Quicktime from FCP 6.

I shot all of this on the Nikon D800 and I"m so surprised at how good it all looks in HD now. So now my Final Cut Pro 6 is doing everything I need to do,) as long as I don't upgrade to Maverick I imagine.)

I didn't realize before that you could save to Apple 422 - 1920x1080 resolution in the Quicktime menu. I was looking for that in the Final Cut Pro pull down menu.

Once I did that, my video is perfect and very high resolution with perfect wipes, dissolves, and iris transitions, and excellent sound. The only downside of course is that it is now a 20 gig file. But I should be able to plug in a blue ray burner to the Mac and use toast to make the final Blue Ray disc. When I saved one to 1280 resolution it is only 10 gig but can definitely see the resolution difference, even on my 27" NEC display.

john

Pages: [1]   Go Up