Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Storing rolls of paper/canvas  (Read 8579 times)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Storing rolls of paper/canvas
« on: January 03, 2014, 11:51:33 am »

Is there a recommended way to store paper and canvas in their boxes?  Should it be standing upright or laying down; i.e. horizontal vs vertically?
Mike Guilbault

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: Storing rolls of paper/canvas
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 12:20:07 pm »

#1 in my shop is that they should be put back in the plastic sleeve to keep dust out and moisture in.  Helps prevent creeping edge curl for certain heavy media.

What you shouldn't do...lay rolls flat on a surface which creates flats, especially if the roll is still relatively full and therefore heavy.  Also, you shouldn't lean bare or even sleaved rolls against the wall which distorts the supporting edge on the floor.

I always at least put the roll back in the sleeve, and re attach the plastic end caps.  Putting all that back in the box makes it possible to stack several rolls up, in either direction.

I have seen arrangements where several end caps were screwed down a few inches apart to piece of plywood.  Rolls were simply pushed down into the caps and left standing vertically.  Or, you can buy a bunch of thick wood dowels and store the rolls horizontally on pairs of little hook hanger thingies on the wall, of course the dowels need not fit tight.  Or you can buy a few $1000 worth of printer spindles and do the same which may be long-term worth it in a production shop.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 12:23:14 pm by bill t. »

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 02:21:44 pm »

I always put the paper back in the plastic, with end caps and back in the box. I assume that because of the end caps that it won't matter if they're vertical or horizontal.  Good to know and thanks for the extra tips Bill.
Mike Guilbault

hugowolf

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 12:14:25 am »

The advice has always been to store sheets horizontally and rolls vertically. I have never had enough room for storing all my sheet paper in flat files, but storing rolls upright is no problem. The only rational I have heard for the roll thing is the possibility of sagging in the middle of the roll, and I have seen that happen. Not so much with printing paper, but with background seamless background paper it certainly happens.

Brian A

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 08:52:14 am »

An office cabinet laid on its side and adapted for spindles + rolls stored horizontal.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 11:27:18 am »

I've been storing the shorter rolls, 24" or less horizontally and 36" and up vertically.  I think the problem with sagging would pertain more to the longer rolls where the weight of the paper is more than the strength of roll that it's wound on to.
Mike Guilbault

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 12:11:50 pm »

I've been storing the shorter rolls, 24" or less horizontally and 36" and up vertically.  I think the problem with sagging would pertain more to the longer rolls where the weight of the paper is more than the strength of roll that it's wound on to.

If the horizontal roll is supported by a steel tube through the core it will not sag.

What I recall were problems with 60" canvas rolls delivered to a friend. Stored horizontally in their boxes by the supplier. They went back.

Ernst, op de lei getypt.

bill t.

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 07:36:35 pm »

I just looked at every box of too-short-to-use but too-long-to-toss media that I have.  What a collection!  The only indication of a preferred storage orientation are arrow graphics on 24" and 44" boxes of Epson Gloss Canvas that clearly indicate a horizontal preference, in stacks of 8 boxes.  And also that you should hold an umbrella over the box in the rain.  So there you are, straight from the horse's mouth.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 08:15:07 pm »

I made my own rack using a stainless steel shelving unit from Sam's and plywood.  The upper part holds paper on the roll and lower holds boxes and supplies.
I looked for racks but ultimately made my own for the cost and customization.  I can store any length roll - I just bought extra spindles.

Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

hugowolf

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 08:05:15 pm »

- I just bought extra spindles.

Newer large format Epson printers do not use spindles, and the replacement 'Roll Media Adapters' are $140 a pair.

Brian A

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 03:43:32 am »

I looked for racks but ultimately made my own for the cost and customization.  I can store any length roll - I just bought extra spindles.

My approach too. 4 spindles right now for 2 printers but would like more and the HP ones are not that expensive. The cabinet holds 10 rolls so at least 6 rolls are stored on 123 cm long steel tubes in the core. Considering another cabinet for more rolls to store and want to integrate a small dehumidifier to keep humidity controlled which is usually too high here.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 09:24:54 am »

Heh, when not in use, most of my rolls of foto paper and canvas are kept on their sides, in their original packaging, with bags of cat food on top.  :D

johnATshadesofpaper

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 09:32:02 am »

take a look at this floor rack, they are made for either a 2" or 3" core
John Ferriola
856-787-9200
www.shadesofpaper.com

bill t.

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 01:31:57 pm »

Justan, is it OK to use Friskes?  And roughly how many cans per square foot?

Sometimes my wife uses canvas boxes-in-waiting to raise the height of her door-slab work table a few inches, they fit neatly between the  underlying fold-up table and the slab.  I used to do that to get my work table up to the height of the underpinner for nailing big frames.  But mostly those boxes keep the varnish pails company under the printer, I'm just not a bin kind of guy.

I like the floor rack, all large things in a small shops should have wheels.  Just keep those rolls wound up tight.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 01:33:56 pm by bill t. »

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 06:24:04 pm »

>Justan, is it OK to use Friskes? 

Sure! Dry food helps to absorb moisture around here, almost as well as desiccant. That’s probably not an issue in NM but here in the great northwet you can feel the change as you an approach the cat food. It is usually noticed first when the dew on the webbing between our fingers starts to dry… or when the cats stir because they’re gonna be fed.

>And roughly how many cans per square foot?

Depends on the size of the cans, and if they are full or empty, but in any event, enough so that the cats aren’t encouraged to jump up and use the boxes as scratching posts yet again, or to chew their way through the bags. They did that for fun when they were younger  :o

> Sometimes my wife uses canvas boxes-in-waiting to raise the height of her door-slab work table a few inches, they fit neatly between the  underlying fold-up table and the slab.  I used to do that to get my work table up to the height of the underpinner for nailing big frames.  But mostly those boxes keep the varnish pails company under the printer, I'm just not a bin kind of guy.

Sure, they’re great building blocks. I often use a bunch of empties, and sometimes a full one or two as an impromptu barricade to keep the cats out of one of the rooms, while keeping the door open. Why I do that is a long story but anyway, the cats are old and too lazy to jump over the boxes or just bulldoze their way through.

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 07:47:46 pm »

I built a wooden rack that I mounted to the wall, and it works perfectly. I use PVC pipe to hold the rolls. Works like a charm!
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 10:29:26 pm »

That looks great Andy. 
Mike Guilbault
Pages: [1]   Go Up