Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lack of 16bit print  (Read 25664 times)

Sbarroso

Re: Lack of 16bit print
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2015, 05:45:05 pm »

Hi everybody!

This is my first post here in the forum, although I'm reading already for a while to learn about printing.

I will start with my conclusion after a real test: indeed, Lightroom sends 8 bits data to the XPS driver. But the XPS is capable of 16 bits printing, when it gets them (from e.g. Print Studio Pro).

I found to this thread after experimenting a banding issue. I printed a BW picture with a quite clear sky, which resulted a perfect test for banding (you can see the picture here: https://flic.kr/p/rnMFte)

I printed the picture in my new Canon Pixma Pro-1 (BW output) from LR (5.7.1, Windows 8.1 64 bit) using the XPS driver. I like LR for printing, since it's very easy to use and has the advantage of setting the resolution following the procedure of Jeff Schewe. To my surprise, as soon as I saw the print out of the printer I saw the banding! :o May be my mother would not detected it at a glance, but it was definitively noticeable with a bit of attention, no need to pixel peeping nor magnifying glass.

Since there was also a small surface defect , I had the excuse to print the picture again. This time I exported a 16bit TIFF file, I've open it in Canon's DPP and printed using Print Studio Pro plug in (XPS driver selected, BW output). The result: no banding!

I hope LR 6 comes with a solution. Meanwhile I will have to export those pictures prone to show banding. I will try to do a test (but not in A3+ this time... €€) using the Print Studio Pro directly from LR, so I can save a bit of time.

regards,
Santiago
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 05:48:36 pm by Sbarroso »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up