Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Bronzing  (Read 2846 times)

rvamos

Z3100 Bronzing
« on: January 02, 2014, 10:09:30 am »

Hi.  I just returned from a 30 day trip and when I printed a few photographs I noticed they were suffering from rather severe bronzing.  I messed around with the settings, paper calibration, etc. but nothing is solving the problem.  The printer says theres still 44ml left in my gloss enhancer cartridge (E).  I never had this problem occur before. Does anyone know what could be happening?  Is the lack of gloss enhancer the only thing that can cause bronzing on this printer, or can there be other causes?  Thanks in advance for your help.

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: Z3100 Bronzing
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 10:28:59 am »

did you use the same paper as before?

The GE only works well at some papers, especially those from HP...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

rvamos

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 11:26:53 am »

Yes, I'm using the same paper.  In fact, I changed nothing.  Just pulled the plug from the wall and locked the door.  Came back 30 days later and suddenly all my prints have bronzing issues.  Very strange.  I thought maybe the E nozzle was clogged up so I ran a few cleaning cycles but that did not help.  I should mention that my cartridges are all quite old and thus have "expired", but that has never made a difference.  The only other thing I can imagine is that the E cartridge is actually empty but for some reason the printer still thinks it has liquid in it.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 11:54:29 am »

OK

never had that problem...

You can put the printer off - also with the rear button- and check the weight of the cartridges (EG). see if it is empty.

put it back on
and if there is still GE print a diagnostic print from the quality menu to see if the GE is working- (but you can also see it on the blank parts of the paper)

Are you printing black and white and what paper do you use?

« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 11:58:08 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

rvamos

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 01:50:32 pm »

I use Canson Photo Satin.  I just printed a diagnostic and apparently the gloss enhancer is printing - there is a less shiny rectangle within a more bronzed rectangle labeled with an E.  I imagine that is what it's supposed to be.  Also, on my prints there is a thin coat of varnish-like substance in the white areas - I imagine that's the gloss enhancer. So the mystery is even greater now. If you have any idea as to what might be going on, I would appreciate it.

rvamos

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 01:54:30 pm »

Oh - and I am printing both color and BW.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 03:52:05 pm »

Then i do not know the solution-
I think it stil must be the combination ink-paper... maybe Canson has changed something...
you can try to change the GE to 120% in the papertype box of the utilities.. that is all i can think of..
regards,

Pieter Kers

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

tektrader

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 04:54:48 pm »

Maybe the GE head is clogged ??

namartinnz

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 07:26:18 pm »

Asking a silly question here, but under the paper print setting have you set GE to cover entire page? In economy I always experienced bronzing so left in on whole page. And I wouldn't recommend turning it the Z3100 off in future if possible, it's great for self maintenance.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 08:32:25 pm by namartinnz »

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 08:48:52 pm »

Asking a silly question here, but under the paper print setting have you set GE to cover entire page? In economy I always experienced bronzing so left in on whole page. And I wouldn't recommend turning it the Z3100 off in future if possible, it's great for self maintenance.
I put GE on or off- economic is OK but you have a chance that white on the photo does not get any GE- ( a thing you can use to your advantage in some occasions)
I did not want you to put the printer off permanently (- if you do that the heads will clog) but just to see if there is ink in the GE by pulling the GE and feel if there is still ink in it...

To be sure my printer works the way it did when i bought it i have printed a reference image back then that i always compare with the situation now. I can say that over 7 years my printer is very stable. It is the reference for my images.
Also i save the calibration targets - they show me if there is something wrong with the heads... I had two times that ink inside a head was mixed instead of separated.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

namartinnz

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 09:42:37 pm »

The only other thing I can suggest is you may have a print head go faulty, and buy a replacement one if everything seems to be working fine.

rvamos

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 06:51:02 am »

I seem to have it working now, after a few more cleaning cycles and changing some print settings in Lightroom.  I did have GE on for the whole paper, so that was not the issue.  What I did was changing from "Vendor" (what a silly name!) to "ColorSync" in the print dialog box and then inputing the paper profile in the color management bar in Lightroom.  Strange that it was fine before, though...My B&Ws are printing fine now, but I still get bronzing (though it's diminished) in saturated color photos, especially tree trunks, where a lot of gray ink seems to be used.  Do any of you have this experience?  Have any of you ever had any bronzing in your prints?

Anyway, the reason I take the powercord from the wall socket when I am away for a long time is because of electrical storms that are all too frequent here in the summer (I live in Rio).

Thanks for all your replies, by the way!

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 08:14:49 am »

Neither of my Z series printers has had any bronzing issues.

FWIW, there is a device called a voltage regulator that I routinely use in places where power supplies can be variable. This will protect any electrical device for all but the most extreme power surges and under voltage conditions. It is not a UPS but outperforms many UPS devices for protecting against surges and brown outs http://www.apc.com/products/family/?id=67 Generally they cost less than a print head..........

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 09:17:27 am »

The Ilford P G Smooth Pearl is a paper that gives me the least bronzing with both Z's. Pity that it may disappear.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

rvamos

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 11:06:29 am »

Ernst, by your reply I seem to understand that you do see some bronzing in your prints on the Z series - is that correct?  Though it does not solve the problem at least it makes me feel better that I'm not alone! :)

As for the voltage protector, I use one but the problem here is that not only is the voltage very unstable, but sometimes lightning hits my building and fries everything.  Happened once and fried our elevator, for example.  Thankfully my equipment was on another circuit and did not get hit, but I learned my lesson.
Pages: [1]   Go Up