Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Waiting on Shore  (Read 5024 times)

Bruce Cox

• flickr
Re: Waiting on Shore
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 10:14:05 am »

Nice image...but one thing that is a little bothersome  to me is that there is not enough of  that "wedge of black" at bottom right of frame...it is almost like the figure is standing on the bottom edge of the picture plane. I think a fraction more of that and a little less off the top...would suit the image.  /B

It seems to me that including more silhouetted black horizon worked in the B&W.  However, in the color version brandtb had his finger on the problem, but not the solution there.  If the horizon, and not the sculpture, were less black in the color version they would not tend to be seen as one thing, which they aren't.  Or, to use fewer negatives, separate the sculpture from the horizon somehow.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 10:28:40 am by Bruce Cox »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 01:34:31 pm »

... once that light dies, as it soon will, all hope dies with it and the new dawn will bring only despair.

Not all hope is lost... there is always moonlight  ;)

Rob C

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 03:10:15 pm »

Not all hope is lost... there is always moonlight  ;)

Beautiful shot, Slobodan.

Rob C

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 03:17:25 pm »

In the spirit of standard LuLa criticism, Slobodan, let me point out that it would have been better if you'd gotten the moon on the tip of that trident.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Michael Haspert

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 04:05:09 pm »

I found myself thinking "Wow, that's OOC?? I'm jealous, I mean, uh, I gotta get out more."

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2014, 05:00:21 pm »

In the spirit of standard LuLa criticism, Slobodan, let me point out that it would have been better if you'd gotten the moon on the tip of that trident.

The moon close to the wreath, as is, is good.  The trident would have its point, but under her left toe ...   She could dance.

RSL

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2014, 05:52:38 pm »

Good point Bruce. Next time see about that, Slobodan.

seamus finn

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2014, 08:29:44 am »

[quoteIt seems to me that including more silhouetted black horizon worked in the B&W.  However, in the color version brandtb had his finger on the problem, but not the solution there.  If the horizon, and not the sculpture, were less black in the color version they would not tend to be seen as one thing, which they aren't.  Or, to use fewer negatives, separate the sculpture from the horizon somehow.][/quote]

OK, forget about the moonlight.

Let's give her something to stand on. The ground and sculpture are pure black - nothing to be done. Take it or leave it,

« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 08:33:54 am by seamus finn »

RSL

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2014, 08:33:31 am »

NO! Now it looks as if she's waiting for her husband to come back from the city.

Damn! Leave it alone, Seamus. The first post was excellent. It's been going downhill with each iteration.

seamus finn

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2014, 08:36:11 am »

OK Russ,
Point taken.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 09:31:41 am by seamus finn »

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2014, 09:53:35 am »

Didn't mean to make trouble.  It's the mind's eye that matters anyhow.  Mine should have known better.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 09:56:13 am by Bruce Cox »

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2014, 12:33:21 pm »

The second color post is a different shot and different framing...apples and oranges.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 12:35:03 pm by brandtb »
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

seamus finn

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2014, 01:16:16 pm »

Yes - a different shot, about two seconds apart. It's all about the light in the end. And I'm done with nit-pickers, if you'll pardon the expression.

brandtb

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2014, 01:49:01 pm »

To OP...you posted your image in "User's Critques: A place for reasoned and civilized discussion about user submitted photographs".  If you don't want any comments/critiques/otherwise which is what Michael Reichmann set this particular forum up for , perhaps it should have been posted in one of the other forums...such as "Landscape & Nature Photography"? A thought.
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

seamus finn

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2014, 02:25:36 pm »

To OP...you posted your image in "User's Critques: A place for reasoned and civilized discussion about user submitted photographs".  If you don't want any comments/critiques/otherwise which is what Michael Reichmann set this particular forum up for , perhaps it should have been posted in one of the other forums...such as "Landscape & Nature Photography"? A thought.

I appreciate that thought and if I have offended you in any way, I apologise.

Over the years, I've discovered that more often than not, the first shot is the best shot. After that it's all technical.

RSL

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2014, 04:24:28 pm »

Everybody considers himself a genius post-processor, but damned few are competent photographers. You can second-guess any photograph you see. I can nit-pick HCB's and Ansel's stuff too, but that kind of nit-picking hasn't anything to do with reality. As Seamus says, almost always the first shot -- the view that made you lift the camera -- is the right one. What's more, there are very few situations where a picture contains enough information about what might be beyond the frame to warrant a recommendation for a change of point of view. Sometimes a suggestion about post-processing actually can improve a picture, but even then, on LuLa you're basing your suggestion on a small, compressed JPEG. Most people haven't a clue whether or not or how post-processing can improve a picture. Slobodan's one of the few who has a clue (though we often disagree), and there are a couple others here who understand enough to make a reasonable, if not always correct recommendation. But most of what passes for constructive criticism here is, in fact, nit-picking.

brandtb

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2014, 06:14:09 pm »

A couple of thought on the previous post. Again, the forum is called  "User Critiques: A place for reasoned and civilized discussion about user submitted photographs".  From the title one can gather that it is not per se limited to what you call "post-processing" (whatever that may be to you). Surely you know a critique can be a myriad of things - from content, the composition/framing of content, the exposure, focus etc. etc. ad infinitum (unfortunately the first two are often times the ones that are left least considered sadly).  

Does this really make sense?
there are very few situations where a picture contains enough information about what might be beyond the frame to warrant a recommendation for a change of point of view
I'm not so sure. In the instance of the originally posted image - a good example. My feeling was that based on the what was posted that it needed more landscape, and sure enough there was another similar image that wasn't framed so tight. But what if that wasn't the case. If I or anyone else sees an image put up for critique, they can make any sort of recommendation they feel appropriate based on that image - does it matter that it would have been virtually impossible to do differently? Hardly. What would that matter anyway...we don't make critiques about only what was possible sic...but only in what is presented.  /B
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 06:41:50 pm by brandtb »
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

RSL

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2014, 07:11:56 pm »

If I or anyone else sees an image put up for critique, they can make any sort of recommendation they feel appropriate based on that image

Yes, and often they do, resulting in some of the most asinine comments you'll ever in this life see.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up