Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Humidifier for Print Room?  (Read 7484 times)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Humidifier for Print Room?
« on: January 01, 2014, 11:40:28 am »

Any recommendations for a humidifier for a print room?  It's a little over 500 sq ft.  This is the one I'm considering:

http://www.sears.ca/product/kenmore-md-454-litre-digital-humidifier/642-000017871-758_3_29982OC

I have a small one in there now, but it doesn't shut off when the water runs out and I'm filling it twice a day.  The output isn't that great either.  I can barely get it to 40% after 4-5 hours of running.
Mike Guilbault

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: Humidifier for Print Room?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 01:42:19 pm »

Have been thinking about this too.  You can also install humidifiers into the central heating/cooling system ducts.  They tap into the water supply and keep themselves filled, with some you would have to remove mineral residues once in a while.  The 8300 isn't sensitive to the 25% humidity around here, but sometimes I am.

FWIW when I moved into my present house there was a very primitive, self filling system installed into the top of my central gas heater.  It had a very slow leak in a place I couldn't see.  My first winter in that house was highlighted by a $2300 heater replacement.  Just sayin'.

Here's one random example with user reviews.  Looks like it runs a steady stream of water to automatically wash away the residue, so maybe not an environmentally friendly choice.  

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-HE360A-Whole-Powered-Humidifier/dp/B000DZHFDW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1388600094&sr=8-8&keywords=central+heating+humidifier

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 02:07:05 pm »

The Honeywell has more capacity than your Kenmore; probably not as convenient as a "whole house" humidifier.  I'm lucky that the CA central coast has good natural humidity. 

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-QuietCare-Humidifier-Technology-HCM-6009/dp/B000G0LDRI/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&srs=2529571011&ie=UTF8&qid=1388603174&sr=1-2&keywords=honeywell+humidifier

I think this is the one Jon Cone (Inkjetmall) uses in his print studio.

ken

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 10:47:23 am »

Well I walked into the studio this morning and the humidity was 26%.  I went and got the Kenmore mentioned in my opening post (on sale for C$149 - today is the last day of the sale) and within 15 minutes I'm already at 31% at my printers.  At the humidifier it reads 38%.  I've set it for 50% which should get me to at least 40% at the printer.  I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Room is sitting comfortably now at 43% RH, within the 40-60% recommended range.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 02:17:33 pm by Mike Guilbault »
Mike Guilbault

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 01:35:43 pm »

I have a slightly different situation, where I live (the semi-arid Okanagan Valley in BC) it is usually much dryer in the summer than in the winter, relative humidity drops into the 20's percent in the summer vs 40 - 60's percent in the winter. But never the less, it's very dry during part of the year. We air-condition the house, but not usually below 26 - 28C (it's sometimes >40C outside) and relative humidity usually stays below 30%. Semi-arid areas/deserts are also usually fairly dusty because it's often windy and that's another problem.

The solution I'm planning to test out this year is to mount my Epson 3880 on a lid of a largish clear plastic tub. When the printer is not in use I will put the tub over the printer along with a wet sponge on a tray to seal the humidity in and the dust out. I am going to use a clear plastic tub so that I can read a humidity gauge I will put inside on top of the printer.

A question for those who are using a whole house or room humidifier, have you noticed a change in the amount of static electricity and the behavior of dust to "stick to things", i.e. dust on paper, when the humidifier is running?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 01:37:42 pm by JayWPage »
Jay W Page

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 03:48:39 pm »

I live in Utah which is pretty arid and dry, but because I have in floor heat instead of forced air, I also see lower humidity in the summer from air-conditioning. 

Using a sponge as you describe may be helpful, but I would suspect that having the printer in a less dry environment all the time even while operating is more ideal.  What many don’t realize is a major part of the problem is dust and dirt in the air which can exacerbate clogs. this  leads to your question, my room humidifier seems to have reduced static and dust doesn’t seem as serious. One concern with the sponge as opposed to a controlled humidity environment is mold, something to watch closely (also a problem with humidifiers so changing the wick and using a bacteriostat is important).  Sponges don’t usually work very well because the humidity disperses so quickly, but sealing it in the tub would tend to trap it and perhaps would work.

An additional note, for me the humidity has been beneficial to roll paper such as gold fiber  and exhibition fiber, so the benefits are more than reduced clogs.  I think it helps even sheet papers.

Many clogs in epson printers may result from something other than dried ink. I think as the printer sits, the pressure drops and allows air to enter the nozzles.  Certainly this can dry the ink and create an issue, but until that air is purged no ink comes out either.  End result is the same, it takes cleaning cycles to resolve, so really probably doesn’t matter which is the cause, other than perhaps this type of missing nozzle tends to resolve easier.

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 11:01:20 pm »

whatever humidifier you use, stay away from those with Cold-producing ones using ultrasonic to evaporate water because they also pump whatever is in water like minerals, bacteria and molds spray to the air and cause you more trouble plus may risk your health. read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humidifier

I always put a big bowl with 2 liter  capacity on the oven filled with water, keep the flame down all the way and it gives me excellent humidity, especially in winter it makes the studio feel warmer and cosy! It gives me around %45-%50 humidity when the windows are closed. You may like to add a little food grade citric acid, 1 grams/2litre to water to stop residue in your bowl and keep it clean and shiny always. Good luck!

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 11:24:50 am »

I read that about the ultrasonic units... and apparently you get a very fine dust-like residue on everything... not good for printers.  Thanks for pointing that out.
Mike Guilbault

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 03:48:59 pm »

I posted this in another thread, but seems more appropriate here for those that my reference this idea in the future ...

I bought one of these.  They modify a humidifier with a self filling mechanism.  I change the wicks every 3-4 months, add a little bactericide every few days, and my room stays at a constant 45% humidity. I planning on having a reverse osmosis unit added to the water supply which would extend the life of the wick by a few months.  I suppose I could have added my own fill mechanism to a standard humidifier, but this was quick and easy and works great.

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 12:03:09 am »

Sears had one that looked just like that - but I just don't have the room, unfortunately.  I also don't have access to a constant water outlet (it's a rented store front/studio with only a bathroom for water).  I did purchase that unit I originally posted and day to day I only have to top it up when I leave for the day and then I fill it up in the morning.  At least the tank can be filled in a sideways position so I can get it under the tap in the bathroom.

However, if I had the room and water available, I'd definitely look at one of those.
Mike Guilbault
Pages: [1]   Go Up