Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 MK-R printhead issue  (Read 3539 times)

hkoons

Z3100 MK-R printhead issue
« on: December 31, 2013, 07:46:33 pm »

I'm about to replace the belt on my Z3100.  The new belt arrived in today's mail.  I also ordered a new MK-R printhead.  Here's my issue:  When I check the status of the printheads in either the printer or its utility, it shows that they are all OK.  However, when I do a alignment and it spits out the chart of colors, the MK square is always blank, or white using white paper.  I first thought a good cleaning would do the trick.  I let the printer go through several printhead-clean cycles and it never improved the MK.  So, I then thought that I'd just replace it, which I will do once it arrives.  However, I'm still puzzled about the printer indicating that all printheads are just fine, i.e. OK.  And, I wonder if the printer knows more than I in my assumption that I just need a new printhead.
I'd appreciate if someone could cast a little light on this situation, and is there something that I should be looking at other than simply replacing the old printhead with new?  I should also mention that, yes, I did take the printhead out of the carriage and cleaned up any residue ink on the printhead as well as its receptacle.  It didn't seem to effect the test pattern.  Ink levels are all satisfactory.
howard

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Re: Z3100 MK-R printhead issue
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 08:35:43 pm »

The check is for operation, not physical junk building up and clogging things - which happens.  When you replace the belt you'll have it off and will be in for a big cleaning mess of everything.  I will bet it'll be just fine after that ;)

hkoons

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 02:41:39 pm »

Thank you for the reply.  I figured that I may not be needing the new printhead when it comes, but it's nice to have it just in case.  It must have been two weeks and it still hasn't arrived.
"The Check is for Operation" you say.  But it's not operating.  The Mk ink is not landing on the test print paper.  That's why I question how it can say that it's "OK" when it isn't.  How much worst can it get before it registers not OK?
And, yes, I hope that everything will run as nice as it always has once the belt replacement and major cleanup is performed.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 03:20:21 pm »

The printer has NO IDEA what happens to the ink once it leaves the head.  When it just builds up and gets clogged on the outside - it checks ok.  You'll understand when you see it.  I printed THOUSANDS of feet of paper - never needed a head.  If you leave the printer on, they are beyond durable.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 03:42:09 pm »

I'm about to replace the belt on my Z3100.  The new belt arrived in today's mail.  I also ordered a new MK-R printhead.  Here's my issue:  When I check the status of the printheads in either the printer or its utility, it shows that they are all OK.  However, when I do a alignment and it spits out the chart of colors, the MK square is always blank, or white using white paper.  I first thought a good cleaning would do the trick.  I let the printer go through several printhead-clean cycles and it never improved the MK.  So, I then thought that I'd just replace it, which I will do once it arrives.  However, I'm still puzzled about the printer indicating that all printheads are just fine, i.e. OK.  And, I wonder if the printer knows more than I in my assumption that I just need a new printhead.
I'd appreciate if someone could cast a little light on this situation, and is there something that I should be looking at other than simply replacing the old printhead with new?  I should also mention that, yes, I did take the printhead out of the carriage and cleaned up any residue ink on the printhead as well as its receptacle.  It didn't seem to effect the test pattern.  Ink levels are all satisfactory.
howard

If you do not see the MK patch on the Diagnostic Print then there is a problem. Replace it with the new one and see whether that delivers a full MK patch. What could be wise is replacing the ribbon cables too when the belt is being replaced. I did not on the Z3100 and it looks like the cables are not rigid enough to follow the head carriage movement today. In worst case that could influence the data transport when copper threads break.

I replace heads based on the diagnostic print and do not wait for the printer's comments on head quality. If banding appears at 300 PPI input resolution settings it is time to do something about it. The higher resolution settings may still work fine though.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

hkoons

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 01:49:50 pm »

I think you're both verifying what I previously believed, that the OK status provided by the printer and utility is mostly useless.  If no ink squirts, you have a printhead problem, either cleanup or replace.  I should mention here that I did clean the MK-R printhead and where it seats in the carriage.  It still didn't print on the test printout.  Also, the machine has remained plugged in since I bought it several years ago.  It still had factory original ink cartridges in it when I bought it and I'm a very low use user.  Unlike a lot of your more commercial users, I put very little demand on my printer but like it to be ready when I need it.
Given that information, Ernst, would you still recommend replacing the ribbon cable?
Thank you both for your input.
howard

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 04:01:28 pm »

I had to replace some heads in 7 year - and i think the MK gives more trouble - probably because the particles are bigger...I have to clean it more often...

If the machine says the heads are OK- don not believe it. Believe the facts. I am sure the new head will solve your problem.

succes!

PK

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 04:30:18 pm »

I
Given that information, Ernst, would you still recommend replacing the ribbon cable?
Thank you both for your input.
howard

I would, costs are low and it does take little time when the belt has to be replaced anyway. It isn't a good sound when the flat cable hits the steel plates surrounding it. Right now I improvised and the impact and noise are less but why not solve it right away.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

hkoons

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 11:42:31 pm »

Thank you all for the advice.  My printhead arrived today.  Starting next week I'll start breaking it down and with greatest hope and lots of luck I'll get it all back together again.
howard
Pages: [1]   Go Up