Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OM-D E-M5 startup problem... shuts down in seconds... anyone experienced this???  (Read 1284 times)

Dan Paris

In June 2013, I sold all of my Nikon gear and bought an OM-D E-M5 and Panasonic 12-35. Last week, while in Mexico, the camera stopped working. One minute it was fine, the next minute it wasn't.

Every time I turn the camera on, it remains powered for 6 - 7 seconds and then shuts down. While it's "on", none of the buttons work. The rear screen shows a live view but none of the usual information is displayed (aperture, ISO, etc). The live-view image also shifts color balance from yellow to natural white, as if it's warming up. I've tried using my spare battery and SD card to see if one of those is at fault but the result is always the same.

I suspect it's a software issue. Anyone else having the same problem??? Any suggestions?

Thanks, Dan

FYI... I'm not a newbie. I've been shooting since 1977 and have owned many Nikon, Canon, Olympus and Fuji bodies and lenses. I've had most of my gear serviced over the years as a preventative measure but this is only the second time I've ever experienced a serious problem (the first was an autofocus motor that crapped out in my Nikon 17-35 f/2.8).
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 01:15:51 pm by Dan Paris »

Telecaster

Dan, have you tried turning it on without the lens attached? I once came across symptoms similar to yours while using a Canon 10D...turned out to be the lens.

-Dave-
Pages: [1]   Go Up