Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Really Right Stuff or Gitzo  (Read 24048 times)

julienlanoo

Really Right Stuff or Gitzo
« on: December 31, 2013, 11:26:07 am »

So guys, i am wanting to buy a new large tripod. ( as my Manfrotto is absolutely used up)

I was looking to RRS tripods, they seem to have exactly what i would like being the: TVC-45 Versa 4,
As it is enormous.

I was also looking to Gitzo SYSTEMATIC Series 2 carbon tripod, long 4-section, eye level.

Now i am real interested in Really Right stuff tripod, and would like to know, is it durable enough ( i am a bit fed up with having tripods becoming unusable after 3-4 years).  Thus is RRS as strong / durable as Gitzo.?

The plus of Gitzo = it's light, It's extremely durable,  the Min of gitzo = it's small ( 150cm max hight) ..
The plus on Really Right Stuff = Its Hudge, the Min = a bit heavier, the unknown for me is what's the quality like ? is it a real pro kind of tripod or is it half and half ?

so any remarks ?..

greets
ju

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Re: Really Right Stuff or Gitzo
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 11:35:59 am »

You are not really comparing apples to apples in the Gitzo 2 series vs the RRS 4. A better comparison would be the Gitzo 5 series vs. the RRS 45, or the Gitzo 2 with the RRS 24.

I have Gitzos, but I think the RRS tripods have a little nicer details. They are both excellent designs. I think the RRS 2 has slightly fatter legs than the Gitzo 2 (but not necessarily heavier). Think of the RRS 2 as equal to a Gitzo 2.5, and the RRS 3 as a Gitzo 3.5.

If I was going to buy one today I would go for RRS.

Dave

Torbjörn Tapani

Re:
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 12:48:24 pm »

A big plus with Gitzo you can get a local dealer and service everywhere.

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 02:13:25 pm »

I was having the same dilemma and I found this:

http://kenro.co.uk/products/benro-combination-series-tripods/

From my experience, as well built as any Gitzo, great finish and no complaints so far, even though I have taken it to hell and back.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

julienlanoo

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 03:28:26 pm »

Thanks,
and thanks Dchew, to give me the insentive to have a "google search query",
my question was based on : gitzo not having a good website to search on :)

i found it now :) thanks :)

Some Guy

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 04:01:59 pm »

I went to the RRS shop when I was looking.  They also had the Gitzo lineup there too when they were at the old shop in SLO.  Don't know if they still sell Gitzo or not.  Was sort of nice to compare them side-by-side.  The RRS seemed a little large in the leg diameter back then with their rubber twist-lock grip.  If you have big hands, they are nice to grab onto.

The heads were different too.  The Gitzo had what looked to be a bent up tang for the clamp.  The RRS had the entire side piece as the clamp, plus I liked the flip-lever lock over the knob lock as it was faster.  I doubt if you can beat the BH-55 head over the Gitzo.

As to the legs, I went with the 3 section TV-33 or TV-34 (I don't remember other than it was a lot!) over the 4 section.  The three seems more stable, plus it takes more time to set up the four section leg unit too, and one slip-up forgetting to tighten one means it might fall over.  I'm not into bending over and fiddling with the lowest leg lock in the snow or tall wet grass that the 4 section affords.

Not that you might submerge your tripod in salt water, but they had some where they did that.  Came though fine.

There is a close copycat line of the RRS called Sirui R-series or something like that.  About half the price.  From what I remember, the head's casting for the leg locks where it joined to the tubes seemed a bit longer (durable?) than the RRS tripod.  Our local shop had the regional sales guy there one day demoing them.  Not bad looking either.

SG

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 05:15:14 pm »

For me... for shooting Architecture, a huge advantage to Gitzo is the ability to use a geared column (cremaliere).  I can't tell you how many times I've had a shot perfectly setup, the camera plumb and level with 2 - 3 hours of lighting in and then realized at the last moment that the camera needed to be 2 inches higher.

If you're that finicky (OCD) then a geared column can save you a whole lot of time versus extending legs, re-leveling the camera and trying to get the lens back in the same general position.

CB

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 05:30:04 pm »

For similar reasons to what Chris wrote,  I always like a center column.  I have one for both my Gitzo and RRS.  Adds some extra weight but easy to remove. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 07:41:21 pm »

Hi,

I have a Gitzo GT3541LS and also Versa 3 series from RRS. The RRS is better made. The shoulder assembly on the Gitzo is die cast while milled from precipitation hardened aluminum, which is much stronger. Leg diameter is larger on the RRS and the locking rings are thicker which is easy on the hands.

The factors above matter little for image quality.

I would be more concerned about the head.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 08:46:03 pm »

For me... for shooting Architecture, a huge advantage to Gitzo is the ability to use a geared column (cremaliere).  I can't tell you how many times I've had a shot perfectly setup, the camera plumb and level with 2 - 3 hours of lighting in and then realized at the last moment that the camera needed to be 2 inches higher.

If you're that finicky (OCD) then a geared column can save you a whole lot of time versus extending legs, re-leveling the camera and trying to get the lens back in the same general position.

CB

+1 for a center column for the very reasons Chris states.  I'm been using Benro's for a few years now after decades of faithful service from a few well worn Manfrottos'
Craig Lamson Photo

JKevinScott

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 11:48:22 am »

I have used both brands and currently have a Gitzo Series 3 (GT3531) and a RRS TVC-33 both of which get regular use.  Both of these tripods are less than a year old, so hard to say how much abuse they can handle over something that might approximate a reasonable lifetime.  Qualitatively, they both feel solid and tough, and in their first year of life have handled whatever abuse I've been able to throw at them hiking around the craters of dormant volcanoes, subjecting them to salt water surf, etc.  On a personal note, I enjoy dealing with Really Right Stuff.  Their customer service is great.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 09:17:37 pm »

I have a TVC-33 and Gitzo 5 series. My RRS is an early sample, they may have improved later.

I like both and use the RRS more thanks to uts much lighter weight, but have the following issues with the RRS:
- tendency of screws connecting the legs to the base plate to get loose, not a major issue but it forces me to bring a pair of tools along,
- tendency of legs to freeze in position in cold weather, this can be really annoying,
- leg connecting tightening mechanism not as effective.

I have never experienced these issues with my heavier Gitzo 5 series.

Cheers,
Bernard

Lacunapratum

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 12:18:41 am »

I have both and haven't experienced any problems with either of them.  The RRS is truly beautifully made, but I am not sure whether their customer service is friendly.  I have their Versa 34L and an older 5 series Gitzo.  Both have never failed me. 

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 12:53:10 am »

Hi,

I had the same problem on my TVC-33, the bolts should be fixed with Locktite (blue), when they assembled the tripod they put Locktite into the hole but not in the threads. I bought a bottle of Locktite blue and fixed the threads and they work fine now. I thought about mentioning this but I assumed it was a one off issue.

I have used mine TVC-33 down to -18 C (but not very long), it worked fine.

Best regards
Erik

I have a TVC-33 and Gitzo 5 series. My RRS is an early sample, they may have improved later.

I like both and use the RRS more thanks to uts much lighter weight, but have the following issues with the RRS:
- tendency of screws connecting the legs to the base plate to get loose, not a major issue but it forces me to bring a pair of tools along,
- tendency of legs to freeze in position in cold weather, this can be really annoying,
- leg connecting tightening mechanism not as effective.

I have never experienced these issues with my heavier Gitzo 5 series.

Cheers,
Bernard
Erik Kaffehr

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 01:14:41 am »

Hi,

I had the same problem on my TVC-33, the bolts should be fixed with Locktite (blue), when they assembled the tripod they put Locktite into the hole but not in the threads. I bought a bottle of Locktite blue and fixed the threads and they work fine now. I thought about mentioning this but I assumed it was a one off issue.

I have used mine TVC-33 down to -18 C (but not very long), it worked fine.

Thanks Erik,

I'll give that a try.

As far as the lock ip goes, it typically happens when shooting several sessions in a row when some snow melts and refreezes.

Cheers,
Bernard

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 07:44:04 am »

RRS TVC-33 here. No problems. One leg got a bit loose but a quick tighten with the supplied Allen wrench took care of it. What I like most about it is that I'm 6' and with the legs fully extended the camera eyepiece is at the exact correct height for me.

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 10:59:50 am »

I much prefer the RRS product, though I am perhaps biased by the horrific service for Gitzo here in Canada, courtesy of  Vistek.  I simply left a $400 tripod there once when they quoted me close to $300 to replace one leg section.  They made the mistake of asking what, exactly, I thought they should do with my tripod as I was walking away, to which I offered a concise, if medically ill-advised, suggestion.

Joe & Joe at RRS should treat you much better than that, even from afar.  It's the nice thing about dealing with people who actually have to make their living off their own product.

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
RRS Versa 3 series - loose legs info
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 01:18:55 pm »

Hi,

I feel I should share this info (adding Locktite solvec all my problems):
------------------------------------------

Erik,

Loctite is definitely recommended on the leg joint screws. It was installed during assembly here, but as you can see vibration and repeated use can slowly break that free. I’d recommend taking out one screw – whichever comes out easier, the other should stay in place – and applying 1-2 drops of Loctite 242 (blue, medium strength) inside the female threaded barrel.

The Suregrip™ Apex locking screws should not require Loctite, but you could do the same with those if you like. I would keep the application to 1 drop for those, since the threads are finer.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Jim Weise
_________
Really Right Stuff, LLC
1146 Farmhouse Ln.
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401 USA
Toll free from the US and Canada  - 888.777.5557
ReallyRightStuff.com
_________
Subscribe to our E-Newsletter for all the latest info, new product releases, and tips on photography techniques, ideas, and destinations!
http://reallyrightstuff.com/WebsiteInfo.aspx?fc=103
_________

Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 3:49 AM
To: Info
Subject: Problem with Versa Pro 3 series tripod

Hi,

I recently acquired a TVC-33S Versa Series 3 Tripod while on travel to US. I was very satisfied with the tripod, but found two issues.
1) The leg joins loosen after a couple days of use. In one week of shooting I tightened the two screws connecting each leg to the tripod neck. Can I fix this by applyin some locktite on the male thread. Which Locktite to use if that would be OK?
2) According to description the APEX lock screw would be fixed with medium strength Locktite. I changed the top plate to a TA-3-LB and felt no resistance when loosening the APEX screws. I expected some resistance. Is that OK?
Due to circumstance I would not like to send in my tripod for service, but prefer to fix it myself. Can you advise?

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up