Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mystery Morning  (Read 1122 times)

dhancock

Mystery Morning
« on: December 30, 2013, 05:34:27 pm »

When visiting Headwaters Park in Geauga County, I noticed that the water level was exceptionally low by several feet. Many items that normally are covered by water were on dry land, providing some excellent photo opportunities. This is one example of when to break the rule of thirds. While processing this photograph, I played around on HDR Darkroom until I came with a result that was pleasing. The greyscale helps the eyes focus on the interesting shape of the roots, as well as helping to simplify the background. What do you think? Critique and commentary welcome! If you want to expand the photograph, click on it.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Mystery Morning
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 05:46:53 pm »

Nice!

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

dhancock

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 10:22:31 am »

Thanks Erik!

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 04:27:31 pm »

Two critiques and a comment...

I find this photograph intriguing. I like the flow of lines on the far shore and the random shapes produced by the stump and roots and shadows, but I also find the foreground too detailed. I know, that is not something you tend to hear, especially from me as I love detailed foregrounds that draw me into a scene. But in this case, I find the gravelly bits too distinct and, therefore, distracting. There is also a stick coming in from the right that is distracting and should be removed.

Now for the comment - see Push-button Photography
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

dhancock

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 09:48:10 am »

Good idea about the stick! Thanks for your article/commentary.

I suspect Daniel was doing more than simply "playing around" to get some random pleasing result.

Yes. I knew approximately what I wanted, but sometimes you have to work it to get the result. It is like composition. I recommend that people always try various perspectives of a subject when composing a photograph. Some of that is my personal style also. Thanks for giving your thoughts!
Pages: [1]   Go Up