Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for a database to keep track of photos printed/sold  (Read 13585 times)

markdauber

Re: Suggestions for a database to keep track of photos printed/sold
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 08:52:58 am »

You might want to take a look at a system I am experimenting with.  www.artcld.com  So far, I'm encouraged.  They offer a free trial. I'm thinking to use it to help manage my gallery and my work.  Check it out.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 03:24:08 pm »

You might want to take a look at a system I am experimenting with.  www.artcld.com  So far, I'm encouraged.  They offer a free trial. I'm thinking to use it to help manage my gallery and my work.  Check it out.

That's very interesting.  One of the biggest complaints I hear from gallery owners is "computer work" and how surprisingly difficult it is to find employees who are both good salespeople and have the necessary skills to handle databases and spreadsheets and websites.  For those guys, simplification and casting of tasks in familiar terms is good.  I think you will do well.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 04:10:17 pm »

^it does look good but I suspect many will back away at $99 per month even if it includes no cost credit/debt card processing.

David Cordner

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 07:27:13 am »

I have just purchased  Tapforms http://www.tapforms.com Works on Mac, iPad, iPhone and syncs between them. Look a bit like Bento with maybe a few more features. Still early day though.

David

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 10:02:12 am »

This is one of the options I've been considering and would be most interested to hear your views on how well it integrates a client database of names and addresses with a works database of finished prints.
-Terry
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Deardorff

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2014, 10:25:09 am »

A 3x5 or larger card file. A notebook.
Give each print an ID number. (and name if you like)

Write on the card or in the notebook the number of prints made and any sales. Also any exhibits they have been in.

Simple, clean and the system does not crash.

jferrari

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2014, 01:41:03 am »

A 3x5 or larger card file. A notebook.
Give each print an ID number. (and name if you like)

Write on the card or in the notebook the number of prints made and any sales. Also any exhibits they have been in.

Simple, clean and the system does not crash.

Does anyone out there have an efficient electronic system that works on a laptop and iPad? I could keep a binder of pages, but it just seems more efficient to keep it digital using a database app.

Since the OP wanted an electronic system I would assume that he would eventually like to run queries and reports. Tough to do with paper. I'm using MS Access for my application but I have no idea if it would run on an iPad.
Nothing changes until something changes.

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 06:28:48 pm »

I like your in-Lightroom alternative John!  Might give that a try.  I suppose one could stack the Sale images together to keep it neat.

I do this in Aperture.  When an Image is ready for sale, I color-code it blue (these labels show in the Image Browser, and are even retained in the OS file system when a new file is created by exporting from the database) and add a custom metadata field containing 10 lines.  I sell my fine art prints in editions limited to ten, and simply put the buyer's name on the line with the number in the edition of the purchased print.

I put all buyers in my Contacts program (an electronic Rolodex that comes with Apple computers), and flag them to show in my "Buyers" sub-list.

I have a Smart Album in Aperture that shows Images with Blue labels that are not sold-out.  This is my current "For Sale" catalog.

It's not a good system if you are selling a lot of prints, but for me it works well.

When I was painting, I set up an Access database and tracked buyers, sales, costs, and lots more.  It was overkill.

As with any data acquisition tool, the better you define your needs at the outset, the sharper your tool will be, and the easier to use.

I don't use Lightroom, but I imagine it has custom metadata fields.  I have set up Aperture Libraries that allow artists to track what's been printed, where it is stored, when it was sold, for how much, and to whom.  The drawback is that one can't use it for arithmetic.  "Total sales?" — no idea.  "How many unsold prints should be in flat-file drawer #3?" — no problem.

Graham Clark

• grahamclarkphoto.com
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2014, 04:15:26 am »

I am selling more and photographs (fine art prints) and I am hoping those with more experience might be able to recommend a database or other system for keeping track of what's on hand and what's been sold and to whom.

Maybe I'm being too obsessive, but I like to keep track of not just who has purchased my work, but also which edition of each photo(s) they purchased. Does anyone out there have an efficient electronic system that works on a laptop and iPad? I could keep a binder of pages, but it just seems more efficient to keep it digital using a database app.

Your thoughts & experiences?

I create versions in Aperture that are red in color, and they are (by default) stacked under the main image.

Then I create a Smart Album which filters the red images and I can see the sold images. What's nice about Aperture (as opposed to lightroom, I use both), is that by pressing "T" I can see the metadata overlay very easily for the purpose of seeing who it's been sold to, for how much and at what size.
Graham Clark  |  grahamclarkphoto.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up