Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom lens mount M645 to Hasselblad 200: is it possible?  (Read 1385 times)

David R Munson

• David R Munson
Custom lens mount M645 to Hasselblad 200: is it possible?
« on: December 29, 2013, 07:58:53 pm »

I feel like I've read about this being possible, but can't dig up any information on it at the moment. I feel like I read somewhere about someone providing the service of adapting a new lens mount onto Mamiya M645 lenses to fit the Hasselblad 200-series cameras. The custom mount being needed because of the shorter flange distance. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Does anyone actually provide this service or did they ever? Am I just crazy?

I've had the 645 Pro and 80/1.9 for a long, long time and adore the combination. I've mostly transitioned over to Hasselblad, however, and am only holding onto the 645 at this point because of that 80mm. If I could somehow fit that lens into my Hasselblad system, it would make me immensely happy. I mostly shoot it wide open so I wouldn't mind the loss of aperture coupling.

chiek

• chiek imaging
Re: Custom lens mount M645 to Hasselblad 200: is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 02:21:01 am »

Focal flange
M645 : 63.3mm / hasselblad v : 74.9mm

Impossible

Custom made medium format camera blog
http://chiek.co.kr/cam
chiek imaging, in Seoul, SOUTH-KOREA.
Sinar P2, Hasselblad CFv-50c medium format and a7R systems
major job is products shot, especially for electronic products.
but interested in Landscapes and Portraits, Still-life.
my hobby is Designing camera…
www.chiek.co.kr

Chris Livsey

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 11:51:01 am »

To elaborate for those bit familiar with the rules of adapting a lens from one system to another...

You CAN adapt a lens from a system with a shorter flange to a system with a longer flange. But ONLY if:
- you don't are about focusing at infinity or far distances (some combinations could still do a portrait distance, others only macro distances) OR
- it's physically possible to place the lens inside the lens mount (the lens is small bough and you are allowed to shave or remove the mirror)

As you can see from those two options there are very very few applications where this is useful, but I just wanted to clarify that the answer is not "impossible" but more so "only possible in a way that is very unlikely useful to you".

As one (very niche) example of when this can be useful I used Leica pho tar microscope lenses on a Mamiya 645 body. But I only cared about extreme macro distances. That set up could not have focused at, or covered the sensor, at infinity, but that was not important to me.

itsdoable

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 07:00:26 pm »

The OP asked about a "service to adapte the lens". This is possible if the rear lens element will clear the mirror mechanism.

You cannot build an adapter that will allow you to attach a M645 lens to a Hasselblad V due to the longer register distance and be able to focus to infinity. However, if you are talking about modifying the M645 lens to fit the Hasselblad (ie machining a new mount), that depends on the the clearance from the rear lens element. For instance, I have adapter a Cannon 135mm f/2.5 135 lens to a Hasselblad focus helicoil and the lens covers the image circle and focuses to infinity. Just keep in mind that getting this done is rarely worth doing from a $$$ view.
Pages: [1]   Go Up