Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Star and color ratings not working in LR 5.3  (Read 4036 times)

Mary K

Star and color ratings not working in LR 5.3
« on: December 29, 2013, 02:43:50 pm »

I am running Adobe LR 5.3 CC on Windows 7 Professional 64bit on a Dell desktop.  Recently I am unable to rate images with the "star" system via my keyboard, and I cannot rate images with color by any means, either via keyboard strokes, or by left clicking on the color with a thumbnail selected.  Is anyone else having problems with this?

Thanks,
Mary
Mary Konchar

Simon Garrett

Re: Star and color ratings not working in LR 5.3
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 03:05:39 pm »

Not me.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 03:38:09 pm »

You are probably not doing it right.  Works fine here.  What module are you in?  What do you mean by left clicking on the color?  Go to the Grid module, click Photo, Set color and choose one - what happens?  If you are trying in Develop, not that things change.  Only do it from Grid.

Mary K

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 04:20:10 pm »

Okay, apparently I haven't explained the problem correctly.

I've been using LR since LR2, and I've never had this problem before.

When I am in the Library Module, there is a bar across the bottom of the page.  This bar has several features, but the ones I'm having problems with are the "stars" and the "colors" (red, yellow, green, blue, purple).  Formerly, if I selected a thumbnail or a group of thumbnails and moused over the star or color, I could left click on of the star or color to rate the image.  Now, when I click on a color or star, the thumbnail does not show the star rating, or the color.  In addition, if I select a thumbnail or thumbnails, and try to do star or color ratings with the numeric keypad, I have the same problem ... the rating or color does not appear on the thumbnail.  I have always been able to use either method in the past ... this is a recent problem, so I am curious if anyone else has the problem, and whether they have found a solution.

Mary

Mary Konchar

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 04:24:09 pm »

I've not heard of anyone else having that problem.

Are any stars or colours showing on thumbnails in the grid? Could you have hidden them?

What happens when you use the keyboard shortcuts 1-5 and 6-9?

John

Mary K

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 04:37:30 pm »

The stars and colors that were previously selected for images in my catalog still reflect the star rating and color that I had associated with them.  I cannot use the keypad numbers 1-5 for star ratings, or 6-9 for color ... that also does not work.

If I am in the grid view in the Library Module, I can select a star rating, but no color rating.  This doesn't help much, as I cannot evaluate an image at thumbnail size.  If I stay in the Library Module and view the image full size I can select a star rating, but when I go back to thumbnail view the star rating no longer appears.

Mary
Mary Konchar

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 05:13:59 pm »

Everything working well here with 5.3 on W7 64Pro

kaelaria

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 10:27:33 pm »

Don't use keypad numbers the top row is the intended key selection.

kaelaria

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 11:13:17 pm »

That being said my keypad works in Library.  Make sure your numlock is on?

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 06:32:33 am »

Mary,

The process you describe should work OK.

I suggest you try re-installing LR5.3 and try again.

Good Luck.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Mary K

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 09:07:33 am »

Numlock is on.

Looks like I may have to reinstall LR 5.3.  What will happen to my catalog?

Mary Konchar

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 09:31:00 am »

Nothing - it'll still be there. But back it up - if you don't already do so every day.

Personally, I wouldn't have recommended reinstalling. As in an earlier comment, I suspect it's something you're not doing right. What happens when you press G for grid view, and then J a few times which cycles through the different views of the grid?

Mary K

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 12:46:58 pm »

Cycling through the Grid View with the "J" or "L" key works as normal .... everything seems to work as normal except the rating features.

Mary
Mary Konchar

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 01:13:59 pm »

Is there anything about your keyboard that may be unusual? What happens when you type numbers 6 through 9 in Notepad? I'm wondering if some other program has mapped the keyboard or if your computer thinks it has another language's keyboard. We'd rule that out if 6 through 9 typed normally into Notepad.

In grid view, make sure the Extras are showing - that's View > Grid View Style > Show Extras or use J. Can you click the stars to set the star rating?

Still in grid view, when you right click (not left click as said earlier) a grid thumbnail, can you set a colour using the context menu?

When you are using the keyboard to enter numbers for ratings/colours, can you confirm you are not pressing any other key? I ask this because you would do so in Bridge and I hope no bad habits have crept in.

Mary K

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 02:05:39 pm »

The keyboard and keypad work in all other applications, including notepad and PS CC.  I have been using LR since version 2, and this problem only showed up after I had been using LR 5 for some time ... I didn't have the problem at all until a few days ago.  I have about 100,000 images in LR, and use it and PS CC almost daily, and I've never had this problem before. 

I'm not pressing any other keys, and I've not used Bridge for several years. Grid view style has show extras selected.  I cannot set a star or color by clicking on it with my mouse, or by selecting a number from my keypad if I am looking at the expanded view in the Grid mode, but I can mouse click on a star get it to display if in the thumbnail grid view.  This doesn't help, because I cannot evaluate an image for sharpness in the thumbnail view.   A color cannot be selected by either the keyboard or mouse in any view.

Mary
Mary Konchar

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 03:12:54 pm »

Well, I'm running out of ideas. It sounds like you're doing everything I would expect.

I assume you have a good backup of your catalogue. If not, make one. Then try a File > Optimize which performs various cleanup routines.

You might also try creating a small temporary catalogue and seeing if the problem persists there. It would help show if it's a Lightroom problem or specific to your catalogue.

John

Mary K

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 03:38:51 pm »

Thanks to everyone for their efforts ... I'll let you know if I find a resolution.

Mary
Mary Konchar

kaelaria

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 07:49:18 pm »

You haven't changed any of your keyboard settings or remapped for applications have you? http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_keyboard/lightroom-keyboard.htm

kaelaria

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 07:54:52 pm »

It could always just be a corrupted catalog too.  Try making a new catalog, import a photo and see if the stuff works normally.  If so just import you old photos in.

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://bobtowery.typepad.com
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 05:59:52 pm »

Mary:

I can tell you are an experienced user. But since we are all stumped, I thought I'd try suggesting this to you just in case.

See attached. Is it possible you have hidden the color/star controls you are used to, and are accidentally using the filter versions (circled in red)?

Bob.
Bob
 ht
Pages: [1]   Go Up