Poll

Do you save your originals as DNG or RAW?

DNG
- 22 (26.8%)
RAW
- 60 (73.2%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: DNG or RAW  (Read 60754 times)

jrsforums

Re: DNG or RAW
« Reply #140 on: January 03, 2014, 07:57:01 pm »

Yes,

Until the camera is supported by LR.

Best regards
Erik

I cannot say that I would not do the same. :-)
John

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #141 on: January 03, 2014, 11:41:35 pm »

Jeff, did you hear this or read it from authoritative personnel from these camera companies that they just don't want to adopt DNG? Or is this your assumption based on their actions?

Yes, I have heard this from multiple, reliable sources from within the companies involved. And, no, I can not name names–sorry.

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #142 on: January 04, 2014, 12:56:32 am »

A few years ago, I made a suggestion on a forum (can't remember where) that everyone send the software cd that came with their camera back to the manufacturer(to the world headquarters address) with a note stating that the software was not needed because it did not fully support dng. The note should also state the wish for the camera to have the option to save as dng. I know, the software is not the problem here.  But, I think that the mass influx of cds coming in would get someone's attention. Huge numbers of cd's arriving at a single address would get the attention of the postal service and probably the media.

We have to do something to get their attention and to demonstrate the power of the user.  If our demonstration is not powerful, then we have no power.  If we have no power, the dng issue is of no significance to the manufacturers.  Is that where we are at the moment?

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #143 on: January 04, 2014, 02:10:15 am »

We have to do something to get their attention and to demonstrate the power of the user.  If our demonstration is not powerful, then we have no power.  If we have no power, the dng issue is of no significance to the manufacturers.  Is that where we are at the moment?

Yep...that's we're we've been since DNG was released...

But don't get down on the effort. It takes a long time to bring about grassroots changes. I'm in this for the long hall (so are Thomas, Eric and all the Adobe guys). Adobe isn't going to stop supporting undocumented, proprietary raw files any time soon. Each quarter, Thomas and Eric (and a couple of others) gather up the latest crop of cameras and decode the raw files so ACR/LR customers get their new camera support. They also update the free DNG Converter so previous users of older software can get backwards compatibility.

The latest camera, once supported by DNG Converter, can be processed in older versions of Camera Raw all the way back to ACR 2.4 hosted in Photoshop CS (that's the first version of CS mind you). And, they do this for free. That says something about Thomas, Adobe and their commitment to the industry.

Also, I know for a fact that all of the camera makers have dissected DNG and the DNG SDK and have learned a lot about raw file format "best practices".

Remember, neither Nikon nor Canon have any real background, history or tradition in digital imaging...prior to digital cameras, their only responsibility was to provide a light tight environment to expose film in. Yes, they have a long history of developing cameras and lenses...digital imaging apps or file formats? Not so much. Kodak was the company that brought Nikon and Canon into the digital age...the early pro digital cameras were offered by Kodak with their sensors built into either a Nikon or Canon mount. Those were really, expensive cameras that early adopters paid dearly for. ($40K or so in some cases). Nikon was the first to jump the Kodak ship followed a couple of years later by Canon.

In both cases, Nikon and Canon took what they learned from Kodak, redesigned and adopted the tech and made their own cameras. Nikon's first pro digital camera (the D1) was released in 1999. The first Canon digital camera for pro use was the Canon D30 (I had one). So, Nikon and Canon have been directly involved in making digital cameras for 14/13 years respectively. In terms of history and tradition, this is only yesterday. Seriously, Nikon and Canon had no friggin' clue how to do this stuff when they started...it was all jump started by Kodak who ended up screwing the pooch and getting outmaneuvered repeatedly by Japanese companies. Think about it...Kodak had the tech, worked with Nikon and Canon to help them go digital...Nikon and Canon jump ship and leave Kodak eating dust. Make no mistake about it...Nikon and Canon are great at taking existing technology and advancing it–that is a massive Japanese capability. Take what somebody else develops and push it forward...kinda like what they've done with DNG :~)

Sadly, as long as photographers let the camera companies off the hook, change won't happen quickly. Look at the results of the posted poll...29.6% save originals as DNG, 70.4% saves as original raw (I actually fall into the raw camp until I finish raw editing when I do convert to DNG–while also keeping a raw copy).

Look, if you are a photographer I encourage people to educate themselves on the relative upside/downside of using DNG. It's a matter of workflow and how it impacts yours. DNG solves a lot of problems (and creates a few others). If you are a photographer, I encourage you to also have a longer view on what's in the long term best interest of the industry. If you think that Nikon and Canon should alter their behavior, speak out. If you honestly think that the behavior of Nikon and Canon regarding proprietary raw files is good for the industry I suggest you look into the mirror and ask yourself why you are so misinformed. Seriously, unless you under contract to advocate Nikon or Canon software, I simply can't understand how you can possibly think this is ok.

And, for those of you who hate Adobe and want to see them fail, understand that Adobe doesn't expect to benefit by DNG (or some other format) being adopted by the industry in general. DNG isn't something Adobe is trying to use to create vender lock-in. It's free for anybody to use. Software besides ACR/LR can use and benefit from DNG. DNG is a gift by Thomas Knoll to the industry. You wanna look a gift horse in the mouth? Go ahead...horses mouths are very pretty to look at :~)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 02:26:05 am by Schewe »

Ed Blagden

« Reply #144 on: January 04, 2014, 02:50:46 am »

A few years ago, I made a suggestion on a forum (can't remember where) that everyone send the software cd that came with their camera back to the manufacturer(to the world headquarters address) with a note stating that the software was not needed because it did not fully support dng. The note should also state the wish for the camera to have the option to save as dng. I know, the software is not the problem here.  But, I think that the mass influx of cds coming in would get someone's attention. Huge numbers of cd's arriving at a single address would get the attention of the postal service and probably the media.

We have to do something to get their attention and to demonstrate the power of the user.  If our demonstration is not powerful, then we have no power.  If we have no power, the dng issue is of no significance to the manufacturers.  Is that where we are at the moment?

What a good idea.  This might get someone's attention.

An alternative (and cheaper / lower effort) option could be this: each time Canon or Nikon release a new model camera, send them an email congratulating them on their new machine but say that sadly you will postpone buying for a few months until the guys at Adobe / Apple / Capture 1 (insert your RAW editor of choice) get around to updating their software to be compatible with the new machine, which could take several months.  Then say how frustrated you are not to be able to buy their excellent new camera sooner, and finally point out that this inconvenience could be completely avoided if they, the camera maker, would include a DNG option in future models. 

Perhaps we could get a campaign going on Lula: someone could post an alert each time Canon or Nikon bring out a new camera, and I am sure someone like Jeff would know the of the most appropriate people to direct the emails to.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: DNG or RAW (just a reflection)
« Reply #145 on: January 04, 2014, 03:02:19 am »

Hi

Once upon the time I was interested in something called DxO. They supported my camera that time, I had a Konica-Minolta A2, than I upgraded camera firmware, and DxO didn't work with my camera any longer. Goodbuy DxO…

The interesting thing was just a firmware update broke DxO support for my camera.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Damon Lynch

• http://www.damonlynch.net
« Reply #146 on: January 04, 2014, 05:43:05 am »

Bart, unfortunately, it don't think the DNG advocates want just the info in the container....including the proprietary info.

If all they did was put it in the container, Adobe would need to do what they do today and write the "translator" to make use of it....which Adobe would then use with their proprietary code.

They want the info from the camera manufacturers to be translated into the Adobe defined form, with no hidden proprietary info standing in the way, so that Adobe does not have to do it.

At least, that is what I am getting from all their responses.

We need to clarify this or else the discussion is going to keep going around in circles! Is the DNG format designed from the outset by Thomas Knoll to:
  • Ensure that the RAW data from the digital camera sensor of all different manufacturers who use it is written in a uniform manner, regardless of sensor design, analogous to the way the world has settled on Unicode as the standard representation of text? or
  • Ensure that the RAW data is in an industry standard container?

I am putting aside other important considerations like the purpose behind an open standard for metadata, including metadata for transforming the RAW data, because it seems impossible to get everyone on the same page here.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #147 on: January 04, 2014, 07:50:59 am »

Each quarter, Thomas and Eric (and a couple of others) gather up the latest crop of cameras and decode the raw files so ACR/LR customers get their new camera support. They also update the free DNG Converter so previous users of older software can get backwards compatibility.

Hi Jeff,

You make it sound as if they are doing this pro-bono, in their spare time. Fortunately that's not the case, they get paid by Adobe, because it helps the company's bottom line ... (they would not likely get paid to waste company resources). And since Adobe is not in this game for charity, they must believe it will benefit their investors to do the effort.

The latest camera, once supported by DNG Converter, can be processed in older versions of Camera Raw all the way back to ACR 2.4 hosted in Photoshop CS (that's the first version of CS mind you). And, they do this for free. That says something about Thomas, Adobe and their commitment to the industry.

As in they do not charge customers directly for the application, but indirectly. Or are you suggesting the are doing it in their spare time, without getting paid to do it, and without benefit for Adobe?

Also, I know for a fact that all of the camera makers have dissected DNG and the DNG SDK and have learned a lot about raw file format "best practices".

You've got to be kidding, that's reversing history as it evolved. The DNG format was based on the earlier TIFF/EP standards and a number of other open standards which have been around quite a bit longer than DNG. DNG is compatible with TIFF/EP.

Remember, neither Nikon nor Canon have any real background, history or tradition in digital imaging...prior to digital cameras, their only responsibility was to provide a light tight environment to expose film in.

Ludicrous. Canon e.g. has been involved in electronic imaging since the 1960s. And of course, duh, before digital cameras there were no digital cameras. However, they have a long history of involvement in various aspects of imaging, scanning, and electro-photographic imaging with toners in copiers and printers, and the production of equipment for medical applications, and scientific research, and cameras for broadcasting, and photo-lithography, part of which is used to produce wafer steppers for the production of integrated circuits. EDIT Here is some additional info about digital imaging sensor research.

Enough said about your attempt to discredit the real innovators, just have a look at this nice summary of what a company like Canon really knows about imaging, and compare it to the interesting but humble contributions of Adobe.

We need to clarify this or else the discussion is going to keep going around in circles! Is the DNG format designed from the outset by Thomas Knoll to:
  • Ensure that the RAW data from the digital camera sensor of all different manufacturers who use it is written in a uniform manner, regardless of sensor design, analogous to the way the world has settled on Unicode as the standard representation of text? or
  • Ensure that the RAW data is in an industry standard container?

I am putting aside other important considerations like the purpose behind an open standard for metadata, including metadata for transforming the RAW data, because it seems impossible to get everyone on the same page here.

I agree, the DNG fanboy-ism is not helpful. However, the purpose behind an open standard is potentially also partly responsible for the success or failure of such an attempt. It is an important consideration indeed.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 10:08:15 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #148 on: January 04, 2014, 08:10:01 am »

The anti-DNG fanboyism is far less helpful. It even denies the possibility of enlightened self-interest.

John

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #149 on: January 04, 2014, 08:22:28 am »

The anti-DNG fanboyism is far less helpful. It even denies the possibility of enlightened self-interest.

Hi, John,

Then by all means, do share your vision on how DNG is going to (or is designed to) benefit non-Adobe centric digital imaging, or image processing.

Cheers,
Bart

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #150 on: January 04, 2014, 08:26:25 am »

Hi Bart,

I find it boring that there is so much Japan bashing in the world. It is often said that Japanese don't know how to develop software/firmware and so on. I have much respekt for Japanese innovation.

On the other hand Adobe has created much of standard tools in the photographic industry. If we mention TIFF it is a set of formats originating from Aldus/Adobe, so when you refer to TIFF/EP as an open standards predating DNG you also refer to Adobe technology.

Personally, I object to the state of the industry, where not only has each vendor an own format but that format is nut compatible between different products from the same firm. A company like Adobe or Phase One or anyone else needs to support not just CR2 or NEF but different versions of those programs. The differences are trivial.

Another question, if your raw vendor goes out of business, who will keep your raw format alive? Yes, Nikon and Canon may live forever, but there is a lot of speculation that other companies may go belly up.

It is very hard to demonstrate what benefit proprietary formats offer for either vendors or customers. What is raw data really? An array binary data, supposedly representing the sampled sensor signal. A couple of matrices describing the conversion from sensor RGB to CIE XYZ. A few numbers describing white balance. A list of bad pixels. What is secret about it, once Nikon even encrypted WB information.

Who owns my images, I the photographer or my camera vendor?

A standard format, intelligently used, would help us to use any camera data we wish. A program can use well known and well defined tags and ignore vendor specific tags, which are possible in DNG as well in proprietary format.

Best regards
Erik

You've got to be kidding, that's reversing history as it evolved. The DNG format was based on the earlier TIFF/EP standards and a number of other open standards which have been around quite a bit longer than DNG. DNG is compatible with TIFF/EP.

Erik Kaffehr

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #151 on: January 04, 2014, 08:48:39 am »

Yep...that's we're we've been since DNG was released...

But don't get down on the effort. It takes a long time to bring about grassroots changes. I'm in this for the long hall (so are Thomas, Eric and all the Adobe guys). Adobe isn't going to stop supporting undocumented, proprietary raw files any time soon. Each quarter, Thomas and Eric (and a couple of others) gather up the latest crop of cameras and decode the raw files so ACR/LR customers get their new camera support. They also update the free DNG Converter so previous users of older software can get backwards compatibility.

And, for those of you who hate Adobe and want to see them fail, understand that Adobe doesn't expect to benefit by DNG (or some other format) being adopted by the industry in general. DNG isn't something Adobe is trying to use to create vender lock-in. It's free for anybody to use. Software besides ACR/LR can use and benefit from DNG. DNG is a gift by Thomas Knoll to the industry. You wanna look a gift horse in the mouth? Go ahead...horses mouths are very pretty to look at :~)

As always Jeff, I appreciate what you say and the directness with which you say it.  I also had a Canon D30 as my first pro dslr.  My first digital camera was a Kodak dc 120 in 1998.  I remember being amazed at the first image that I looked at on my computer.  It only produced raw files.  I believe it was KDC format, which no longer can be read by any software that I possess.  Not that I want to view any of these extremely noisy low res images! 

But, we have come a long way in digital imaging and I agree that some type of standardization will be key to us progressing forward in an organized way.  I appreciate the voice that you give to reason in the digital photographic world.  Thanks for sharing.  Keep up the good work.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #152 on: January 04, 2014, 08:51:43 am »

Hi, John,

Then by all means, do share your vision on how DNG is going to (or is designed to) benefit non-Adobe centric digital imaging, or image processing.

Cheers,
Bart

Haven't you read the thread? Why don't you share your vision of how it doesn't? Why don't you explain how proprietary raw data achieves that goal?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 09:53:08 am by johnbeardy »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #153 on: January 04, 2014, 10:13:40 am »

Hi,

Lets for instance assume that I want to process a Phase One image in Raw Therapee. Or lets assume that a guy named Anders Torger wants to develop an application to blend HDR images.

Just two examples.

Can you give some example of benefits for any customer of using CR2 over a CR2 encapsulated in DNG?

But, I don't see DNG as a solution to all problems, just as a well defined and well documented container format developed and controlled by the same folks who developed and control TIFF and TIFF/EP. If you don't trust Adobe why would you trust TIFF?

Best regards
Erik

Hi, John,

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 10:27:34 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #154 on: January 04, 2014, 10:48:08 am »

Hi Bart,

I find it boring that there is so much Japan bashing in the world. It is often said that Japanese don't know how to develop software/firmware and so on. I have much respekt for Japanese innovation.

Hi Erik,

I agree, and that's why I occasionally feel the need to also give a voice to the other side of the situation, for a more balanced view of what we're actually dealing with. Neither the anti Japanese companies attitude, nor Adobe idolization will lead to progress.

On the other hand Adobe has created much of standard tools in the photographic industry. If we mention TIFF it is a set of formats originating from Aldus/Adobe, so when you refer to TIFF/EP as an open standards predating DNG you also refer to Adobe technology.

Indeed, Aldus was bought by Adobe, but not much progress has been made since:
Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagged_Image_File_Format
Adobe Systems, which acquired Aldus, now holds the copyright to the TIFF specification. TIFF has not had a major update since 1992, though several Aldus/Adobe technical notes have been published with minor extensions to the format, and several specifications, ...

One could ask oneself, what image quality improvement do we get from converting a Proprietary Raw format to DNG? If one is honest, the answer is none. It is just another container for the same data. It may benefit those who choose to work with Adobe programs in convenience because of some features that were added for that purpose.

Personally, I object to the state of the industry, where not only has each vendor an own format but that format is nut compatible between different products from the same firm. A company like Adobe or Phase One or anyone else needs to support not just CR2 or NEF but different versions of those programs. The differences are trivial.

I understand, but without getting too philosophical, one could also ask what are the benefits of patents or copyrights? There are those who say that patents slow down progress, and there are also those who claim that without patents there would not be enough incentive to do these investments in costly research without such a mechanism to recover the cost. I believe that issues around intellectual property are what is actually holding back the standardization of Raw formats. To be clear, DNG is not a Raw format, it is a container and as such not a solution.

I also agree that the differences between subsequent versions of Raw files from the same company may be small (when observed casually), and the differences between different manufacturers also appear to be not always that huge. However, that also means that there has to be no backwards compatibility to other Raw formats, maybe even technologies once used but by now surpassed by something superior. It allows to drop certain pieces of irrelevant information, and add new (even before they are unlocked by firmware for specific models). Maintaining backwards compatibility is very expensive, and leads to mistakes.

Another question, if your raw vendor goes out of business, who will keep your raw format alive? Yes, Nikon and Canon may live forever, but there is a lot of speculation that other companies may go belly up.

If any vendor goes out of business, and there is enough financial benefit, there will be others to step in. In fact, I think most Raw formats are readable by some converter, even if they may not provide better conversion quality than was available at the time. Sometimes there are even improvements, like for the Photo CD format where some official libraries produced issues that were later (after Kodak stopped supporting the format) solved by enthousiasts.

Let's also be clear that DNG does not solve this, because it is just a container. It does not provide decoding, it is the application that uses the container that adds that functionality.

It is very hard to demonstrate what benefit proprietary formats offer for either vendors or customers. What is raw data really? An array binary data, supposedly representing the sampled sensor signal. A couple of matrices describing the conversion from sensor RGB to CIE XYZ. A few numbers describing white balance. A list of bad pixels. What is secret about it, once Nikon even encrypted WB information.

Indeed, but as I've said earlier, it almost certainly has to do with Intellectual Property and Patents. Nikon probably thought that they could make/recuperate more money by selling royalties, and leave their competition guessing a bit longer about their secret developments and plans for future innovations.

Who owns my images, I the photographer or my camera vendor?

The photographer owns his images, but nobody is locked out because a converter will be supplied with the camera (and a little while later a reasonable alternative will be available for those who prefer to use other software).

A standard format, intelligently used, would help us to use any camera data we wish. A program can use well known and well defined tags and ignore vendor specific tags, which are possible in DNG as well in proprietary format.

Again, and Damon Lynch asked the right question, what is it that the DNG format intends to do or offer? Clearly converting from one format to another will not improve the quality, and there is a 'free' converter available for those who prefer DNGs for smoother interaction with/between Adobe applications.

DNG currently is nothing else than a container that mostly offers users of Adobe software some benefits. It does not decode anything, because that is the task of the image processing done by the software. I also know that e.g. Capture One V7 is able to extract higher quality conversions out of my legacy Raw files than it could before, so I'm glad that nothing was pre-cooked yet, and the original data was available. Converting my Canon Raws to DNG would not have made any difference, it might have even made it more risky had I done that with one of the earlier DNG versions.

The future proofing argument so far is pretty theoretical. New technologies will continue to replace old technologies, but we can usually convert from one to the next before that window of opportunity passes (think video to DVD, or grammophone record to one of the many alternative digital versions, or film images to scanned versions).

So the question remains, since we do not gain image quality gain by converting, or what else would be a general benefit (also for the Camera makers) from such an activity.

Cheers,
Bart

jrsforums

« Reply #155 on: January 04, 2014, 11:10:18 am »

John

John...

Not supporting DNG is not being an anti-DNG fanboy.....even if the self appointed industry gurus viciously attack any other views and accuse those who don't support DNG as part of the problem.

They throw out anti-Japanese, totally biased statements demeaning how Canon and Nikon became successful.

Thet relate purported conversations with Canon and/or Nikon where the camera manufacturers reps (high level executives or engineering wonks???) stated they did not want to do DNG....trying to insinuate that this is based on anti industry or anti Adobe reasons.  

They allow no credence to the economic and DE advantage the Adobe would gain with a DNG standard, nor the costs and other factors that would burden the camera manufacturers.

From a user standpoint, I, personally, do not see any difference in the world with or without DNG as a standard.  I have little fear that CR2 will have support...someplace...during my lifetime and probably far beyond it.  DNG, by itself, today, does not buy me any advantage...and no one has shown a future advantage over the CR2 file.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 11:18:42 am by jrsforums »
John

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #156 on: January 04, 2014, 11:18:22 am »

So the question remains, since we do not gain image quality gain by converting, or what else would be a general benefit (also for the Camera makers) from such an activity.
Here you go again. Apart from storing image data in a publicly-documented format, apart from day 1 support for shiny new cameras, apart from storing adjustment and descriptive metadata within the file, apart from adjusted previews readable in other apps, apart from validation hash, apart from.... what have the Romans ever done for us?

jrsforums

« Reply #157 on: January 04, 2014, 11:21:43 am »

Here you go again. Apart from storing image data in a publicly-documented format, apart from day 1 support for shiny new cameras, apart from storing adjustment and descriptive metadata within the file, apart from adjusted previews readable in other apps, apart from validation hash, apart from.... what have the Romans ever done for us?

I thought Bart covered all of these....at least the ones which are important.  He even covered the delay of support for a given converter.
John

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #158 on: January 04, 2014, 11:46:49 am »

Hi,

Lets for instance assume that I want to process a Phase One image in Raw Therapee. Or lets assume that a guy named Anders Torger wants to develop an application to blend HDR images.

Just two examples.

Hi Erik,

The Phase One file example is a particularly interesting one. Phase One does a lot of behind the scenes processing on its files, both in camera and when one uses Capture One. There is lots of calibration taking place to make sure that the stitched sensor array data doesn't show the seams, and intermediate frames may be stored to improve noise performance. After the fact LCCs can be used to reduce color cast issues and or improve the light fall-off characteristics, and lens data to correct for distortions and sharpness fall-off. Lots of proprietary data is involved, and that's how they can make a difference in image quality.

Without that benefit of distinction between them and their competitors, they would probably be in a much poorer situation than they are now (although there are also other factors that play a role).

As for HDR blending, I've been using/defending/promoting tonemapping of 16-bit and HDR data for quite a while (at least more than a decade). I remember discussing the need for Adobe to step up their effort in the field of 16-bit and 32-bit processing with one of their programmers on Usenet. It was not seen by Chris to be in enough demand by their users at the time. Which demonstrates that companies do not move until there is a perceived benefit. The efforts to promote DNG must be seen in that light as well.

Can you give some example of benefits for any customer of using CR2 over a CR2 encapsulated in DNG?

Well there is not much technical difference (same data(?) in another container), other than that I can convert my CR2s in pretty much any raw converter, including DPP from Canon (with very decent color quality). DNG containers are generally supported by Adobe applications and a few others, but I get better results with Capture One with CR2s in most cases and the Prime noise reduction in DxO is said to be very good, but currently that software only supports original CR2s not DNG encapsulated versions.

But, I don't see DNG as a solution to all problems, just as a well defined and well documented container format developed and controlled by the same folks who developed and control TIFF and TIFF/EP. If you don't trust Adobe why would you trust TIFF?

True, but Raws are not that poorly documented either, they conform to lots of standards, but not all Makernote parameters are disclosed. It seems that Adobe proponents would like that changed, which seems to be not in the interest of the camera makers, as discussed before.

The TIFF libraries are mostly maintained, including the Big-TIFF version, by independent parties (maybe Adobe sponsors them but their involvement seems pretty slim).

Cheers,
Bart

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #159 on: January 04, 2014, 11:56:26 am »

...and no one has shown a future advantage over the CR2 file.
See previous comments about the Romans.

People were making the same comments as you back then I first started using DNGs around the time of CS3 (it may have been CS2 but it's before parametric editors like LR and Aperture). Some of the potential advantages of DNG were already apparent back then, and over that period I have been able to cash in some "future advantages" that I wouldn't have gained from CR2 or NEF files.

For instance, the embedded previews and thumbnails meant I could see images' adjusted appearance in Extensis Portfolio which I used to manage pictures. I could also output the adjusted images to web / email etc at high speed and without needing to reconvert the files. Only for NEFs, and only if I had used Capture NX, would I have cashed in on that future advantage without DNG.

Similarly consider how DNG has helped me migrate IPTC metadata through various apps over the years. I moved on to iView and PhotoMechanic, and DNG's embedded metadata meant all my previous metadata entry effort wasn't wasted - or I didn't have to figure out ways to exchange data where one or more apps couldn't understand xmp files. I recall using other best-of-breed apps such as Houdeh Geo to add GPS data (remember we're still before LR and Aperture) directly into the DNG file. The data was read by other apps such as my asset manager or Bridge, but I wouldn't have reaped that future advantage if I'd used raw files - instead I would have been trying to figure out whether the metadata-creating app would write directly to the raw file (eek), or battling conflicts between metadata embedded in the file and metadata in xmp sidecars. Ever had to figure out such things? What fun! So again, embedded metadata is a "future advantage" that I have banked.

So over the 8-9 years that I've used DNGs I feel I have crystallised "future advantages" which you would  claim didn't exist. I'll cash in on the same advantages again in the future, in the same and in different ways, and I'll benefit from others too. I'll buy / borrow / steal the hottest new Leica and I'll be able to convert its DNGs on day 1. OK, that last future advantage is a bit less probable!

And yes, I do think that not supporting DNG is being anti-DNG (it wasn't me who introduced the f word). You're either on its side or you're in the FUD Front, the Front for DFU, the UFD Organisation....

John

Edited for clarity
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 01:39:41 pm by johnbeardy »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15   Go Up