Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why we need old computers too.  (Read 1727 times)

Rob C

Why we need old computers too.
« on: December 29, 2013, 03:59:12 am »

Thought this might bring a smile so close to the bright New Year! Clearly, irony remains an unknown quantity.

"Dear Robert Campbell:

Thank you for contacting Canon product support regarding Windows 8 drivers for your CanoScan FS4000US.

Windows 8 drivers are not available for your FS4000US.  I am sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your CanoScan FS4000US. Thank you for choosing Canon."

(I had similar problems trying to get the HP B9180 connected; initial bad news about compatibility meant no dice, but I eventually discovered a source from whence drivers can be downloaded. At least, the thing is registered in the hard drive - but as I need a new ink, can't test it yet. Perhaps I might have luck with the scanner at some time...)

Rob C

« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 04:48:30 am by Rob C »

davidedric

Re: Why we need old computers too.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 07:40:06 am »

:) I had a similar problem with my Nikon Coolscan.    However,  Vuescan does support it on 64 bit systems,  and I see the fs4000 is also listed.   Dave

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 07:51:40 am »

Vuescan has saved my butt with a number of elderly scanners. I still use my Epson 3200 whenever I need a scan of medium or large format film, and Vuescan does a fine job.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

afx

• AFXImages
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 08:13:06 am »

The FS4000 software was always a PITA compared to VueScan. And as others already mentioned, VueScan still supports this scanner on newer OS.
My biggest problem is getting SCSI support on newer motherboards without paying through the nose.

cheers
afx

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 09:43:21 am »

:) I had a similar problem with my Nikon Coolscan.    However,  Vuescan does support it on 64 bit systems,  and I see the fs4000 is also listed.   Dave

Thanks, Dave - I'll look it up and see what happens.

But I do still have my old computer which does work with the CanoScan, and though a little bit - well, quite a big bit, in fact -
temperamental, it does work in on and offish mode. Worse, I've pretty much exhausted all the trannies I wanted to revisit. But one still likes to have all the things working where possible!

Rob C
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 11:33:50 am by Rob C »
Pages: [1]   Go Up