Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Cloud Backup  (Read 5847 times)

Persio

Cloud Backup
« on: December 28, 2013, 06:14:26 pm »

Gentlemen,

I am considering the implementation of a cloud-based backup solution for my digital image (video and photos) assets.
I am aware of the uploading issue but once the initial uploading is done I believe the periodic additions are quite manageable.
I am curious as to the selection of service providers, storage capacity, costs and specially the content being backed-up (RAW files, LR Catalog, JPG files, etc.)

I would appreciate reading from photographers who have implemented such backup solution.
Thank you and have a wonderful 2014.
Persio.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
Re: Cloud Backup
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 07:49:54 pm »

Hi,

I use Crashplan and I am satisfied with it. You can backup any type of file and have backups in the cloud an also in other computers. Price depends on plan, but they are flat fee (unlimited capacity). I have had to restore files due to a damaged disk and it worked very well.

Regards

hokuahi

• Artist, Photographer
    • Exhibition
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 11:50:32 am »

I'm also using CrashPlan Pro, on both my laptop and desktop. I have approximately 2T of images (Raw, TIFF, jpg, etc) on two separate external drives connected to my desktop. The initial cloud backup took approximately three weeks (my upload speed under optimal conditions is 5Mbs) with the computer running constantly. After that, incremental backups occur without problem, even with the computer's automatic sleep mode after three hours.

I signed up for one of their specials and have since changed to their two year plan for which I pay $114/computer and plan to upgrade to a four year plan when this one expires. Their website is clean and easy to navigate and support is friendly and prompt. I consider CrashPlan as essential.

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 12:31:30 pm »

While I like the concept, I have never found any cloud-based back-up system that I felt I could even remotely trust.

Just imagine paying good money for a subscription, spending 3 weeks (as in Hokuaki's case) shooting your files up into the cloud, and then the company going tits-up a few weeks or months later.

No. It seems that using any third-party as the basis of a back-up system is several shades of "act of faith" too far. I doubt that it is a total mug's game and I'd hate to be one of the mugs.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

JeanMichel

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 01:52:38 pm »

For once techno-language "cloud" is correct. It means that the "cloud" will evaporate at some point, perhaps suddenly and violently.By all means use the cloud services but also backup locally, and if an image is at all important, PRINT it.
Jean-Michel

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 07:41:39 pm »

While I like the concept, I have never found any cloud-based back-up system that I felt I could even remotely trust.

Just imagine paying good money for a subscription, spending 3 weeks (as in Hokuaki's case) shooting your files up into the cloud, and then the company going tits-up a few weeks or months later.

This is a real concern.  But I think Amazon, Google and Microsoft are in it for the long haul, and all three appear to have sufficient resources and infrastructure to guarantee the security of your files.*  I've been using Google, myself, since at the time I began backing up to an Internet service provider Amazon didn't offer a product priced for the consumer market.  If I were to start over today, I'd probably go with Amazon, which seems to have a stronger commitment to standards-based filing protocols.

———
*But not necessarily their uninterrupted availability.  Occasional short interruptions of service certainly are possible with any provider, even these three.

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 10:22:21 pm »

Sure you can use cloud storage as one of your backups, but never as the only one. Let´s not forget the derailment of the "Digital Railroad" http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10078042-2.html

Best regards.

Persio

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 06:48:30 am »

Thanks for your comments thus far, keep them coming.

I totally agree with the concept that cloud-based backup should be one of the backup paths.
As a matter of fact, good backup policies determine that one should have at least three generations of local backup and external backup housed in a safe location.
The external backup should be updated and tested regularly in case a major disaster occurred in the local structure.
What I am considering is cloud-based backup as my external backup in addition to my local three generations of backup.

I am also concerned about longevity of these services, but I believe Microsoft, Google and Amazon will live longer than myself.
I am testing Microsoft SkyDrive and DropBox but I would like it for someone to point me to services provided by Amazon and Google. I did some research but did not find the specific consumer oriented apps.

Thanks once again,
Persio.

jferrari

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 10:04:44 am »

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly and easily many photographers hand off storage responsibilities to some unknown third-party for "safe" keeping. Your hard-earned, un-encrypted image files just sitting somewhere waiting for some under payed employee or hacker to sell them to someone in a foreign country. Can't happen you say? Even with all the "security" measures in place look what just happened to all of the credit card and pin numbers at Target. So, if you want it done right, DO IT YOURSELF! A couple of extra hard drives and an inexpensive firesafe (less than thirty bucks on eBay) and you're over half way there. Maybe something offsite and a set of high res prints in case everything electronic craps the bed and you're done. Ok, this solution may not be ideal for everyone but at least I got you thinking...
Nothing changes until something changes.

phcorrigan

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 07:38:28 pm »

...I think Amazon, Google and Microsoft are in it for the long haul, and all three appear to have sufficient resources and infrastructure to guarantee the security of your files.

Read the terms of service and/or service level agreements. In nearly all cases the provider takes absolutely no responsibility for your data. Also, Amazon and Microsoft have both lost users' cloud data. Google had one Gmail incident, but they were able to restore the data from tape backup.
Patrick Corrigan
Author, Data Protection for Photographers, now available (http://rockynook.com/book/0/259/data-protection-for-photographers.html)
Website/blog: http://dpworkflow.com

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 08:09:41 pm »

I use Crashplan and I am satisfied with it.

Me too. I have over 500 gigs up there. Never a problem.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 08:34:15 pm »

Backblaze for me

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://bobtowery.typepad.com
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 05:16:25 pm »

Backblaze for me as well. I tried a few others (like Mozy) and it wasn't reliable. No issues with Backblaze as of yet. I have tried some partial restores just for the fun of it.

Having a cloud backup is a good idea, but as others have said, it is just one solution and you must have multiple. I used to think my data at home with a backup, and a monthly copy at the office, was sufficient. Then hurricane Katrina hit and I realized your home and business could be too easily "blown away" (ahem!).

I have a total of five backup solutions going.

BTW doing backups to the cloud while on the road isn't very practical unless a) you are in a site with incredible bandwidth, b) don't shoot that many frames. I would never even attempt a backup of a day's shoot over a hotel wi-fi. YMMV.
Bob
 ht

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 09:08:04 am »

BTW doing backups to the cloud while on the road isn't very practical unless a) you are in a site with incredible bandwidth, b) don't shoot that many frames. I would never even attempt a backup of a day's shoot over a hotel wi-fi. YMMV.

I'm using also backblaze, quite happy with them, but as it was commented here, my upload speed is far from great, took several months for me to finish my initial backup... a problem for any cloud storage solution. Anyway, I considered worth doing it... now I'm sure even if Barcelona is destroyed, I will have a copy of my photos somewhere, maybe not all of them, but more than a 95% of them.

Regards,

David

Ligament

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 04:37:02 pm »

If you guys are worried about encryption and employee or hacker access to your cloud storage, you could use spideroak, which is a zero visibility platform. Encrypted to spideroak itself; they have NO WAY of decrypting your data. Its a great service.

Egnyte can access your data, but they will sign an business associate agreement with you which may make you happier.

I also endorse crashplan, but it is not encrypted on the crashplan side.

I have accounts with all three for photos and for my other business.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 05:44:48 pm »

I use backblaze.com and have 2TB backed up. I also backup locally with several HD's. When on travel I always have a complete backup at home while travelling. Never put all eggs in one basket :)
The initial backup with a cloud service can take a long time. I could upload about 40GB per day, so it about 2 months to complete but when it is done new uploads runs fast. If I come back from a shoot wiht e.g. 100GB then in a few days all is uploaded. I used Mozy before and they had a flat rate which they terminated and their client didn't run well. The backblaze client runs quiet in the background and never disturbs. Backblaze has offered a flat rate since they started.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 06:02:39 pm »

A question for you guys who use cloud backup. Are you only doing this as backup, or is it that you want images available when you're travelling or away from the office?

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 07:00:54 pm »

Hi, I use cloud backup (crashplan) as a last resort backup, after making a local backup. If I need images / files available when travelling or away I just use a service like dropbox or skydrive.

Regards,

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 07:36:17 pm »

I agree, my cloud backup is a disaster backup and not a "normal" backup. In other words, I hope I will never need it. When traveling I have a portable 2TB drive that contain the pictures that does not fit on my laptop (MBP).

cybis

• http://www.lucbusquin.com
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 12:36:01 am »

I use Amazon Glacier with Fast Glacier at $0.01 per GB
Isn't Crashplan about 30 time more expensive at $0.30 per GB?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up