Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Scan Software  (Read 19025 times)

artobest

Re: Epson Scan Software
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2014, 08:11:06 am »

Artobest,
It doesn't matter. It is assumed that the benefits of wet-mounting will apply whatever the scanner used.

I thinks the benefits would be far greater with the 8000 ED, which has a very collimated light source, producing grainy images that can only be improved by fluid mounting. The Epson, on the other hand, has a rather more diffuse and forgiving light. Here, I'm not so sure about the benefits.

In any case, good luck with your DSLR 'scanning', even though I'm unconvinced that it's the holy grail of film reproduction that some people believe.

AFairley

Re: Epson Scan Software
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2014, 06:24:36 pm »

Alan,
You've got me a bit of confused here.  :)

Ray, the instruction sheet you have for the ES-1 is using the older 60mm D, not the latest G version.

But I may have been mistaken about the need for front extension.  I had thought that at 1:1 the slide might need to be further from the front of the 60mm G than the ES-1 could provide (it was designed before the 60mm G was released), so you might need a way to extend the ES-1 a little farther from the front of the lens, i.e., by stacking empty filters or something.  No additional extension between the lens and camera is needed since the lens natively focuses to 1:1. 

However, a little digging on the web reveals that the ES-1 extends from the front of the lens between 45 and 68mm and one source puts the distance from the front of the 60mm G to the subject at 1:1 as 48mm, so it should be OK on its own.  However, you will need a 62mm to 52mm step down ring since the thread on the ES-1 is 52mm and the filter thread on the 60mm G is 62mm.

The above only applies to using the combo on a FX camera.

Sorry for the confusion.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up