Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zeiss Distagon 40mm CFE FLE and labs in Singapore/Hong Kong  (Read 5136 times)

ThisIsGregers

• Official website
Zeiss Distagon 40mm CFE FLE and labs in Singapore/Hong Kong
« on: December 26, 2013, 04:13:56 pm »

Hi There,

Merry (belated) Christmas. Hope this message finds everyone out there well.

I'm going to do a photo project in Asia which commences in Hong Kong and ends in Singapore. I will be shooting digital and film, both 35mm and 120mm. Since I'm based in the States, I thought it might be better to pick up the film in Hong Kong as to avoid as many x-rays as I can... Would also make sense to have the film developed before going back to the US. Therefore, does anyone have experience with trustworthy camera stores and labs in Hong Kong and Singapore?

Also, I would love to find a Zeiss Distagon 40mm CF FLE while being out there. Same question goes for that: Any trustworthy places I could contact for availability in advance?

Thanks very much in advance.

Gregers

synn

• My fine art portfolio
Re: Zeiss Distagon 40mm CFE FLE and labs in Singapore/Hong Kong
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 04:48:20 pm »

What film are you shooting? Only boutique labs do slide film in Singapore now. If you're working with negatives, go to fotohub in commonwealth in Singapore (easily found on google).

As for the lenses, look around in peninsula shopping mall. There are a few used camera shops there with a decent amount of Hasselblad equipment.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

ThisIsGregers

• Official website
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 10:45:32 am »

Synn,

Thanks so much for your advice, I very much appreciate it. Will totally check out those places.

I don't know what film I will be shooting yet, I'm doing some tests now. I'm aware, I will get great resolution (scanned) from slide films, such as the Velvia 50/100, but am also thinking Portra and FujiPro for the color films. Maybe Ektar but am not crazy about its "tint". Happy to hear peoples' opinions, especially about films suited for low-light, ie. skylines, sunsets across the ocean. Some grain is fine, that's obviously one of the reasons I want to shoot film ;-) I'm going to be on a big ship so will be able to shoot a lot from tri-pod.

Thanks again - and happy New Year!

Gregers

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 08:12:10 pm »

Hi Gregers,

I was mostly into Velvia 100 , but as I said, it's pretty hard to get it processed here in Singapore now, unless you're into cross processing (Which I think you aren't). Simple rule of thumb is, Portra for people and Ektar for places if you don't mind using print film. If you're thinking low light handheld, Portra 800 is decent (As decent as ISO 800 can get). If you're thinking tripod based long exposures, Ektar handles it well and is way less prone to reciprocity failure than say, Velvia 50. Depending on where and how you shoot people, Portra 160 might be a bit too slow. Portra 400 would be a better bet.

I would recommend that you carry two backs for your Hasselblad, one loaded with Ektar and one with Portra and switch as you need.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 11:27:14 am »

Hi,

If you consider negative film you also need to consider scanning. Neither Velvia 50 nor Ektar 100 are easy to scan. I have not tried Portra, yet.

The issue with both Velvia and Ektar 100 is DMAX.

On the Ektar RGB sensivities are quite different, so blue channel can be clipped early. Anyway, I had some odd issues with Ektar. I would suggest that you try out and learn the film you intend to use before travel.

If you send the films for drum scanning the DMAX issue is less problematic.

Best regards
Erik

Synn,

Thanks so much for your advice, I very much appreciate it. Will totally check out those places.

I don't know what film I will be shooting yet, I'm doing some tests now. I'm aware, I will get great resolution (scanned) from slide films, such as the Velvia 50/100, but am also thinking Portra and FujiPro for the color films. Maybe Ektar but am not crazy about its "tint". Happy to hear peoples' opinions, especially about films suited for low-light, ie. skylines, sunsets across the ocean. Some grain is fine, that's obviously one of the reasons I want to shoot film ;-) I'm going to be on a big ship so will be able to shoot a lot from tri-pod.

Thanks again - and happy New Year!

Gregers
Erik Kaffehr

ThisIsGregers

• Official website
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 12:12:20 pm »

Thanks again Synn. All taken into consideration. And congrats with your new gear, hope you're enjoying it. G

ThisIsGregers

• Official website
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 12:22:49 pm »

Hi Erik,

Thanks for notifying me of a potential scanning issue with those films. Certainly something to be aware of, since I'm scanning a lot of my pictures myself using a Minolta Dimage Multi Pro with Vuescan. If something is really worth it, like intended for a large print reproduction, I will obviously send it out for drum scanning. As Synn indicates, there's a people part (doing portraits of the crew onboard where I will use Portra) and an environment part (ship, ocean, cities) to the project.   Do you have recommendations for any other films than those mentioned that scan well? For instance, what about Fuji Pro? I know it's a matter of taste, but if we look solely at the scanning process of the film? I would also like to bring some black and white film.

Thanks again,

Gregers

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 12:32:25 pm »

Hi,

I have a Minolta Dimage Scan Multi Pro, too. I scanned Velvia mostly, I did try Provia 100, but I felt sharpness/grain was better on the Velvia. I have quite a few decent Velvia scans. These are mostly Velvia: http://echophoto.smugmug.com/Travel/Sextener-Dolomiten/

Tim Parkin has a great article on MFD vs. film and he prefers Provia 160, I think. I bought a Hasselblad recently, with a P45+, so I am considering to buy a film back and shoot some film, just to try.

Best regards
Erik

Hi Erik,

Thanks for notifying me of a potential scanning issue with those films. Certainly something to be aware of, since I'm scanning a lot of my pictures myself using a Minolta Dimage Multi Pro with Vuescan. If something is really worth it, like intended for a large print reproduction, I will obviously send it out for drum scanning. As Synn indicates, there's a people part (doing portraits of the crew onboard where I will use Portra) and an environment part (ship, ocean, cities) to the project.   Do you have recommendations for any other films than those mentioned that scan well? For instance, what about Fuji Pro? I know it's a matter of taste, but if we look solely at the scanning process of the film? I would also like to bring some black and white film.

Thanks again,

Gregers
Erik Kaffehr

ThisIsGregers

• Official website
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 01:11:30 pm »

Hi Erik,

See that we're almost fellow country-men! I'm from Copenhagen, but live in Los Angeles. Hope things are good in the Nordics. Your pics are very beautiful, looks like a magical journey. I don't, however, think the Velvia is right for this project, since I'm looking for something with a slightly more "modern" feel to it. The Provia looks great, thanks for bringing that and the article to my attention. Guess for the non-people part, I'm narrowing it down to either Provia or Reala.

Thanks again,

Gregers

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 06:17:13 pm »

Hi Gregers,

Things are OK here in the North. I am living in Nyköping 100 km south Stockholm and we have no snow.

Just wanted to mention that Tim Parkin has a comparison of fils here:
http://www.onlandscape.co.uk/2011/06/colour-film-comparison-pt-3/

It's a subscription site, unfortunately.

Best regards
Erik

Hi Erik,

See that we're almost fellow country-men! I'm from Copenhagen, but live in Los Angeles. Hope things are good in the Nordics. Your pics are very beautiful, looks like a magical journey. I don't, however, think the Velvia is right for this project, since I'm looking for something with a slightly more "modern" feel to it. The Provia looks great, thanks for bringing that and the article to my attention. Guess for the non-people part, I'm narrowing it down to either Provia or Reala.

Thanks again,

Gregers
Erik Kaffehr

ThisIsGregers

• Official website
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 08:43:58 pm »

Thanks for sharing. Very useful.

Best,

Gregers

Telecaster

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 09:38:23 pm »

For scanning I like the whole Portra lineup: 160, 400, 800. For transparencies I've had better results with Provia than Velvia...like Erik says, Velvia holds detail (spatial and tonal) in shadow areas that can be hard to extract with a desktop scanner.

I second Sandeep's recommendation of Penninsula Shopping Mall. I've never bought any photo gear there but I did unexpectedly pick up a Rickenbacker 4001 bass in 1997.    :D  White (faded to a lovely cream) with black trim, plays lovely, hellaciously good sound. The mall is worth a visit for the variety of shops alone.

-Dave-

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 09:49:37 pm »

For scanning I like the whole Portra lineup: 160, 400, 800. For transparencies I've had better results with Provia than Velvia...like Erik says, Velvia holds detail (spatial and tonal) in shadow areas that can be hard to extract with a desktop scanner.

I second Sandeep's recommendation of Penninsula Shopping Mall. I've never bought any photo gear there but I did unexpectedly pick up a Rickenbacker 4001 bass in 1997.    :D  White (faded to a lovely cream) with black trim, plays lovely, hellaciously good sound. The mall is worth a visit for the variety of shops alone.

-Dave-

Oh yeah Dave, the camera gear there is rivaled by an equally comprehensive lineup of music gear.
Bought my Les(ser) Paul there a while ago. lovely tone. :)

Regarding camera gear, there's a good collection of Hassy, Mamiya and Rollei gear in the mall. There are a couple of shops across the road in Adelphi mall, basement too.

Make sure to bargain hard as the prices may not be as competitive as they are in say, the USA (Smaller market and all that). But they do bend if you bargain. ;D

Telecaster

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 10:56:36 pm »

Oh yeah Dave, the camera gear there is rivaled by an equally comprehensive lineup of music gear.
Bought my Les(ser) Paul there a while ago. lovely tone. :)

Do you know if Burny Les Pauls are still available in Singapore? (Made by Fernandes, currently in Taiwan, I think.) I saw some for sale, probably at Penninsula & maybe elsewhere too, in the late 1990s and have been kicking myself ever since for not getting one. I know more than a few players here in the US who feel they're better guitars than the current Gibsons. (Note: I'm asking just out of curiosity, currently maxed out guitar-wise, though I may pay a visit to the city-state sometime next year...   ;)  )

-Dave-

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 08:57:51 pm »

Do you know if Burny Les Pauls are still available in Singapore? (Made by Fernandes, currently in Taiwan, I think.) I saw some for sale, probably at Penninsula & maybe elsewhere too, in the late 1990s and have been kicking myself ever since for not getting one. I know more than a few players here in the US who feel they're better guitars than the current Gibsons. (Note: I'm asking just out of curiosity, currently maxed out guitar-wise, though I may pay a visit to the city-state sometime next year...   ;)  )

-Dave-

Can't say that I have seen that brand, but Davis Guitar might have it.
In recent years, quite a few Indonesian and Korean manufacturers have been making quite decent Lesser Pauls at very decent prices. Rally and Uno are two names that come to my mind.

If you ever come down to visit, do take a look at those!

Telecaster

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 09:30:10 pm »

Can't say that I have seen that brand, but Davis Guitar might have it.
In recent years, quite a few Indonesian and Korean manufacturers have been making quite decent Lesser Pauls at very decent prices. Rally and Uno are two names that come to my mind.

If you ever come down to visit, do take a look at those!

Thanks!

I found four 120 rolls of c. 2002 Portra 800 in my fridge earlier this eve. They were in a Fuji Neopan box. Time to fire up my Rolleiflex and brave the cold weather. (Not tonight (New Year's Eve), though...it's currently -8° C here in Michigan.)

-Dave-

MrSmith

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 05:47:40 am »

I have a mint 40mm FLE with lens hood and a 93mm haze filer (possibly a yellow/green for B&W) that I no longer require but I'm in U.K not in Singapore. ???

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 01:53:21 am »

Be careful of the camera stores on the Kowloon side of Hong Kong (mainland). I got ripped off there many years ago when living there and had to go to court to get my money back. Yes, I won. I ended up buying my gear from a camera store in Admiralty or Central district, I doubt it still exists.
Regarding film scanning, I found Portra scanned great if you exposed it well (give it a bit exposure more than it recommends), I suggest sticking to Portra 400 and do a few tests before leaving. I used to scan on a rented Imacon 848 (Hasselblad X1) at Calumet or Rayko (San Francisco). LA must have some around. Drum scan your chromes. Any B&W film will scan very well on the imacon, again, just give it a bit more exposure when shooting and make sure you do not select the film's border / frame when scanning as it will throw off the scanner's black point / exposure.

I think the best place to buy a CS 40mm CFE is right here in the USA. I too have one for my 500CM.

Pages: [1]   Go Up