Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building a Better Profile  (Read 7797 times)

Manoli

Re: Building a Better Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2013, 01:18:33 pm »

I would contribute, ... and articles such as this one help my understanding of the art or craft....

So, perhaps you could enlighten us as to how exactly this article has advanced your understanding of the craft ..

As far as Lula "dumbing down"..........that is simply your own arrogant opinion

I'd suggest you be slightly careful there, ever hear of the saying 'fools rush in where angels fear to tread'

Richowens

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 01:45:03 pm »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 02:10:30 pm »

Maybe my one mistake was listing it as a tutorial and not an article.

Kevin Raber
Yes!!!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2013, 03:57:37 pm »

Methinks that everyone is protesting way too much.  This topic was covered quite a while ago in one of Mark Dubovy's articles where he commented on the problems with the "ink recipe" aka the normal Epson print driver.  Others on the Internet have touched on this as well including Scott Martin who has some pretty good advice on how to choose which setting to use for third party papers and has a good test image for figuring this out.  I don't mind that the author is affiliated with a company seeking to sell something; this is clearly disclosed and readers can choose how much weight to put into what he says.  There is also the wonderful ArgyllCMS software out there which is 100% free and allows one to do a lot of customization in printing.

Personally, I found the article interesting and mildly informative but then I'm still running Windows 7 (because it just works).

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2013, 04:40:05 am »

There is nothing to complain about. Take the article at face value and if it isn't your cup of tea............that's the way it is.
Well I'm not the only one to complain about it and 'at face value' it's deceiving by offering a 'tutorial' in building better profiles, but just proving to be an advert.
As far as Lula "dumbing down"..........that is simply your own arrogant opinion.
Not just my opinion, see the thread referenced above.
Instead of being a so pissy try writing an article displaying your vast intelligence.
 I would contribute, but I'm just a happy snapper using yesterdays technology, and articles such as this one help my understanding of the art or craft.......whatever you want to call it.
Just my humble opinion,
As you've said you may not not know much about the subject, but this 'tutorial' won't have improved much, if any, of your understanding of the subject. It certainly won't have improved your chances of building a better profile.
With 35 years experience of electronic imaging and nearly ten years running a custom profiling business, I do have some appreciation of the issues and good articles on profile building are few and far between. I have written on this subject for my own business and after over 100k views the only complaints on the articles I've written have been typographic errors missed on proof reading and the lack of 100% coverage of manufacturer's driver screen shots. (If you have any idea how many inkjet & dye-sub printers and the variations of OS that are possible you'd know that providing 100% coverage of that is economically impossible for a small business).
Whilst on that basis I could write an article for Lula on the subject, Michael would be far better served by commissioning an article by one of the real world class experts that contribute here such as Scott or Andrew.

Now if you have anything constructive to add to the debate on this issue, please do.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 11:41:38 am by Rhossydd »

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2013, 11:56:13 am »

Well I'm not the only one to complain about it and 'at face value' it's deceiving by offering a 'tutorial' in building better profiles, but just proving to be an advert.Not just my opinion, see the thread referenced above.As you've said you may not not know much about the subject, but this 'tutorial' won't have improved much, if any, of your understanding of the subject. It certainly won't have improved your chances of building a better profile.
With 35 years experience of electronic imaging and nearly ten years running a custom profiling business, I do have some appreciation of the issues and good articles on profile building are few and far between. I have written on this subject for my own business and after over 100k views the only complaints on the articles I've written have been typographic errors missed on proof reading and the lack of 100% coverage of manufacturer's driver screen shots. (If you have any idea how many inkjet & dye-sub printers and the variations of OS that are possible you'd know that providing 100% coverage of that is economically impossible for a small business).
Whilst on that basis I could write an article for Lula on the subject, Michael would be far better served by commissioning an article by one of the real world class experts that contribute here such as Scott or Andrew.

Now if you have anything constructive to add to the debate on this issue, please do.

Okay, the above's not aimed specifically at myself, but your treatise has explained your remarks in an earlier post replying to my problems with computers. You simply know too much. This isn't criticism; this is the reality. Many people, especially of my generation, have almost none of your knowledge in computer sciences. Our instinctive reaction is the fear that whatever we do to the computer will simply make something that's currently working go futt, and we will never know what the hell we did and how to fix it.

For example, I have discovered that a refusal by my current Nikon Capture NX2 software to function in my new Windows 8 is to be expected. The solution is to go to Nikon and download a newer version that's W8 compatible, one called Capture NX 2.4.5 Full Version. How the hell was I supposed to know that? The original CD downloaded perfectly, the icon appeared on the desktop, and all looked normal. Except it wouldn't do anything once the programme was activated and up on the monitor. Things should either work or not work, not play hide and seek with the poor sod using them. Anyway, I now have the capability back in Windows 8, and can continue along the path to perdition.

;-)

Rob C

AFairley

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2013, 01:17:27 pm »

Well, Kevin mentioned not a lot of negative comments on the "tutorial" versus times read, and I'm one of the "offended" readers who didn't bother to comment, so now I figure I should.  

What the article boils down to is "you will never be able to build a really good profile yourself, so, really, you are screwed unless you buy our product."  (If you don't believe me, go re-read the article.)  That's not informative, that's a hard sell.  I don't mind people posting articles extolling the virtues of their products as long as they are clearly identified as such and have a reasonably low level of FUD in the content.  I don't doubt that the ImagePrint RIP is very very good.  But the article seriously fails on both of my criteria.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 01:19:33 pm by AFairley »

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2013, 04:50:55 pm »

You simply know too much.
No one knows too much
Many people, especially of my generation, have almost none of your knowledge in computer sciences.
Please don't play the 'I'm an old man too old to learn' card, it's pathetic and derogatory. If you take that approach you do a great disservice to your generation. I know very many octogenarians who make the effort to learn enough about the technology they want to use so that they can use it effectively.
'Too old' isn't an excuse for not making an effort to learn.

Most mature people also wouldn't butt into other peoples conversations and try to change the subject the way you seem to feel is acceptable here.
You've been around this forum long enough to know where to post questions or discussion about specific subjects like computers, high jacking other's threads is either simple antagonism or deliberate foolishness.

Rob C

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2013, 09:58:59 am »

No one knows too muchPlease don't play the 'I'm an old man too old to learn' card, it's pathetic and derogatory. If you take that approach you do a great disservice to your generation. I know very many octogenarians who make the effort to learn enough about the technology they want to use so that they can use it effectively.
'Too old' isn't an excuse for not making an effort to learn.

Most mature people also wouldn't butt into other peoples conversations and try to change the subject the way you seem to feel is acceptable here.
You've been around this forum long enough to know where to post questions or discussion about specific subjects like computers, high jacking other's threads is either simple antagonism or deliberate foolishness.

That's a charming way to end the year; thank you for the good wishes.

Rob C

SunnyUK

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2014, 04:56:55 am »

I read the article. Was disappointed to be presented with a sales speech rather than a document trying to teach me something. Shrugged it off. Then saw Kevin's comment about "the article (sic) has a lot of views but not many negative comments". So I'll do my bit to provide honest feedback: I found the "article" to be utterly confusing, until it became clear that its only purpose was to lead into a sales speech.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up