Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bessa III, a couple of MF questions  (Read 9236 times)

Telecaster

Re: Bessa III, a couple of MF questions
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 03:08:18 pm »

VueScan includes pre-sets for a wide range of colour neg materials. They work pretty well as a starting point.

Yes, VueScan works well for scanning. But I'm re-photographing rather than scanning, as Synn wants to and as Hulyss already does. Neutralizing the orange mask has proven tricky (for me) to get right so I'm curious about how Hulyss deals with it.

-Dave-

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 03:52:41 pm »

Concerning orange mask:

There is a quite effective plugin for Photoshop called "Color Perfect" which produces good colors.
Its has a bunch of presets and if you have your films tech brochures with the gradation curves or measured your own you can even produce your own profiles.
Its not the most elegant user interface, but once you understand it, it produces good results.

http://www.colorneg.com/colorperfect.html?lang=en

slowframe

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2014, 03:59:39 pm »

Thank you everyone for your continued discussion of this topic. It's very useful.

On a side note, the Fuji GF670 (and no doubt its bessa equivalent) has proved quite nice in use. It has an interesting lens with quite a distinctive rendering: sharp, contrasty, and saturated. I've included three images if anyone is interested:

On Tri-X 400:

On Ilford Delta 3200:

On Portra 160:

On Fomapan 400 with a yellow filter:

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2014, 04:08:40 pm »

Nice images.
Film and old lenses rendition still kick butt.
Forget resolution and megapixels.

Cheers
~Chris

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2014, 02:33:01 am »

re - removing orange carrier... what I do is take a shot of the negative with the light box I'm going to use, pull that into photoshop and sample the orange carrier color.  I then create a new document and fill that with the orange carrier color I sampled.  Now invert that to get a blue color and print this out onto transparency film.   You may need to experiment with density since this won't always print well - so you can take back some saturation and print extras and then layer them.   Now you just slide this under your negatives and its easy to sort of remove the carrier - just white balance on the carrier and it will be grey.   I actually put mine between the light and the white plexi diffusing piece on the light box.   

I still use color neg / color perfect plugin.   You need to make one of these blue filters for each type of film you have and also each kind of light source you have if you have a led light box and a flash for example.
Rolleiflex USA

slowframe

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2014, 08:35:25 pm »

Nice images.
Film and old lenses rendition still kick butt.
Forget resolution and megapixels.

Cheers
~Chris

Thanks, Chris. I'm in absolute agreement with you, but I'm not sure how old the lens is on the GF670, however... I'll post some from my Bronica S, when I have a chance to scan them. I do think there you get beautiful rendering from the older lenses, especially in the out of focus areas. The look is less contrasty than with the Fuji.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up