Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: B&W Conversion  (Read 1232 times)

Todd Suttles

• Hi, amateur learning my way...
    • Todd Suttles
B&W Conversion
« on: December 25, 2013, 11:03:36 pm »

I would appreciate any C&C on what could be done to improve this image. I am including the Camera Raw and what I did with it. Thanks in advance, -t
One Day At A Time

cjogo

Re: B&W Conversion
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 11:56:25 pm »

Just  a few tweaks --- just desaturated ...  called up INFO and set my black area and my whites -- dodged your trees slightly -- touch of smart sharpness >   
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 12:03:32 am by cjogo »

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 07:58:29 am »

Just  a few tweaks --- just desaturated ...  called up INFO and set my black area and my whites -- dodged your trees slightly -- touch of smart sharpness >   
I see the difference and like it much better. Thank you cjogo for taking the time to show me.
One Day At A Time

cjogo

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 01:34:22 pm »

Your most welcome --- 

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 06:02:33 am »

I would appreciate any C&C on what could be done to improve this image.

Hi Todd,

It's hard to C&C without a bit more context on what you tried to achieve. Therefore, I've made a conversion as I would do it, just based on the source material. It's a Topaz Labs B&W effects conversion, most of the effect coming from adaptive exposure, a slight darkening of the Cyan contribution, and a little bit of toning added.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

KMRennie

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 07:14:02 am »

Hi Todd
I have gone a little over the top with contrast. Several curves layers especially to the trees on the right to highlight the sunlight. The lots of mid tone contrast (too much) increase to give it some Pop. It's probably not how it was but just to show what can be done. Good luck with monochrome Ken

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 04:08:16 pm »

Hi Todd,

It's hard to C&C without a bit more context on what you tried to achieve. Therefore, I've made a conversion as I would do it, just based on the source material. It's a Topaz Labs B&W effects conversion, most of the effect coming from adaptive exposure, a slight darkening of the Cyan contribution, and a little bit of toning added.

Cheers,
Bart
Thanks Bart for showing me how you would have PP. I am new at this so still learning; I don't have a sense yet of what can be pulled out of digital PP so I don't know what I want to achieve either. It is especially helpful getting comments on what I did do; and also seeing what others do with the same file. Much appreciated...
One Day At A Time

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 04:10:32 pm »

Hi Todd
I have gone a little over the top with contrast. Several curves layers especially to the trees on the right to highlight the sunlight. The lots of mid tone contrast (too much) increase to give it some Pop. It's probably not how it was but just to show what can be done. Good luck with monochrome Ken
Thanks KMRennie for showing me how you would have PP. I am new at this so still learning; I don't have a sense yet of what can be pulled out of digital PP so I don't know what I want to achieve either. It is especially helpful getting comments on what I did do; and also seeing what others do with the same file. Much appreciated...
One Day At A Time
Pages: [1]   Go Up