Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson new printer to replace 4900  (Read 7927 times)

drray3001

Epson new printer to replace 4900
« on: December 25, 2013, 10:36:09 am »

I am about to replace my 3800 with the 4900 or 7900 - however before I do - I wondered about the life cycle of the 4900/7900.  Has anyone heard about anything about replacements for the 4900 and/or 7900 ?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Epson new printer to replace 4900
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 10:37:07 am »

No.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

howardm

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 11:57:19 am »

no but make sure you have enough daily workload for them to keep them busy.  They seem to be quite prone to clogging on the 'I'm going to kill this thing' level if used intermittently.

drray3001

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 12:02:14 pm »

thanks for the info

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 12:09:48 pm »

Hey drrray, FWIW I was an epson user for MANY years but had such a rotten time with their 4000 (did everything but perform an exorcism on it) that when the time came I went to a Canon ipf 6300. No problems whatsoever thus far. I'm still on my first set of heads and as I'm sure others will point out, they are fairly expensive to replace but, you can do that yourself and not be subject to the vagaries of 3rd party technicians trying to play beat the clock.
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

drray3001

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 01:08:28 pm »

thanks for the feedback - I have no experience with Canon printers - however I will look into them

Some Guy

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 01:44:33 pm »

thanks for the feedback - I have no experience with Canon printers - however I will look into them

Do take a look at the Canons.  They do a good job and seem to clog less, and if they do, with most you can change the head out rather than toss the entire Epson printer in to the garbage for what it costs to change one head on theirs.  My local lab made the switch from Epson to Canon when their wide-bed clogged over one weekend.  Nothing bad to say about the Canon so far.

From my own experience with my old desktop Canon 9000 II, I did change a head out myself for about $130 after 2 years.  Easy as changing out the carts.  Epson is a major disassembly and an expensive head too which is maybe 2/3 price of the printer too.

Also, I refill both the Epson and Canon with non OEM inks (Cone for Epson, and OCP for the Canon.).  The OCP is cheap stuff and maybe 35 cents to refill a Canon cart.  Plus, the disturbing part is it produces a much better black than I can get with the Epson & Cone dye ink too!  Looking at those 3D Lab "Compare" views in the i1 Profiler software, I can tag the bottom of the L-line (dMax) with glossy paper in the Canon 9000 II with the OCP dye ink, and cannot do so with the Epson using same paper.  Blacks out of the Canon always seem deeper and much richer where the Epson seems duller and maybe not even a true black (Hint of a color at times in the blacks.).  I don't get why as the Epson uses 3 black tanks (4 if you count the Matte Black too.).  Maybe the Epson does better on a linear gray, but for a maximum black I don't see it over the Canon.

I was planning on going to a second Epson 3880 for the Cone K7 B&W and even bought a second set of carts for that purpose, but I may hold off for a Canon "ipf something" from what I see with the Canon dMax I've been getting.  Canon seems to be pushing ahead more on various printers of late than Epson.  Maybe retire the 3880 to the Cone K7 and use a Canon for color.  Bad part is that the Canon may need a RIP to do anything special and the only one that seems to work with them is the Ergosoft StudioPrint 14 (= $,$$$).  Epson is more friendly to other much cheaper RIPs (e.g. QuadTone RIP for $50.).

imho, of course.

SG

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 02:11:02 pm »

no but make sure you have enough daily workload for them to keep them busy.  They seem to be quite prone to clogging on the 'I'm going to kill this thing' level if used intermittently.
That's how I feel about my 4900, hate it due to the clogging issues. 25 feet away is a 3880 that never clogs. Best Epson printer I've ever owned.
Someone come to Santa Fe with a truck, take this 4900 POS from me, it's yours!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Rand47

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 02:46:00 pm »

That's how I feel about my 4900, hate it due to the clogging issues. 25 feet away is a 3880 that never clogs. Best Epson printer I've ever owned.
Someone come to Santa Fe with a truck, take this 4900 POS from me, it's yours!

Hey Andrew!  Tell me when to be there...   :-)

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 02:50:25 pm »

Anytime after the first of the year. Seriously, I'd never attempt to sell it. It's kind of worthless and I'd be guilty doing so. I tried to give it to a school but no one wanted it and, considering what a huge PITA it is, that wouldn't work out. You can have it and the extra ink I have but my experience is, you literally have to run a nozzle check every day and run multiple cleanings too. It's a lemon. I've gone through a Maint Cart with only a few hunderd prints. It might be useful for spar parts or as a door stop. I'm happy to recycle it if I can.

jrsforums

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 03:09:28 pm »

Anytime after the first of the year. Seriously, I'd never attempt to sell it. It's kind of worthless and I'd be guilty doing so. I tried to give it to a school but no one wanted it and, considering what a huge PITA it is, that wouldn't work out. You can have it and the extra ink I have but my experience is, you literally have to run a nozzle check every day and run multiple cleanings too. It's a lemon. I've gone through a Maint Cart with only a few hunderd prints. It might be useful for spar parts or as a door stop. I'm happy to recycle it if I can.

Andrew....after a total drop out, I got my 4900 back working again....and then went through the
lack of use" constant problems.

On recommendation by someone from this forum, I tried the Harvey Head Cleaner (special version for 4900...send a note to them).  Have been using it for about 3 weeks.  Prints a noozle check once a day, automatically.  I have had occasional single spot "drops".  One auto check/clean and it clears up. 

My plan is to buy it at end of 30 day check.  May or may not be a long term fix, but it has renewed my interested in the 4900.  I was like you....ready to give it to first to show up, so I did not have to pay someone to take it away.

Ya may want to try.....

Happy Holiday....or, for me, Merry CHristmas....John
John

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 03:22:02 pm »

On recommendation by someone from this forum, I tried the Harvey Head Cleaner (special version for 4900...send a note to them).
I'll check it out, thanks!

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2013, 03:25:16 pm »

Appears no Mac version of the Harvey Head Cleaner. I do have a Windows laptop I hate as much as this 4900, maybe a match made in heven?  ;D

jrsforums

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2013, 04:42:31 pm »

Appears no Mac version of the Harvey Head Cleaner. I do have a Windows laptop I hate as much as this 4900, maybe a match made in heven?  ;D

I have a friend who is going Mac, but is keeping a Win system to drive his printers...mainly for Qimage, but could be used with Harvey.  Since I don't use it, I don't remember if 4900 has internet, but think it does....might allow access via Macs.
John

JeffW

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2013, 11:06:04 pm »

I am in the same boat as digitaldog.  During this cold snap, humidity dropped to about 30% and VM started to drop out. Did a head clean and the entire VM dropped. Not a single nozzle showing. Have tried Peizio, Windex, blood sweat and tears, and have a few nozzles back on VM.

This is the third time I have had a complete dropout on this printer. Previously I have managed to get back to printing; no success this time, so far. I had great success with the Harvey Head Cleaner. It kept the machine running for me for about 7 months.

I am thinking this may be the last time this horse goes down. If I do change out, will definitely go Canon. This printer and lack of response from Epson has been the final nail.

BrianWJH

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2013, 11:33:20 pm »

Have tried Peizio, Windex, blood sweat and tears, and have a few nozzles back on VM.

I had great success with the Harvey Head Cleaner. It kept the machine running for me for about 7 months.

Wondering what product is 'Peizio', is it a head cleaning solution?

Are you saying that even with Harvey Head Cleaner running you still had VM clogging?

Brian.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2013, 11:39:41 pm »

I've owned my current 4900 for just a shade over two years now and printed about 1150 sq.ft. in that time period. The systematic pattern is that it must not be left idle for more than three days, otherwise at least one channel will be blocked. It's probably not "clogged ink", but dried ink on or near the surface, because a one pass one pair head cleaning usually fixes it. If left unused for several weeks, however, more channels are unapparent on the check pattern and more cleaning is required. Sooner or later, all the channels always comes back; the longest waste of time with this has been about 40 minutes. More vigilance is needed in winter than in summer because humidity in the room is lower - winter can be as low as 20% which is not enough, and I should run a humidifier, but this needs to be controlled for other reasons. Apart from this nuisance, the 4900 is the finest quality photo printer I've ever owned. It is built like a tank and the gamut, tonality, detail rendition and overall print quality are superb, so I put up with the inconvenience and will continue to do so unless major, expensive repair issues were to arise. My experience with the 3800 I owned before buying the 4900 was far better in terms of freedom from blocked channels. The question I would put to Andrew, however, is whether his 3880 delivers visibly the same print quality as his 4900 when it works correctly. I am asking this question with no particular motive in mind - it is simply to know the answer, just in case he has done such comparisons.

drray3001

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2013, 11:43:37 pm »

Wow - I sure am glad I asked my question on this forum.  What a nightmare it sounds like the 4900 has been for so many.  I will steer clear of that and the 7900 which I gather has the same issues.  I am not daily user nor do I want to be.  I some times go months without using the 3800 and never seem to have issues with dropout/clogging - only now do I realize how fortunate I have been.

I will start exploring Canon printers.  Thanks all!

jpegman

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2013, 11:54:32 pm »

If you still need further discussion on what a dog the 4900 is, check out this link
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3597043#forum-post-52778319
on DPReview, especially Jtoolman's comments.

Jpegman

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2013, 11:58:24 pm »

In a general sense, you need to know what percentage of 4900 users would consider this printer to be a "nightmare" before you carry away an overall impression of this machine's serviceability when being used in the way its designers intended. Web forums are wonderful for culling complaints and get much less traffic from people who simply carry-on getting expected service from the equipment they buy. That said, if you now know you will be printing at infrequent intervals, a 4900 is most likely the wrong printer to buy. Get a 3880 instead if you don't need roll paper.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up