Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ImagePrint for Canon Printers ?  (Read 2028 times)

paulbk

ImagePrint for Canon Printers ?
« on: December 23, 2013, 07:44:54 pm »

Does ImagePrint (RIP) support Canon printers?
If not, any plans to?
paul b.k.
New England, USA

Some Guy

Re: ImagePrint for Canon Printers ?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 08:31:54 pm »

On their printer's listing, they only show Epson: http://www.colorbytesoftware.com/Ver9/supported_printers.shtml

Only thing that bother's me about ImagePrint is that you are using their canned (downloaded) profiles, much like generic paper profiles from the manufacturer (if they supply them).  If you use a third party ink, then what?  Will they have the same ink to match yours?  Worse if you begin mixing Ebony inks yourself since they do not include a linearization program either which seems a bit offing which could lead to lose of shadow detail or whites getting inked up a bit.  I have even made some major 6 of 9 ink cart change-out using the OEM ink and the color shifted which is sort of annoying in a large same print run.  Don't see how they can track and adjust for that mess if you also need an i1 spectrometer or similar to write or correct a profile too.

Ergosoft's StudioPrint 14 does support the ipf series of Canon printers, Epson, and some others.  They have different versions, but I think the cheapest is around $1,300 too.  I was looking at using maybe a Canon ipf5100 and doing a warm and cool tone B&W K7 inkset both in it.  They said it can do it, but they would have to walk me through the RIP setup to do it all.  They seem to base the software price on the size and cost of the printer.  I think mine was a A3 or A6 designation (Smaller desktop one @ about $1,300.).

However, I'm holding off as StudioPrint 15 may appear in mid 2014 and maybe some new Epson printers too.  The upgrade from StudioPrint 13 to 14 was $500 and that might be the same going from 14 to 15 as well, so I can wait a bit.

SG

paulbk

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 08:51:39 pm »

Thanks! I was just exploring the idea of using a RIP. But it sounds like it's not worth the hassle for what I do. I'm not a pro, but I have a private following for prints. I'm currently in the market for new printer. Thinking Canon Pixma Pro-1. Good reviews, albeit heavy ink usage. I'd rather buy ink than deal with clogs.
Thanks again.
paul b.k.
New England, USA

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 08:53:14 pm »

Thanks! I was just exploring the idea of using a RIP.
Why? And FWIW, depending on what functionality of ImagePrint you buy, it's not a RIP (it doesn't rasterize no raster image data). It's a substitute print driver.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

paulbk

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 09:59:16 pm »

Andrew,
Thank you. I just read "..It's All In The Recipe" and ImagePrint seemed like a good idea. But your question is an important one, Why? I can't answer that. You not only saved me money. You also saved me from clogged arteries and popping something important in my brain from the frustration of getting in way over my head.
Thanks again.
paul b.k.
New England, USA

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 10:34:22 pm »

Don't hold your breath. I used ImagePrint with my Epson 9600. It worked very well, the ICC profiles were great, and its B&W output was really nice. When I bought the then-new Canon iPF8000 I inquired with ColorByte and they said they were working on porting ImagePrint to the Canon iPF printers. That was in 2006.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 10:36:09 pm by Chris_Brown »
~ CB

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 06:14:10 am »

Does ImagePrint (RIP) support Canon printers?
If not, any plans to?

Mac user I guess so Qimage Ultimate can only be used with Wimdows but there are work arounds for that. Not a RIP either but with many RIP like features you might like. For B&W you could check the BowHaus True B&W RIP that aims at Canon iPF models. Mac only. All affordable.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
July 2013, 500+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 03:17:02 pm »

I've been to a local print festival three years in a row, and every year ImagePrint is there and every year the guy says "Yeah, we're almost done with Canon!"

I've given up waiting :(

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!
Pages: [1]   Go Up