Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 5 not exporting all keywords with exported file?  (Read 10359 times)

Rand47

Lightroom 5 not exporting all keywords with exported file?
« on: December 23, 2013, 04:00:18 pm »

I'm posting this for a friend who cannot log in to LULA at the moment (remote).

"In LR4 when I exported files from LR all the associated keywords were exported and available in the metadata.  In LR5 many of the keywords are missing when exported.  Is this a known bug?

To further explore the problem, I've discovered that when I do an export of the keywords as a txt file (Metadata > Export Keywords) - many of the keywords in the txt file have brackets around them that I did not insert when adding the keyword.  And what is strange is that all the keywords that are "missing" in an exported file's metadata are ones with brackets in the keyword list txt file.  There is an obvious relationship here.

How do I fix this problem so that all keywords are exported with the file?"

Thanks in advance for any help you might provide Laurens!

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

RikkFlohr

• Adobe, Inc. - Photography Products
    • Rikk Flohr's Website
Re: Lightroom 5 not exporting all keywords with exported file?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 04:21:34 pm »

No bug - expected behavior.

Brackets [] are the signal to Lightroom when importing a Keyword that it is a do not "Include on Export" keyword as designated by a Keyword's properties when you double click on a keyword.  Braces {} are the symbol to designate a Synonym. Thus any keyword designated as "Include on Export will not have brackets.

I would expect that keywords with Brackets would not export.

Your fix is to repair the keywords by double clicking each missing keyword and checking the Include on Export box. As far as I know, there is no batch operation to accomplish this.  Now... how they got changed, if they were changed is the next question.
Rikk Flohr
Quality Engineer Customer Advocate - Photography Products
Adobe

Tony Jay

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 04:39:53 pm »

To expand on this further:
"Do not export" keywords can be very useful as an organizational tool.
I use them to categorise keyword hierarchies such as "WORLD LOCATION".
I capitalize "Do not export" keywords to make it clear what their role is and also that they are not expected to be exported.
Child keywords can be set to export as usual.

Tony Jay

laurenshoddenbagh

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 04:40:26 pm »

Thank you Rand for posting this topic.
Now I'm registered myself I can see the other posts.
I hope someone can help me with this

Laurens

laurenshoddenbagh

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 04:44:32 pm »

Thank you Rikk,
There are too many keywords in my keyword list to do what you suggest.
And besides that, every time when I add a bunch of new keywords, collected from my Keyword program Image Info Toolkit, it wil happen again.

Laurens

Tony Jay

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 05:55:27 pm »

The way to easily resolve this problem is to add keywords from within Lightroom.
You then have the opportunity to decide whether the keyword in question should be exportable or not.

Tony Jay

laurenshoddenbagh

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 07:07:27 pm »

Tony, that seems easier but it is a lot more work then the way I use it. Somtimes there are 50 or more keywords for one photo. Beside that I have yet almost 10000 keywords where most of them are not exported.
What I don't understand is that LR changed the way keywords are exported. Adobe should fix this problem.
Laurens

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 06:34:26 am »

So let's be sure what the problem is. You have a large number of keywords which are not exporting? When you edit a keyword in Lightroom, the Include on Export is not ticked? If you want to change that in all those keywords, I have a script that will do it.

As for why it's happening, a long time ago there was a LR upgrade bug which incorrectly set the export flag. I think it was around the time of Lr2, but I can't believe this is affecting you - it'll be something you've done which isn't yet clear. How exactly are you adding the new keywords to LR? Are you using Metadata > Import Keywords? Are these [ ] brackets in a text file that you're importing?

RikkFlohr

• Adobe, Inc. - Photography Products
    • Rikk Flohr's Website
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 08:37:55 am »

Perhaps it is time to talk to the people who make your Controlled Vocabulary List?
Rikk Flohr
Quality Engineer Customer Advocate - Photography Products
Adobe

laurenshoddenbagh

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 03:21:46 pm »

You have a large number of keywords which are not exporting?

Yes John, most of the keywords are not exported.

When you edit a keyword in Lightroom, the Include on Export is not ticked?
How exactly are you adding the new keywords to LR? Are you using Metadata > Import Keywords? Are these [ ] brackets in a text file that you're importing?

I'm not editing the keywords in LR. I have a program where I gather all the keywords (IIT). In that program all keywords are comma separated, no other structure in it, no brackets.
I copy those keywords and paste them in the keyword panel in LR.

If you want to change that in all those keywords, I have a script that will do it.

That would be great. I suppose you can tell me how to execute that script :)
After using that script LR is not doing it's thing again by putting brackets around keywords?
And what about the new photos where I add keywords?
Is that script working in LR constantly?

Great that you are looking into this. Thanks!

laurenshoddenbagh

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 03:27:02 pm »

Perhaps it is time to talk to the people who make your Controlled Vocabulary List?
I don't see why because it generates just comma separated keywords. But maybe you can tell why I should :)

Tony Jay

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 04:01:51 pm »

Tony, that seems easier but it is a lot more work then the way I use it. Somtimes there are 50 or more keywords for one photo. Beside that I have yet almost 10000 keywords where most of them are not exported.
What I don't understand is that LR changed the way keywords are exported. Adobe should fix this problem.
Laurens
I looked up the program that you using to generate your keyword hierarchy.
I could not find, yet, any information on how the hierarchy is constructed under the hood.
However, I don't believe that it is helpful to assume that Adobe, in general, and, Lightroom in particular, is at fault.
One could argue, just as fruitlessly, that the fault is with your software provider.

Tony Jay

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 04:44:09 pm »

One little task for you. In Keyword List, right click one of the keywords that's failing to export and ensure Include on Export is unticked.

OK, assuming that is the problem, I've put the script here. It runs through all keywords in the catalogue, switching the Include on Export to true.

To run the script, create a folder called Scripts in your LR application support folder (find it by Preferences > Presets > Show Lightroom Presets Folder). This new folder should be in the same Lightroom folder as ones like Smart Collection Templates, Text Style Presets etc.

Unzip the above file and save the little lua file in this Scripts folder, restart LR and you’ll have a scripts menu to the right of Help, and one item. Backup your catalogue first, and you can run the script.

I'll leave to Tony figuring out what's causing this - he's right so far, it wouldn't be Lightroom doing it on its own.

John
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 04:52:08 pm by johnbeardy »

Tony Jay

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, 04:53:33 pm »

I have done a bit more research into this issue prompted by John Beardsworth's comment. (John's memory on this issue was good but not perfect and the problem was noted in Lightroom 4.x and not 2.x.)
Lr 4.0 and 4.1 had an issue where, in a keyword hierarchy, if a keyword was designated as non-exportable, then any keywords nested beneath that keyword would not export either even if the nested keywords were supposed to be exportable.
Lr 4.2 provided an appropriate bug fix.
Since 4.2 this has not been an issue.

So, my suggestion is to check exactly which version of 4.x you are running and upgrade to 4.4 (I think that was the last upgrade for 4.x) and then check whether the issue recurs.
Hopefully this settles a somewhat enigmatic issue.

Tony Jay

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2013, 04:55:24 pm »

I have done a bit more research into this issue prompted by John Beardsworth's comment. (John's memory on this issue was good but not perfect and the problem was noted in Lightroom 4.x and not 2.x.)

Two different problems, Tony. I wasn't thinking of the 4x one!

Happy Christmas All

John

Rand47

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2013, 05:57:48 pm »

Two different problems, Tony. I wasn't thinking of the 4x one!

Happy Christmas All

John

And, I'm pretty sure that Laurens is running 5.3.  Laurens?

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Tony Jay

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2013, 06:45:09 pm »

" In LR4 when I exported files from LR all the associated keywords were exported and available in the metadata.  In LR5 many of the keywords are missing when exported.  Is this a known bug?

Well one can work with what one is given - yes.

Tony Jay
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 06:47:11 pm by Tony Jay »

laurenshoddenbagh

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2013, 07:07:24 pm »

One little task for you. In Keyword List, right click one of the keywords that's failing to export and ensure Include on Export is unticked.
Yes John, it was 'unticked'. Then I 'ticked' it, exported the photo and voila, the keyword was exported. :)

BTW I'm working with a Mac and have LR 5.3

I'm very pleased by all the help you guys are giving me :) Thank you very much!

To make things perhaps a bit more clear... In the Image Info Toolkit I select the word which is at the end of the chain to a window in that program, then I select them all copy and paste them in the key wording area in LR. I'm doing it now, just to show you what the result is with the keyword 'Dog Canyon'. I paste it now in this post so you can see how it shows up in LR.

Dog Canyon,Oliver Lee Memorial State Park,New Mexico,North America,United States of America,Alamogordo,USA,U.S.A.,Amerika,America,SP,State Park,Oliver Lee,NM,US,U.S.,United States

You see, it's just comma separated tekst. Nothing under the hood.

I will now backup the catalog and install the script.
When that's done I'll be back.

Laurens

Rand47

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2013, 07:20:25 pm »

Well one can work with what one is given - yes.

Tony Jay

The last part of that paragraph in my original post.

In LR5 many of the keywords are missing when exported.

Tony,

Sorry if my original posting for Laurens was unclear.  The above is what I hoped to emphasize. 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

laurenshoddenbagh

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2013, 11:46:23 pm »

To run the script, create a folder called Scripts in your LR application support folder (find it by Preferences > Presets > Show Lightroom Presets Folder). This new folder should be in the same Lightroom folder as ones like Smart Collection Templates, Text Style Presets etc.

Could you please be more precise where that folder is, I can't find it.
I added a screenshot of my folder structure.

Laurens
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up