Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Photo printing quality all-in-one with scan/copy  (Read 4451 times)

Tuli

Best Photo printing quality all-in-one with scan/copy
« on: December 23, 2013, 02:50:02 pm »

I am looking for an all-in-one (with just scanning/copy no fax needed but possible) that has the best photo printing quality (in addition to the photo-processing printer). All reviews focus on the printing speed, # of sheets, feeding etc. for which I do not care. I need it for good text printing and quick color printing in as good a quality as this kind of printer allows. The Epson Artisan 827 has 5 color cartridges + black (the max I've seen for this kind printer); It supposed to have good color print quality but it tends to stain the paper with a black blotch or black line. It's very big` for a "small printer". There is another printer recommended for photo quality but the text quality is poor!
I do not need a separate, high quality scanner therefore I would like a printer with a simple scanner. Of course the ink/volume cost matters, this is what they make their money on, but the print quality (color & text) is more important.

na goodman

Re: Best Photo printing quality all-in-one with scan/copy
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 04:48:47 pm »

The Epson xp810 would be a good choice.

Tuli

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 03:18:48 pm »

Thanks for the advise - good to know. It's a great value! I like the fact that it's smaller 15/4x13.5x7.5 not-printing Vs Artisan 837 18.3x18.7.8 - very big! However, the XP810 has only 3 colors (+ 2 blacks, meaningful?) Vs Artisan 837 that has 5 colors (+ 1 black) which is meaningful for the color print quality. Is there any other all-in-one with at least 5 colors, to consider (preferably smaller)?

na goodman

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 06:08:00 pm »

There is an xp850 that has the 5 color, 1 black. They took out the  2 lt. Colors and added a pigment black for much better text than the artisan model. I had print samples of both, to most people they wouldn't notice the difference and apparently wanted the better text. You are not going to find something smaller in an all in one unless you go without the fax and give up the automatic document feeder.

Tuli

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 10:01:39 pm »

Thanks so much for your input. I believe that the XP850 & Artisan 837 have same type of ink cartridges: 5 color & 1 black. Is the pigment black what gives better text quality? Do both have it? I understand that you compared color prints of both? It depends on the image. I would expect that both will have similar color print quality, both having 4 colors. I didn't check the nozzle size & the # drop per Sq.in but I don't know how significant it is.

As I stated originally, I don't need the fax; I don't mind it either. Also, the auto paper feeding (you mean for copying? for printing the come from the tray) isn't important. The SIZE is a much more important factor for me. What smaller printer do you suggest with similar print quality?
Thanks again

na goodman

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 12:45:13 am »

The xp610 would be smaller. No fax, no auto document feeder. Same print quality. Yes, the pigment black gives better text.

Tuli

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 01:07:04 am »

Thanks. You really know a lot of products. Is there one w/o fax & w/o feeder that has 5 colors - meaningful for color print quality - and the pigment black? the XP610 has only three & 2 kinds of black - does it mean it's not pigment?

na goodman

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 01:15:28 am »

When they have 2 blacks, one is pigment for text and the other is a photo black that is dye base. I can't think of a 5 color in the current line up that has 5 colors other than the ones mentioned. Right now the epson's are the smallest all in ones out there.

Tuli

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 02:02:43 pm »

Thanks. So the ones with 5 color are the Artisan 837 & the xp850. I checked the specs and the only difference I see is that the artisan has auto paper feed that the 850 DOES NOT seem to have and the 850 is a little smaller which is good. Is there any other difference? in both I pay for fax that I don't need; the price for both is similar depends where you buy. Both have only one black (2 blacks have the cheaper ones, 3 color). Does it mean that it's not pigment and that the text quality of the 837 & 850 is lesser than in the cheaper ones? this is confusing.
to summarize: there isn't a printer with 5 colors + black, without fax, and smaller; the 5 color have only one black - text quality?

Tuli

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 02:03:55 pm »

Q: I can see how the depth is smaller when not printing and the tray is in.
How can the width decrease when not printing as they claim for the Epson xp850, from 17.2 to 15.4?

na goodman

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 03:17:46 pm »

Right, the text quality is not as good on the 5 color. That is why epson introduced the xp line to have better text and still the image
quality is high. The Artisan line is not made anymore, the other printer's replaced it. Fax and the automatic document feeder go
hand in hand. No fax, no automatic document feeder and then the printer is also smaller.

Tuli

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 06:07:24 pm »

I am confused. you said that the xp850 has better text quality (than then 837) but it also has only one black ink?
Which printer with 5 colors with good text doesn't have fax and hence, smaller?
How can a printer become narrower when not printing (xp850 17,2 to 15.4)? I understand less deep (folded tray).

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2013, 06:09:35 pm »

Canon PIXMA MG7120. I have had several small Canon 5 cart printers. These all have CMYK plus a pigment black for text. They have all been very good photo printers as well as good office printers. This one has an additional grey cart which should be even better.

I now have a Canon PRO 100 for photos but continue to use my ip4920 as my basic printer. The a PIXMA MG7120 should be a good choice for you. It's $149 and also prints CD/DVDs.  

Tuli

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2013, 07:52:04 pm »

Thanks for your suggestion. However, it doesn't have light Cyan nor light magenta; the scan resolution is low; it's very big - wide! The width is what matter to me more than the depth. Is there one w 5 colors, good scan, good text and smaller for more money?

rgs

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2013, 08:10:42 pm »

Thanks for your suggestion. However, it doesn't have light Cyan nor light magenta; the scan resolution is low; it's very big - wide! The width is what matter to me more than the depth. Is there one w 5 colors, good scan, good text and smaller for more money?

I have no experience with the scan. I use and Epson V700. But I can tell you from several years of experience with Canon's small 5 cart printers that you probably won't miss the light cyan or light magenta. They are excellent photo printers with just CMYK and pigment black. I think you would be surprised at the image quality that the Canon 5 cart printers can produce and it's easier to keep 5 carts in ink than 7 (or more). The PIXMA MG7120 just adds a grey which might blend with the colors to lighten them.

If I were going to make a suggestion for more money it would be to get separate units. The Canon ip4920 is an really good dual purpose printer that does an excellent job with photos. It's about $100 but you will probably have to order it. They are not in stock most places. The Epson V700 might be  more scanner than you want to buy but, if you don't want to scan film, you can find many good flatbeds in the $200 range.

Tuli

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2013, 09:56:14 pm »

That's interesting.  you are right, I don't need a super scanner but would like one up to standard in all the printers this size. I am not interested in separate unit because of the space; even the one unit printer/scanner (fax I don't need) I would like a small one. the Canon ip4920 is very big - very wide, the width is what I am concerned with; however it is discontinued.
Now I have all the numbers are mixed up; I have a headache. The Canon MG7120 with 3 colors, grey & pigment black has lower resolution in scanning but seem to have higher resolution in printing? compare to the Epson xp850 that has 5 color & 1-black. THe later has fax but is SMALLER (15.4"W not printing) than the MG7120 (18.4"!).
How can a printer get narrower when not printing (I can see less deep)?

rgs

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2013, 10:47:42 pm »

My Epson V700 has optical resolution of 4800 x 6400. The Espon all in one has an optical resolution of 4800 and the Canon of 4800 x 2400. Scanner resolutions specs are notoriously imprecise. My V700 give specs for optical resolution, hardware resolution and interpolated resolution. The interpolated spec is pretty much meaningless. I think either the Canon or the Epson will do an excellent job on documents and a good job on printed photos. I would not expect them to do well with film. They may not even be capable of scanning film.

I did not know the ip4920 was discontinued but I'm not surprised. It seems the market just will not tolerate a 8.5" printer that is not also a scanner and a fax machine. I have used this Canon series all the way back to the ip4300 and each one has been better but it looks like my 4920 is the end of the line. The supposed replacement does not get good reviews.

Looking over your requirements, I would choose the Epson.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up