Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Find Along the Trail  (Read 5578 times)

framah

Re: A Find Along the Trail
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2013, 05:28:02 pm »

So, Chris... How about showing the rest of us.. the ones whom you are doubting  our qualifications to critique... some examples of your  "expertise".

Post a few more of your best stuff.

"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2013, 07:42:38 pm »

Never said I was an expert and didn't question anyone else, just you as I went through your posts for the last two years, most of which, picturewise have been deleted. The only one I liked, though it was rather touristy chiche-ish, was the lighthouse. The shot at Antelope Canyon was about as flat and lifeless as one could make an image and visually void of a particular focal point. I made a significant improvement in photoshop but on such a small image, it's hard to tell.

My stuff is on here. Is it all great...not by any stretch, but I am an admitted work in progress and some of the stuff I've posted is pretty damn good and that's by a lot of standards. I'm not from Missouri, but I like the "Show Me" motto. If you've got it, show it. If not, then go back to your canvas stretchers, glass cutting, printing stuff and leave me be. That others on here also didn't find a reasonable image to like...okay, but I've seen their work and know from whence they come.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 08:07:41 pm by Chris Calohan »
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

robdickinson

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2013, 09:05:52 pm »

I dont think there is enough contrast/separation between the 'subject' and the background.

The bokeh is a bit distracting and the rest is a little bit busy.

Its a nice shot to look at though , and an idea to work on.

But I'm just an amateur so what do i know.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2013, 10:17:04 am »

This photo doesn't do much for me, either. However, what seems to come out of this series of posts is an interesting reflection of the forum as a whole. These are my own observations after a few years of dipping in and out of this forum.

We see many wonderful examples of finely crafted photographs - so well seen, captured and processed that even posting a photo here can be a bit intimidating. These photos are heralded and lauded appropriately.

Some photos posted cause us to reflect more deeply about what the photographer is trying to achieve with often very insightful discussions.

Others miss the mark completely and end up with few, if any comments.

Typically, no one here really wants to pounce on anyone and if they do, they typically have good reasons to, and they take the time to explain them, as did framah. But, it takes a bit of fortitude to do so because, often, the photographer takes the criticism poorly, becomes defensive, then, as in this case (and others I've seen here over the years) questions the credentials of the critic. This is unfortunate as most of us are here to learn.

If there's a criticism, we should be able to say so without retribution, provided they are not simply sniping comments. If you disagree, that's fine, too. If you are on the receiving end, take your lumps, learn from it or politely agree to disagree, and move on. But also take the time to think long and hard about the criticism and try to understand what the critics are saying.

The ones who learn best are those who can take a step back and be entirely objective about their own work and re-evaluate it in light of the criticism. That's not to say you must agree to what everyone else says and mould your work to the expectations of others. But if others think it doesn't "work", then perhaps there is a kernel of understanding that can be gained from the criticism.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

framah

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2013, 11:00:07 am »

So, Chris...who are you responding to?

I don't have any lighthouse images on my site, so you must be talking to Bill. If you are going to respond to a post, reference it.

I am the one who does the framing and printing for 20 years now and have been photographing  for almost 40 years.

You showed it because you THOUGHT you had it, but, in reality, you DIDN'T "have it" and for the reasons we posted. So, how about, instead of getting into a pi**ing match,  you let go of your preconceived notions and try to learn something.

You also showed it because you wanted pats on your back for what a great shot you discovered and what you got was some reality and critiques. If you take a photography class, do you get all pi**y if the teacher rips your image apart? The answer SHOULD be no, as that is why you are there..and here... to learn.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

bill proud

• http://www.billproudphotography.com
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2013, 12:55:10 pm »

Thank you LuxBorealis for posting what I have been thinking.

It was not my intent to demean or bully Chris on his work but was hoping that an honest critique would help him to improve. I suppose I may have appeared as a drive-by shooter since I rarely post here, or anywhere else, for the very reasons Lux stated but my intent was to help, even if it seemed blunt.

framah,

Thanks for your comments. I've been fortunate to have been to the Wave three times living only 250 miles away. I wish I could say I've gotten anything I'm really pleased with and that is different than anyone else's. And my knees are almost gone as well.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2013, 01:23:32 pm »

I have to agree with Terry's ("LuxBorealis") post, and I think Framah's critique was quite fair.

Chris, you have indeed posted many truly fine images on LuLa and I always look forward to your posts, but this one didn't move me.

In my 60-odd years of photographing there have been a number of times when I saw something that moved me deeply and photographed it, only to have knowledgeable viewers dismiss the result as uninspiring or worse. Having a great idea doesn't guarantee that the image will reach others the way it did you. That shouldn't lessen the value of the image to you. But you may need to accept the idea that some images only work for a very limited audience.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up