Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A Find Along the Trail  (Read 5574 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
A Find Along the Trail
« on: December 23, 2013, 08:16:39 am »

I was watching where I was walking.

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: A Find Along the Trail
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 12:44:04 am »

Well seen!  And captured!!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

framah

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 11:42:54 am »

I don't see it. What did you find??
It just looks like a jumbled up image.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 03:05:10 pm »

I cannot possibly imagine that you cannot see this...but then again, stranger things have happened.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Johnny_Johnson

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 03:11:47 pm »

I don't see anything either. Would you explain what it is that you see/like in the image?

Thanks,
Johnny

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 05:00:20 pm »

In case Chris doesn't want to give it away, how about Mike: Can you tell us what you see?
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

churly

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 08:47:46 pm »

Ok, I feel better now.  If Eric doesn't see it then I know it's not just me.
Chuck Hurich

degrub

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 12:50:39 am »

Must be arachnophobia  ;)

Frank

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 08:07:06 am »

I look at a scene from a variety of viewpoints: light is probably the foremost element, leading lines next, followed by form or shape. Into that mix there is always some visual point that balances out a scene. In this case, I saw this beautiful background light, a heavy thrust of right to left diagonals in the pathway, the limbs and to some degree even the lean of the tree trunks, again, right to left in orientation. What stood out to me, that which caught my eye was this single small, wiry limb sticking upward and left to right orientation. The brightness of the one leaf combined with the tiny tendril of spider web just enough of a countering light element to balance the entirety of the scene. To me, there is great strength in to this small bit of light. 

DwayneOakes

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 08:52:30 am »

Awesome back light caught up in the DOF, great find !

Dwayne Oakes

Johnny_Johnson

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 09:49:44 am »

Thanks for the explanation Chris.

Later,
Johnny

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 10:45:12 am »

Thanks for the explanation Chris.

Later,
Johnny
Thanks from me, too.
I see the twig with the sunlit leaf OK, but the combination of my monitor's resolution and my aging eyesight make it hard for me to find the elusive tendril of spider web. I applaud the concept.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2013, 11:40:30 am »

Thanks, Dwayne, Mike and all. Guess I am going to have to figure out how to get the proper BBC code to present my images the same as yours. Perhaps then, the detail will show through.

davidh202

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 12:05:54 am »

If that is what you saw in this image then I would suggest that you de saturate those bright orange leaves below the little twiggy , because they steal the show! ;-)
David

framah

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 02:36:23 pm »

Seriously, the whole image is a jumble of a mess of "Stuff" that has absolutely no focal point. There is nothing that draws your eye into the picture except for those orange leaves but  then, there is nowhere to go once you are on those leaves.

As for a spider web, as it is against the almost black of the trunk and it has no light  on it to make it stand out, the whole image fails if the tiny web was what you were trying to capture.
I am looking at this image on a LaCie 324 monitor so I know it isn't my monitor that is lacking.... the web is BARELY visible until I enlarge the image 3 times.

This is one of those times when  you needed to stop and STAY on the subject and EXPLORE it. Just taking a shot or two and thinking you "got it" usually means that you didn't get it. There is always a better image, a better view, a better story to tell if you only take the time to discover.

If you had moved a bit one way or the other, maybe the web you say is in there might have become more prominent and the crap in the background would go away.

There aren't any leading lines or anything except that you have too bright a background that is all messed up to the point that it detracts from anything else, limbs and trunks that don't go anywhere except out of the image. a tiny plant in the middle of the image with not enough backlighting to make it do anything but sit there and a spider web that doesn't show up.

All in all, this image fails on so many levels that you need to go try it again. Go LOOK for webs and take an hour or two and really shoot them. Keep minimizing the junk in the image till you have distilled it down to the basic element you thought you saw.
But, this is why you posted it, right? To learn and grow?

Too many times, our mind sees something and ignores everything around it but the camera sees everything and shows it all.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2013, 02:38:06 pm »

I think the previous poster has given some great insight into the photograph originally posted and the closing thought
Too many times, our mind sees something and ignores everything around it but the camera sees everything and shows it all.
...sums it up quite well
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 02:40:53 pm by brandtb »
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 10:16:23 pm »

Seriously, the whole image is a jumble of a mess of "Stuff" that has absolutely no focal point. There is nothing that draws your eye into the picture except for those orange leaves but  then, there is nowhere to go once you are on those leaves.

As for a spider web, as it is against the almost black of the trunk and it has no light  on it to make it stand out, the whole image fails if the tiny web was what you were trying to capture.
I am looking at this image on a LaCie 324 monitor so I know it isn't my monitor that is lacking.... the web is BARELY visible until I enlarge the image 3 times.

This is one of those times when  you needed to stop and STAY on the subject and EXPLORE it. Just taking a shot or two and thinking you "got it" usually means that you didn't get it. There is always a better image, a better view, a better story to tell if you only take the time to discover.

If you had moved a bit one way or the other, maybe the web you say is in there might have become more prominent and the crap in the background would go away.

There aren't any leading lines or anything except that you have too bright a background that is all messed up to the point that it detracts from anything else, limbs and trunks that don't go anywhere except out of the image. a tiny plant in the middle of the image with not enough backlighting to make it do anything but sit there and a spider web that doesn't show up.

All in all, this image fails on so many levels that you need to go try it again. Go LOOK for webs and take an hour or two and really shoot them. Keep minimizing the junk in the image till you have distilled it down to the basic element you thought you saw.
But, this is why you posted it, right? To learn and grow?

Just curious as to your expertise. I don't find the image a total failure nor your critique a total success. I didn't shoot it for the spider web, it was just a bit of bonus. I shot it strictly for the light.

bill proud

• http://www.billproudphotography.com
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2013, 11:27:35 am »

Hello,

I looked at this yesterday and wondered if anyone was going to give you the bad news. I fail to see anything remarkable about this image. I'm looking at it on a 17" iMac so I don't think it is my monitor, regardless that, no monitor will help this.

Here is my website if you care to check my expertise.

www.billproudphotography.com

framah

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2013, 05:07:33 pm »

...and you can have a look thru my business website:

http://fahringersframinggallery.com/index.html

framah

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2013, 05:11:14 pm »

Dam you, Bill!!! You made it to The WAVE???!!!   ;D

I'm soooo envious!! ...and now too old and broken down to walk  that hike.  Nice stuff you got there.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 05:14:47 pm by framah »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up