Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading to large format for architectural  (Read 6737 times)

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
Re: Upgrading to large format for architectural
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2013, 01:21:41 pm »

I'm really not into stitching... my post-production workflow is already almost always backed up.  I have to wonder though on shifting versus nodal...  wouldn't the interpolation required to straighten and align the various images outweigh the benefit of using the center of the lens?

Lorenzo Pierucci

• Work hard & be nice to people
    • Lorenzo Pierucci Studio
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2013, 01:24:27 pm »

wouldn't the interpolation required to straighten and align the various images outweigh the benefit of using the center of the lens?

+1
Work hard & be nice to people

torger

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2013, 01:29:01 pm »

Spherical stitching is very powerful, a good stitching head and tune it well for the nodal point and you get great results. I've have one myself for my DSLR. Nowadays I would only use it if my Schneider Digitar 35mm on the Techno would not be wide enough for a shot.

To me it's not really about quality but about workflow, I like to capture the scene in one shot. But if you'd want the highest possible quality at a budget, spherical stitching is clearly unbeatable. Post-processing work can be quite much more though as you need to manage many files, but if you're very structured in the workflow and use the fastest software it can be quite smooth.

I've also tried a 4x5 camera with wides. I'd say that focusing is not the main problem if you use some tricks (pre-focus at a fixed distance, have a strong flashlight in dark environments, using a very strong loupe etc), however parallelism can be an issue, ie it's quite likely that the front or back standard is put out of alignment so you get a fuzzy side. Most will certainly want to shoot tethered when using a view camera, due to ground glass darkness with wides in indoor environments. If you can shoot tethered it can be done say with a Sinar X in good condition and super-recessed boards, but it won't be that smooth. Compared to stitching it could be argued that it still would be smoother as you get less files to work with in post-processing.

torger

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2013, 01:38:06 pm »

I'm really not into stitching... my post-production workflow is already almost always backed up.  I have to wonder though on shifting versus nodal...  wouldn't the interpolation required to straighten and align the various images outweigh the benefit of using the center of the lens?

You can battle that with using a longer focal length and stitch more frames... but then you get even more files to deal with in post-processing.

You can configure the stitching programs how you want to stretch, if you output fewer megapixels you can make sure that's there's no enlarging of pixels, only making them smaller. But then you get fewer megapixels, so you need more in the input, ie more frames.

The main drawbacks of stitching I'd say is 1) many files to deal with more data and more post-processing, 2) scene movement can be messy to handle.

If lots of professionals actually worked with stitching I think the workflows could be a lot smoother then they are today, imagine motorized heads with realtime tethered stitching and a new virtual raw readily stitched so you get only one file to deal with, but I don't think stitching is fully there yet.

You might also want to use HDR techniques on top and then you get even more frames to merge.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 01:42:08 pm by torger »

Lorenzo Pierucci

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2013, 01:45:00 pm »

Most will certainly want to shoot tethered when using a view camera, due to ground glass darkness with wides in indoor environments. If you can shoot tethered it can be done say with a Sinar X in good condition and super-recessed boards, but it won't be that smooth.

Tethered was my plan, especially for the focus ( btw the live view for Valeo is only available with a USB dongle that i just bought from a user of this forum… 3 days and i love this forum so much  ;D )

Thanks torger this was also really useful !

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2013, 04:18:04 pm »

I'm really not into stitching... my post-production workflow is already almost always backed up.  I have to wonder though on shifting versus nodal...  wouldn't the interpolation required to straighten and align the various images outweigh the benefit of using the center of the lens?

As always, there are trade-offs:

Flat-stitching with a lens that has a weak outer image circle, you end up with softness/smearing/falloff in the outer image.

Rotation-stitching w/ too wide of a lens, you get perspective stretching of the grain/texture/detail of each frame, giving weird results between frames.  If you overlap more, you do more work.

Rotation stitch with a longer lens, you eliminate the perspective stretching between frames and interpolation losses, but have a longer shooting process.

If you use a large sensor and an amazing lens, you get the shot in one, but spend a ton of money.

Lorenzo Pierucci

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2013, 08:37:55 pm »

If you use a large sensor and an amazing lens, you get the shot in one, but spend a ton of money.

This pretty sum all...

Lorenzo Pierucci

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2013, 05:16:21 am »

I just back from a shooting in the Taipei 101, lot of glass tons of reflections: ergo a lot of different exposures merged, flagging different reflections and killing lights. This is a case where the stitching will definitely be a problem.

This push me more on the 4x5 camera plus 40 something - 20 something lens…
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up