Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One's Media Pro  (Read 61142 times)

syncrasy

Re: Phase One's Media Pro
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 09:54:17 am »

Pete -
You might want to try Expression Media if you can get your hands on a copy (PM me if you can't) --

You can get a trial copy from Phase One's Microsoft Expression Media Archive page. Not sure of the purchase price, but it's worth trying out. It displays my D300 NEFs on Snow Leopard so it might display D700 files too. (I don't remember the Nikon release timeline.)

In my experience, EM is actually an improvement over iView (a little more stable, bigger Light Table), so I intend to stay with it as long as I can on my Mac (as long as the catalog size limitations aren't an issue for me). EM even works (with some limitations) on Mavericks.
-- Mark

GoodThing Factory

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2014, 09:41:04 am »

I'm glad to see it's not only me ... I made the even worse mistake of not really testing MP during the trial and then forking over $200 for the lic to find out what most here already know ... MP is buggy as hell.  When I contacted P1 and asked for a refund they were pretty snotty about it and basically said, "tough luck,  but dont worry we're coming out w an update very soon" ... that was in January  ... no update as far as I can tell. So ... two questions:

Is there a way to import LR5 Catalogs in MP? ... there are some MP features whick look pretty good if I can get it to work:) Like most of you, I'm sure, I've got 10s of thousands of images ...  many labeled, flagged and rated in LR and have no interest in starting over.

Assuming no way to import (w/ data) ... Any media management tools running on Mavericks folks recommend which are more robust than LR?

Thanks!

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2014, 09:48:17 am »

I'm glad to see it's not only me ... I made the even worse mistake of not really testing MP during the trial and then forking over $200 for the lic to find out what most here already know ... MP is buggy as hell.  When I contacted P1 and asked for a refund they were pretty snotty about it and basically said, "tough luck,  but dont worry we're coming out w an update very soon" ... that was in January  ... no update as far as I can tell. So ... two questions:

Is there a way to import LR5 Catalogs in MP? ... there are some MP features whick look pretty good if I can get it to work:) Like most of you, I'm sure, I've got 10s of thousands of images ...  many labeled, flagged and rated in LR and have no interest in starting over.

Assuming no way to import (w/ data) ... Any media management tools running on Mavericks folks recommend which are more robust than LR?

Thanks!

I'm toying with Photo Supreme and its OK. It works with Mavericks.
It gets better with every update and updates come fairly regular.
That being said, I always end up going back to Lightroom.

digizen

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2014, 11:57:05 am »

I have been a user of iView Media Pro since its first version and still use it on a Mac Pro with OS 10.6.8. 10.7 is also OK but I have heard a report that the latest OS may not run it - not really confirmed yet.
The only raw files I have had a problem with iView reading so far are Panasonic. I've never had any difficulty with any Nikon files, including the D700, so not sure what might be going on there. I am running iView version 3.1.1

When Microsoft bought iView I thought I would have to go there to keep current so upgraded to it, opened it once and after the shock of that crime of an interface, never used it again. Then Phase One got it and offered another deal to upgrade and a friendlier interface, so I took that too, but gave up after realizing how painfully slow it was, and how unsharp its rendering of images was. I do use it on occasion when I need to catalogue Panasonic raw files.

syncrasy

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2014, 12:54:26 pm »

When Microsoft bought iView I thought I would have to go there to keep current so upgraded to it, opened it once and after the shock of that crime of an interface, never used it again. Then Phase One got it and offered another deal to upgrade and a friendlier interface, so I took that too, but gave up after realizing how painfully slow it was, and how unsharp its rendering of images was. I do use it on occasion when I need to catalogue Panasonic raw files.

I don't remember Microsoft changing the interface very much except for minor changes to the icons across the top. What interface "crimes" are you talking about?

To my eye, Phase One really mucked up the interface's usability by going all black on the left (information) side.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 01:29:14 pm by syncrasy »
-- Mark

digizen

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2014, 01:35:02 pm »

I guess it's a matter of taste, but I thought the clear and practical iView interface was made less useful by Microsoft's - to my eye - crude reworking of it.

You are right that Phase One's interface is also very unfriendly - it LOOKS good, but the spindly gray font reversed on black is almost illegible.

The rendering time for images is sluggish. Large files do indeed appear sharp, but for some reason jpegs are rendered soft, and exported email size images are likewise. However, after reading an earlier post, I just reset the preferences to Apple rendering engine which seems to improve the performance and yield a sharp image on screen.

syncrasy

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2014, 01:55:49 pm »

I guess it's a matter of taste, but I thought the clear and practical iView interface was made less useful by Microsoft's - to my eye - crude reworking of it.

You are right that Phase One's interface is also very unfriendly - it LOOKS good, but the spindly gray font reversed on black is almost illegible.

The rendering time for images is sluggish. Large files do indeed appear sharp, but for some reason jpegs are rendered soft, and exported email size images are likewise. However, after reading an earlier post, I just reset the preferences to Apple rendering engine which seems to improve the performance and yield a sharp image on screen.

Yes, iView 3 was the best-looking incarnation. They really created a "best-in-class" application. Great attention to detail, incredibly usable. I upgraded to Expression Media for the larger lightbox (6 images) and, believe it or not, greater stability (for me at least). I don't mind the minor interface changes. To me the real "crime" is Phase One's apparent lack of interest in Media Pro (in addition to their horrid interface changes); the last two minor updates were a year apart. They say they haven't abandoned it, but they acknowledged to me over the phone that their developers are focused on Capture One, not Media Pro.

For what it's worth, I plan to use Expression Media until I'm forced to find another program. It appears to work on Mavericks with only a couple glitches. I would suggest you re-consider Expression Media if iView 3 won't run on your Mac. I think Microsoft's interface changes are too trivial to cause a person to refuse to use the software. iView's excellent functionality and usability are still intact.

I haven't heard whether EM works on Yosemite. That could spell my downfall.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 07:12:37 pm by syncrasy »
-- Mark

Streetshooter

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2014, 05:49:31 am »

Mark,

What are the glitches you mentioned on Mavericks ?  I ended up buying Expression Media 2 and it is working fine with all my cameras and appears to do everything that iView Media Pro 3 did. I do agree though I thought the older iView look was more pleasing to my eye.

In my opinion nothing has bettered the original iVew version. The newer Phase One Media Pro is just a joke and not worth using for the aggravation it causes.

Pete

syncrasy

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2014, 11:31:06 am »

What are the glitches you mentioned on Mavericks ?

Pete,

The two glitches I've noticed are:

• Loud "bonk" noise upon first launching the app. It sounds like a warning sound, as if you've done something wrong. I assume it's due to some underlying minor incompatibility with Mavericks, even though the app appears to run okay after launch.
  • Lack of green color on auto-update folders. You'll have to double check whether or not you set a folder to auto update if you don't remember.

I haven't actually made a complete transition to Mavericks -- only tested it on a partition. I'm still running EM2 on my Snow Leopard partition. But I just got a new Nikon D7100, whose NEFs Snow Leopard doesn't recognize, so I'll have to move to Mavericks soon. (I had to install a trial version of Apple Aperture on the Mavericks partition so I could get the latest Apple Digital Camera RAW Compatibility update that will read D7100 NEFs.)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 11:38:01 am by syncrasy »
-- Mark

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2014, 02:04:38 am »

I have used PhotoSupreme aka IDIMager. Its actually very good, but more complex than ACDSEE. The problem with ACDSee is that it doesn't see IQ files! But does see everything else, can be catalogued, or just browser. It has crashed and they always have an upgrade version to buy to remedy the crashes each year! Otherwise very good. The non-develop version is rather priced well and maybe your answer.
I just wish the interface could have custom colors as I get it confused with LR or others with dark/black GUInterface.

I was very resistant to LR, and it still has issues,(no PDF, PNG). It also is sluggish. Its dual screen support is limited. The interface and tools are not modular....
but I must say with about  150K images in each catalog, it is still usable, yet sometimes clunky. I wish the sliders bars were easier to grad(I know the other options).

I swap around depending on my need..between ACDSee, LR, or Windows Explorer(which has been rather nice since Windows7)
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Jens_Langen

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2015, 12:47:00 pm »

A little late to the party here, but I'm using Media Pro as a stand alone application- version 1.2.0.
It works great for cataloguing. I just drag my images into it and name them according to client. Super fast and very solid.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up