Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colorburst X-Proof Plus RIP: Using 3800 Environments for 3800?  (Read 1064 times)

nkpoulsen

Colorburst X-Proof Plus RIP: Using 3800 Environments for 3800?
« on: December 20, 2013, 11:20:09 pm »

I've had a copy of the Colorburst X-Proof Plus RIP for quite a while and am finally beginning to use it.  I've owned and used their Windows Pro RIP, so I'm not a complete novice.  (Close, though.) 

I noticed that, before replacing this RIP with Overdrive, Colorburst provided environments for many papers from many different manufacturers for the 3800.  However, for the 3880, they provided environments only for the Epson papers.  I own the 3880 version of the RIP.

Versus going through the whole linearization, ink limit, curve adjustment process for a given paper, would it make sense to use the 3800 environment for that paper, and then construct a CMYK profile from a target printed with this 3800 environment on a 3880?  As I understand it, the only difference between the two sets of inks for these printers (3800 & 3880), is the vivid magenta. 

For example, I'm particularly interested in the Fine Art Baryta paper from Hahnemuhle.

tastar

• http://www.tastarsupply.com
Re: Colorburst X-Proof Plus RIP: Using 3800 Environments for 3800?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 09:13:24 am »

If you relinearize the Hahnemuhle profile and it's within range of the base linearization, then you're good to use that profile. If the linearization isn't within an acceptable range, then you should start over, but I would guess that using the starting values provided by the 3800 profile would be fine.

Another choice would be to use the 3800 profile - we have a test print that we use to evaluate the effectiveness of our profiling. If you don't have a specific test print that you use, print something that you're familiar with and use that to judge whether the profile is good enough to use.

Tony

nkpoulsen

Re: Colorburst X-Proof Plus RIP: Using 3800 Environments for 3800?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 03:46:22 pm »

That makes sense.  I could graph the results for the four colors and see, color by color, how the graphs compare.  Then, make a judgement call.

Thanks for your suggestion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up