Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: anyone disappoointed with their M240  (Read 3561 times)

allegretto

anyone disappoointed with their M240
« on: December 20, 2013, 10:14:59 pm »

This is NOT a troll question. Allow me to explain

Abut 4-6 mo ago I ordered one with some glass (28mm f-2.0 and 50mm -cron f2.0 non-apo). Always used this combo with my digital Leicas but last time thought I'd never be back and sold lenses, so had to replace. One can argue endlessly about which lenses to use with an M, but these are two I happen to like for the kind of shooting I do with an M and like he balance of the package vs. bigger glass

Virtually forgot all about it and went deep into a Canon/Zeiss sysem. Today my black M240 with those two lenses showed up... haven't opened the box. Afraid I'll just HAVE to keep it even though I really like my 6D and current lenses and am having fun. Sooooo, gotta ask if anyone has been underwhelmed by their 240 and therefore help me just return the thing before I MUST OPEN... and play... Can I pre-load myself to just send it all back.

Guess I want to be my own Scrooge... Please, I'm not ego-tripping or looking for personal approval or rejection, just some impressions. I know htey are "two different systems"... etc...

Thanks in advance...

Gary Mulcahey

Re: anyone disappoointed with their M240
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 11:41:27 pm »

If you are looking for negative comments on the M just do a web search you will find them. But you can find negative comments about anything ever made by anyone if you search the web.
Leica is not a camera you need. It is a camera you want. If you want it, keep it.
I bought an MM because I wanted it. I only get this one life as far as I know. When I can I try to do some things I want. It is a treat to myself. Open the box and enjoy. You know you want to. :)

G

allegretto

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 04:56:30 am »

If you are looking for negative comments on the M just do a web search you will find them. But you can find negative comments about anything ever made by anyone if you search the web.
Leica is not a camera you need. It is a camera you want. If you want it, keep it.
I bought an MM because I wanted it. I only get this one life as far as I know. When I can I try to do some things I want. It is a treat to myself. Open the box and enjoy. You know you want to. :)

G

Twin brothers from different mothers… thanks Gary… you know me, huh? It's not a dress rehearsal, is it?

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 01:01:28 pm »

If you really need to ask the question then send it back.

That sounds like very sound advice! But, if you can order with two lenses and then apparently forget about it, wow! Just keep it! I would if I could.

;-)

Rob C

allegretto

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 03:34:27 pm »

Oh, it's more complex than that of course, but the Leica is a limited system that I've never used for all my needs, even back in the 70's and 80's

As I've slowed down the career and now retired, I started with Nikon, but could never get real happy with the color, especially for skin tones. Went Canon/Zeiss and like it better

Had M8 & 9 but never really fell in love either system. M240 is supposed to change all that so I said, "what the Heck". No bad habits or mistresses so I can scrape it together. And we all know that new Leica goes well on eBay (some old Leica too!) if I give up on it, it's cheap rental if kept nice.

Hoping for some Sun here is Chicago so I can really take it out and see how it does vs. the 6D and good glass. We shall see

Won't bore you too much

Thanks folks

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 04:46:10 pm »

Oh, it's more complex than that of course, but the Leica is a limited system that I've never used for all my needs, even back in the 70's and 80's

As I've slowed down the career and now retired, I started with Nikon, but could never get real happy with the color, especially for skin tones. Went Canon/Zeiss and like it better

Had M8 & 9 but never really fell in love either system. M240 is supposed to change all that so I said, "what the Heck". No bad habits or mistresses so I can scrape it together. And we all know that new Leica goes well on eBay (some old Leica too!) if I give up on it, it's cheap rental if kept nice.

Hoping for some Sun here is Chicago so I can really take it out and see how it does vs. the 6D and good glass. We shall see

Won't bore you too much

Thanks folks

I'm probably mistaken, but isn't the main difference between M9 and M240 the Live View thing?  Sensors' looks, in the end (if the same size of sensors are compared), probably end up as more a matter of how you process than sensor differences themselves. After all, photography or how a picture looks, comes down to the operator once he is left holding the file, doesn't it? As you can change almost everything via the processing, there isn't really any standard apart from 'out of the box' files left untouched.

Rob C

Christian Carlsen

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 11:08:46 pm »

Ive now used mine for 6 months and 16000 frames. I will sell my Nikon glass during the coming holidays. The 240 is a huge improvement over the M9.

allegretto

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 11:47:27 pm »

I'm probably mistaken, but isn't the main difference between M9 and M240 the Live View thing?  Sensors' looks, in the end (if the same size of sensors are compared), probably end up as more a matter of how you process than sensor differences themselves. After all, photography or how a picture looks, comes down to the operator once he is left holding the file, doesn't it? As you can change almost everything via the processing, there isn't really any standard apart from 'out of the box' files left untouched.

Rob C

actually Rob, the whole pathway including sensor, sensor type and supporting systems are quite a bit different.. or so I'm led to believe

In any case, I'm one of those, "let's see the images" kind of guy. DxO ad dP etc... are rarely of much use to me... especially when they go about trying to use one or two "metrics" to describe what I feel are often more nuanced deliberations

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 09:04:06 am »

Rob,

You can be wrong or right -
 but when it comes to conjecture, I can roll my own :)
 actually, apart from the voting thing, I'd say that absolute monarchy and constitutional monarchy are probably pretty much the same thing, but then what do I know, I'm not a lawyer :)

Edmund

I'm probably mistaken, but isn't the main difference between M9 and M240 the Live View thing?  Sensors' looks, in the end (if the same size of sensors are compared), probably end up as more a matter of how you process than sensor differences themselves. After all, photography or how a picture looks, comes down to the operator once he is left holding the file, doesn't it? As you can change almost everything via the processing, there isn't really any standard apart from 'out of the box' files left untouched.

Rob C
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

AlfSollund

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 12:12:20 pm »

I am not disappointed with my M. Had it since May 2013. Haven't experienced any of the negative points mentioned in any fora. I went from a D700 to RD-1, then M9 and now M. In terms of pure IQ the M is only a tad better than M9, but you have more dynamics and a little higher ISO to play with in RAW files. Also the LV is great for UWs, and the new M is much better for tripod work since the base now is stable.

I still consider Canikon DLSR as better all-round tools, but the Ms gives tons more photo-pleasure for me. Remember; life is short and then you die, so why not enjoy the M (or replace wit brand X) if photo is essential for you?

Best of luck!
-------
- If your're not telling a story with photo you're only adding noise -
http://alfsollund.com/

CafeAmericain

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 01:32:30 am »

Ok, here's the deal.  The M is a camera you want to use, not have to use.  The M is a camera that is possibly the worst camera for almost every shooting situation, but you want to use it.  The M isn't anything you can reasonably defend or explain, but you always walk out of the house with it.  The M is like the woman you can't explain to anyone, but it seems right when her hand is in yours.  Marrying the right woman will probably be the single most important choice in your life that will bring you the most happiness... followed by the choice of a camera that YOU want.  When it all comes together you can forget about everything and just create art.  Open the box.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 10:46:14 am »

Ok, here's the deal.  The M is a camera you want to use, not have to use.  The M is a camera that is possibly the worst camera for almost every shooting situation, but you want to use it.  The M isn't anything you can reasonably defend or explain, but you always walk out of the house with it.  The M is like the woman you can't explain to anyone, but it seems right when her hand is in yours.  Marrying the right woman will probably be the single most important choice in your life that will bring you the most happiness... followed by the choice of a camera that YOU want.  When it all comes together you can forget about everything and just create art.  Open the box.

Damn wise words !!
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

allegretto

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 11:23:55 am »

That's one hell of a good analogy... thanks

It's been out of the box for a day now anyway...
Pages: [1]   Go Up