Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The New Era of Prosperity  (Read 6912 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
The New Era of Prosperity
« on: December 20, 2013, 08:52:46 pm »

Just heard on the news that the US economic recovery has been much stronger than expected in the third quarter. Naturally, such a good news is also a good reason for celebration, so I decided to throw a party and went to replenish my groceries. This is what I found instead: after 40 years of serving our local community, a venerable supermarket chain is closing the shop. Some recovery. More like Soviet supermarkets.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: The New Era of Prosperity
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 11:07:32 pm »

Providing food for people to eat is low priority in this wonderful new world. Pushing more money to the .01% is where the action is.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 04:42:50 am »

Providing food for people to eat is low priority in this wonderful new world. Pushing more money to the .01% is where the action is.

Does Apple do an App for joining that 0.01%?

I'm sure my new Windows 8 has a similar one included, but as I hardly know how to start it, will take a while to get round to the exotica within!

However, the closed supermarket is obviously closed because it gave way to the smaller corner shops -  wonderful Christmas display of charitable thinking...

This blasted thing is still underlining everything in red wavey lines as I write in the little LuLa box.

;-)

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 03:23:12 pm »

... This blasted thing is still underlining everything in red wavey lines as I write in the little LuLa box.

That sounds like you are misspelling every word you write? Since that is highly unlikely in your case, my next assumption would be that your comp thinks you are. One reason for that might be that you have selected Spanish as your primary language somewhere in the initial setup, yet typing English words now?

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 05:01:36 pm »

That sounds like you are misspelling every word you write? Since that is highly unlikely in your case, my next assumption would be that your comp thinks you are. One reason for that might be that you have selected Spanish as your primary language somewhere in the initial setup, yet typing English words now?

Okay, let's try again. Nope, using the old computer gives no red line problems so far, but let me try to type (Windows 8) and see what happens.

No good: on clicking in the Preview box, the message changes to showing the word Windows with a smiley alongside it, no sign of the figure eight nor of the close bracket.

I shall post this and try with the new machine. Unfortunately, that means I have to change the 'phone lead into it first.

Rob C

P.S. Trying this on the Windows 8; still brings red lines; let's try the bracket test: (Windows 8). It still comes up with the bloody smile!

P.P.S. Trying again with English added, as per Slobodan's idea. Oh shit, back to Spanish because I now lose all the normal functions of brackets, colons etc. SCREEEEEEAM!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 05:20:35 pm by Rob C »

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 05:17:27 pm »

Just heard on the news that the US economic recovery has been much stronger than expected in the third quarter. Naturally, such a good news is also a good reason for celebration, so I decided to throw a party and went to replenish my groceries. This is what I found instead: after 40 years of serving our local community, a venerable supermarket chain is closing the shop. Some recovery. More like Soviet supermarkets.

J.o.b.s.

The "news" exists to present a falsity as a reflection.   The "US economy" is, in fact, doing OK.  The US people, otoh, are being processed and conveyored overboard like chum.  Now that corporations are people ("my friend"), people are waste.

15 years ago I saw photos of everyday life "behind the scenes" in Soviet hospitals  Similar to your grocery store, but with decay and the clear cost of deprivation.  The US is catching up.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 05:20:07 pm »

No sweat, Kirby. The administration is working on it. Won't be long before what you're seeing now will look like the good old days.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 05:21:14 pm »

Not just your comp... everyone's will do the same when you type 8) However, if you type 8 ), that is, "eight-space-right bracket" it will show up as intended.

Can you post a screen shot of your red line problem?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 05:34:12 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 05:27:54 pm »

... P.P.S. Trying again with English added, as per Slobodan's idea. Oh shit, back to Spanish because I now lose all the normal functions of brackets, colons etc. SCREEEEEEAM!

That would be a two-step change: 1. change language 2. change the keyboard to match the language

P.S. Electronic keyboard, not the hardware one

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 05:35:03 pm »

Not just your comp... everyone's will do the same when you type 8) However, if you type 8 ), that is, "eight-space-right bracket" it will show up as intended.

Can you post a screen shot of your red line problem?

That's news to me! Never come across it before.

The red line only comes up using Windows 8 and not here, on the old Vista I have just swapped the telephone line back to.

The only screen grabs I knew how to do were via this route:

1. click on subject;
2. click Imp. Pant. button (IMPrimir PANTalla - which means print screen);
3. open Photoshop;
4. File>New>OK>Edit>Paste>Crop
5. File>Save
6. conver to jpeg for E-mailing.

Never known the route without using Photoshop. I told you computers kill me. Perhaps now you might believe what I've written here before: were I even thinking of starting in photography today, I don't think the pixel path would have ever, ever grabbed my imagination, certainly never as career. I might just have turned to scribbling instead.

;-(

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 05:35:23 pm »

... The "US economy" is, in fact, doing OK.  The US people, otoh, are being processed and conveyored overboard like chum.  Now that corporations are people ("my friend"), people are waste...

Nicely put. Sad, though.

wmchauncey

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 06:45:26 pm »

The US is catching up.
Oh so right...at the current rate of improvement, we're going to have more people without health care than at the end of the last administration.       :o
The things you do for yourself die with

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 07:52:16 pm »

Okay, let's try again. Nope, using the old computer gives no red line problems so far, but let me try to type (Windows 8) and see what happens.

No good: on clicking in the Preview box, the message changes to showing the word Windows with a smiley alongside it, no sign of the figure eight nor of the close bracket.

I shall post this and try with the new machine. Unfortunately, that means I have to change the 'phone lead into it first.

Rob C

P.S. Trying this on the Windows 8; still brings red lines; let's try the bracket test: (Windows 8). It still comes up with the bloody smile!

P.P.S. Trying again with English added, as per Slobodan's idea. Oh shit, back to Spanish because I now lose all the normal functions of brackets, colons etc. SCREEEEEEAM!
Think of it this way, Rob. You have inadvertently unearthed Microsoft's True Name for their new operating system. You thought it was (Windows 8 ) when in reality it's name is (Windows   8) ). But actually, the name really should be (Windows  ??? ) or even (Windows  :'( ) or (Windows  >:( ).

Good luck with the new beast.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 08:03:40 pm »

Oh so right...at the current rate of improvement, we're going to have more people without health care than at the end of the last administration.       :o

Cite?

Not sure if by "health care" you mean "health insurance" — they are, of course, different.

Here is an article and some data on number of Americans without health insurance.  The numbers continue to fall from the highs right around 2008.

(Added forgotten link.)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 04:28:07 am by KirbyKrieger »

wmchauncey

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 03:43:27 am »

Not sure if by "health care" you mean "health insurance"
You're indeed correct sir...may bad.      :-[

Rocco Penny

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 06:16:36 am »

middle of the night here offers sometimes insight-
Rob,
it is the windows default settings that are underlining everything.
Call windows, send in a technical question,
they'll help sort it out online.
You'll soon be unlocking secrets that I wouldn't understand.
I opted for windows 7 because people were bemoaning 8 already by the first few weeks of launch, right when I purchased my latest machine.
Unless I'm mistaken, Microsoft may even let you downgrade to windows 7.
Maybe a thought before you invest too much time in something most of us will never have to learn.
I'm waiting for 10.

bjanes

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 07:04:03 am »

Slobodan,

I presume you are referring to the closure of Dominicks in Chicago. That closing has more to do with the store's business model than the economy. As explained here, Dominicks was a middle of the road grocery that was being squeezed both from the low and high ends.

To get ready for her Christmas meal planning, my wife went to a nearby Mariano's (a higher end store) and was confronted with a mob scene. Her experience at Sunset Foods (another local high end store) was similar. The economy is doing well for these shoppers.

Perhaps President Obama is correct when he states that the rich are getting richer and the poor are losing ground. Is this phenomenon also affecting the photographic market?

Regards,

Bill

Rob C

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 08:19:11 am »

That would be a two-step change: 1. change language 2. change the keyboard to match the language

P.S. Electronic keyboard, not the hardware one

Slobodan,

That's yet anther thing I didn't know anything about. This week, I seem to be in the season for such discoveries. I shall now try to find that and screw it up too. Maybe the best bet is to try and get shot of W8 altogether. It'll cost, but in the long run, if it saves my sanity a bit longer...

Any clues as to where I find electronic keyboards hidden?

Rob C

wmchauncey

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 08:57:16 am »

closure of Dominicks in Chicago
Aah Chicago...that paradigm of a fiscally properly run city which IMHO ranks right up there with the likes of Detroit.
I find it ironic that every city in those dire economic straits have been controlled by Democrats.        ;D

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2013, 12:27:26 pm »

Aah Chicago...that paradigm of a fiscally properly run city which IMHO ranks right up there with the likes of Detroit.
I find it ironic that every city in those dire economic straits have been controlled by Democrats.        ;D

Don't know much about the differences in American political parties - other than one thinks it's related to an elephant - but isn't the fate of largely industrial cities and their hinterlands tied up more or less completely to the changes in industry and its needs? If nobody wants your cars anymore, does it matter who runs City Hall? Same thing happened in Scotland and the Clyde... torn to bits because shipbuilding went out of demand, regardless of the various spins the different politicos put on that basic and underlying fact which no city or country has the power to reverse. Unless it agrees to devalue its wage structure and everyone does it for free, of course.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up