Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cold Press vs Heat Press  (Read 3371 times)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Cold Press vs Heat Press
« on: December 20, 2013, 07:33:26 pm »

I'm looking at a small roller system something like the Drytac ML5 (manual crank) or JetMounter 26 (electric - also by Drytac) to mount and laminate small prints.  Doesn't seem as popular as the heat presses from what I've read.  Any particular reason?
Mike Guilbault

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: Cold Press vs Heat Press
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 10:16:39 pm »

A hot roll machine is more versatile but much more costly.
A cold roller works for pretty much everything except canvas over laminating which requires 195 degree heat.
I use my hot roll machine for Seals Print Guard Luster over canvas.
The cold roll machines are fine for board mounting,face mounting to plexi and print laminating.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 10:24:07 pm by Dan Berg »

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 10:23:23 pm »

I'm basically looking to mount lustre type prints to foam core or masonite and then laminating.  Up to 24x36.  Canvases I roll and stretch so no worries there. I think I'm trying to decide now between the manual and the electric.  At $700 difference, it's worth considering since I don't do volume. 
Mike Guilbault

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 10:29:05 pm »

Mike,
Electric with pedal gives you that extra hand which can come in very handy when laminating.
Most but not all of smaller jobs are done without webbing the laminator so you are always holding something with both hands.
If you can have a infield and outfield table on the same level as your roller it makes it so much easier.

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 03:08:03 pm »

Good point.... but geesh... $700!  :-\  Guess I'll have to wait to see what Santa provides.

IF I was to go with the manual one, has anyone had any experience with the Drytac ML25?  A friend of mine has an older model, different brand and as far as I can tell, the only difference is that his has a much larger nip depth while the ML25 is only 3/8".  That being said, I don't think I've ever had anything mounted thicker than 3/8" anyway.  But his was over $3000 new (quite a few years ago now). Does the extra depth cost that much more?
Mike Guilbault

Garnick

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 03:39:05 pm »

Hi Mike,

I've used the pressure sensitive adhesive and laminates since approximately 1984.  It was then that I switched from heat to a non-heat roller mount/laminating machine sold by Interlam.  It was the crank style and very well made, so no problem.  Having two hands free does have some advantages, but it wasn't enough of an issue for me to pop for the extra $$$ at that point.  About 10 years ago(I'm guessing) Interlam shut down their operation in the Toronto area and one of the guys there called to let me know that they had a quantity of adhesives and lams to sell, if I was interested.  The price was right so I took advantage of the offer.  They also had a 25" motorized(foot pedal) operated machine almost identical to the one I had been using for many years.  It was still in the crate and the regular selling price was $3500.  I got it for $1200 and have been very happy with it, no problem at all.  Again, a very well constructed German made machine.  I still have the old crank model in case the motor gives up on this one, but it's a real workhorse.  I can mount on up to about a 2" substrate, although I've never had any call for that.  If you're going to be mounting on Gator Foam that's not a problem, but laminating does require a bit more pressure, so I'd be careful about that on regular Foam Core material.  Of course the standard mount boards and Masonite are no problem at all.  And, once you have pre-coated some boards with the adhesive it's a matter of minutes to do a rush mounting job.  Very convenient!  I'm sure you will like the cold mount/laminating system, but of course it's your choice whether to go motorized or not. 

One more thing to look for.  Make sure the machine has a take-up spool for the laminate release paper.  That can be a bit of a hassle with a crank machine, but nothing that can't be conquered with a bit of practice.

Gary           
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)
Pages: [1]   Go Up