Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Breathing Color Vibrance Baryta ‘First’ Claim  (Read 12209 times)

shadowblade

Re: Breathing Color Vibrance Baryta ‘First’ Claim
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2014, 08:53:42 am »

Does the roll paper exhibit reverse curl too?

John Caldwell

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2014, 09:22:42 am »

Yes, this is what Ken first discussed, and Paul later explained took his head out.

John Caldwell

Red River San Gabriel
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2014, 11:10:41 am »

I did buy some of the Red River San Gabriel. I don't care for it and won't buy it again. In my mind, it continues the Red River theme of lower cost materials, but at the cost of clearly lower quality goods. To be fair, it is cheaper than Canson Baryta Photographique, but not enough to justify my using it.

It's a 300 weight material, but feels lighter and flimsier than the weight number would predict. The surface is light pebbled, which I don't mind, but the sheets emerge from my 4900 with faint surface scratches (in the direction of the paper path) that annoy, and which I do not see on Canson Platine and Baryta (my go-to's). The RR canned profile seems quite inaccurate for soft-proofing, as it predicts a very, very warm and saturated image on my system. The paper reacts to reds, on my system, in a funny way in that they are disproportionately represented. By this I mean a facial portrait with rosy cheeks looks mildly clownish. Again, to be fair, I'm sure a well made custom profile would level that out. The white point of the paper is in line with the Canson Baryta white point, which is decent considering the RR's non-OBA claim.

I could see San Gabriel being useful for a project when saving 15% on media costs really makes a difference. That doesn't describe my world, so I'll recuse myself from opining further, as I guess I'm not the target audience for the product.

John Caldwell
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 11:17:18 am by John Caldwell »

snowrs

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2014, 03:38:29 pm »

I gave this paper a try, but was disappointed to see a lot of gloss differential and bronzing when printed on the R3000.  The paper doesn't pass the 'feel in hand' test for me either.  Too bad.

bob snow

Some Guy

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2014, 10:57:40 am »

SG, Are you discussing Breathing Color Silverada canvas or the Vibrance Baryta?

Thanks,

John Caldwell

Little late to spot this but yes, I was speaking of the BC Silverada.

Their papers may be too heavy and stiff as they seem to exhibit a really pronounced edge curl (reverse curl?).  I've had it get knocked sideways by the printhead no matter how well the D-roller de-curled it (both directions). Just bad stuff for the curl and this was a narrow 17 inch roll.  Lots of ink bleeding too and a run of colors into adjoining spaces, maybe the harder surface responsible there too.

Maybe if their stuff was bought in boxed (flat) sheets it might help some, but the roll I have is really bad for curing up on the sides no matter what.

SG

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2014, 11:18:28 am »

Trust me with Breathing Color's current formulation of Vibrance Rag roll paper,  it won't matter. You can take a brand new roll and cut off a price and leave in a table and within 20 to 30 minutes the edges will start to curl up. I don't think it has anything to do with humidity either as my problem happened last November.

The old Vib rag did not do this and was an excellent and very durable paper albeit it had a pretty pronounced pebbling on the surface.  Still was a great paper

Breathing Color continues to make only 40 foot rolls with paper last time I checked. Something I never understood when the industry standard is 50 feet. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

John Caldwell

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2014, 12:23:23 pm »

Like Paul says the very heavy BC Baryta, even in cut sheets, is showing marked (reverse) curl. I believe it endangers the safety of your printer, and Paul could amplify on this point I believe. I returned all the cut sheets of BC Baryta I bought, and am waiting for the reformulated version of the paper that's been promised.

The Vibrance Rag was a very nice paper and it handled well. But it was very, very expensive and I think it did contain OBA. I believed the (only) reason it was discontinued was that it didn't sell because of price.

I personally have no objection to the new surface, wrt to texture and the way it receives ink. If BC can preserve those characteristics, and come up with a "printable" material, I'll give it a try.

John Caldwell
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up