Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Frozen waterfalls on a cloudy day how to photograph  (Read 2221 times)

grilla

• http://thecolorblindphotographer.net
Frozen waterfalls on a cloudy day how to photograph
« on: December 20, 2013, 12:20:25 pm »

I am headed to the Columbia Gorge this morning to photograph frozen waterfalls. In the past my results have been less than stellar and this is my second attempt.  Please tell me how you would setup the camera, iso, shutter speeds, aperture, etc. Any tips are greatly appreciated. There is no chance of any sun btw it is a snowy day.

Gary in Portland

sdwilsonsct

Re: Frozen waterfalls on a cloudy day how to photograph
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 02:56:32 pm »

My technique is simply to check the histogram, leave everything on auto, and concentrate on finding compositions. Low ISOs may reduce noise in the snow, so take a tripod.

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 08:12:29 am »

I think that for the frozen waterfalls is more important the selective use of the curves in the post production.

stamper

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 04:06:31 am »

Spot meter for the lighter part of the water and add 2 stops of EV. The snow might be brighter than the water so do the same for the snow. Bracketing is important. Decide which is the most important exposure wise, the snow or the waterfall. I suspect the waterfall. Take plenty of exposures and decide afterwards what are the best images and blend exposures together in PS - if you use it - and you should be OK.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 09:52:00 am »

I know it's a little late for your trip, but this might be helpful for others. As I am in the Great White North, I shoot a lot of snow. The best advice is as was said by sdwilsonsct - check the histogram. However, in doing so, keep you values as high as possible without blowing out highlights. As Michael Reichman has so often put, ETTR - expose to the right. I know this technique has been poo-pooed as of late, but it does work, especially in snow scenes.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up