Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: DIY Calibration Charts  (Read 8811 times)

Tim Lookingbill

Re: DIY Calibration Charts
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2013, 01:04:36 pm »

Hello and thanks for all the interesting responses!
I think this thread is going a bit off topic... ;D

Going back to the original DIY charts...
I see the main point that many of you raised is that, simply printing a chart wouldn't be enough for an accurate profile and I see the reasons for it.
After a bit of thinking I came up with this idea (that obviously is not entirely mine): why not to use more, completely different, charts to create just one profile?
Argyll enables you to read various chart and combine all the data in a profile, therefore why not to use (just to make an example but please let me know your suggestions):
- Chart 1: IT8
- Chart 2: ColorChecker
- Chart 3: DIY Printed Chart (up to you what colors to use here but I would use the "cardinal point" of the LAB and then make gradation)
- Chart 4: DIY Acrylic Color Chart (what do you suggest to use as color?)
- Chart 5: DIY Filter Color Chart (create a frame with many pieces of various filter, ex Lee Filter Swatch Book, and then retroilluminate everything)
- Chart 6: A detailed greyscale + light trap + super bright reflective material for white.

I know it might be a super long process but I think in this way you could cover many more colors than a normal commercial chart...
Looking forward to hear your suggestion!

Thanks a lot!

Ale

Sounds like a good idea, Ale. Give it try and see what happens and report back.

I mean from your response you seem to be knowledgable enough to detect or sense that laborious process would yield better results, so I'm a bit curious to know what gives you that idea.

With regards to perception of accurate reproduction of color this page on color perception might present some concerns...

http://colorindesign.net/2010/10/12/the-changing-nature-of-color/

Keep in mind that even though perception of color will change, a machine (spectrophotometer) will still define it as the same. IOW you may be working to hard on this due to these perception issues.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 01:16:40 pm by Tim Lookingbill »

Alessandro_V

Re: DIY Calibration Charts
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2013, 01:08:09 pm »

Hello everybody...

I am going forward and so I am preparing all the various chart that I need to experiment this process.
I am done with the layout in photoshop and I have prepared the *.cht files to make argyll able to recognize the charts when using "scanin".

Still I am facing some problems and so I thought of dropping a line here to see if anybody could help me...
In order to run the command "scanin" and getting that *.ti3 file needed to create the ICC profile with the command "colprof" I need to have a *.cie file containing the L*a*b* values (to be acquired with the spectrophotometer).
In Argyll online documentation there are no specification about how this file should be formatted (I can guess it by looking at other charts *.cie files), is there anyplace online where I should look for this information?
Also, which command do you suggest to use (in Argyll) to create this *.cie file? As I guess I can't make it directly I thought of using "chartread" to create a *.ti3 file and then convert it to *.cie with "spec2cie". But in this case I would need a *.ti2 file and, once again, there are no specification about how to make this file...

Thanks a lot for your advices!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up