Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginner Q's: equipment for easy trek in Patagonia (Torres del Paine)?  (Read 2887 times)

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures

Hi.  I am going to be 6 days in (or around) Torres del Paine National Park in Chilean Patagonia early next month.  My experience is almost entirely in the studio, though I enjoy carrying a camera in cities and rural locations and making pictures.  My questions are all the result of my inexperience, and are (or seem) shallow and overly broad.  What should I take?  Is it worth carrying a tripod?  A monopod?

Here is how the week is shaping up.  I will not be camping, but will be staying in dormitory-like refugios.  I will be hiking as much as 8 hr. on some days.  Other days I will not relocate, but will take day hikes.  There is limited access to electricity.  I won't be carrying any more food and water than I will need for a day hike.

My primary photographic interest is the natural environment.

Cameras & lenses:
 - Sony a900 w. 70-400G.  I know this combination well, and have taken it regularly on multi-hour hikes on a Neo-Tec monopod.  The Sony has in-body stabilization.  I often record at 1/10 second, handheld, with crisp results.
 - Sony Zeiss 16-35/f2.8.  This lens rounds out my usual "small bag" kit. 
 - (Optional) I have other good a-mount lenses.  All of them are big and are heavy, except the 100/2.8 Macro (overlaps the 70-400G), and the 70-300 (overlaps and underperforms the 70-400G).
 - (Optional) Second Sony FF body.  Also big and heavy.
 - Sony RX1R.  This is the superb full-frame "compact" camera, with a fixed Carl Zeiss Sonnar 2,0/35 lens.  Focal length fits nicely between my two a-mount zooms, and has good low-light performance.  Provides something close to macro, as well.  (The 70-400 is actually excellent for large insects and flowers.)

Wide, tele, & normal in good light, and normal in low light, all covered.

Usually, with my monopod, I mount a Manfrotto pistol grip.  Using my left hand to position the camera, and the right to operate it, works very well for me.  The pistol grip is, like the rest of this FF equipment, large and heavy.

I have a three-section aluminum tripod I could take.  I use this in my studio with an Arca-Swiss d4 head (I am hesitant to take the head … ).  I also have a five-section aluminum monopod that I use when flying to location (the Neo-Tec, collapsed, is too long).
I have the large Kata 3-in-1 bag/backpack.  Works well for transport (I'll use it as my carry-on bag).  I have borrowed a Cotton Carrier chest-mount with hip mount.  I can walk with this on, The big zoom on my chest, the RX1R on my hip, and with the Kata on my back.

Suggestions?
 - Leave the a900 and the big lenses behind?  I thought about this, but dismissed it: my purpose is to gather images, not to hike.
 - Buy a smaller system?
 - Forget the tripod?  Carry a bean-bag?
 - Forget the equipment — buy other's photos  :'(

Budget: it's a rare and perhaps singular opportunity.  I am willing to spend some money to make the most of my time there.

Thanks.

sdwilsonsct

Re: Beginner Q's: equipment for easy trek in Patagonia (Torres del Paine)?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 09:53:01 pm »

Hi Kirby,
For landscapes I would definitely take a small, light tripod for dawn and dusk. I like my Gitzo traveller.

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 11:16:48 pm »

Hi Kirby,
For landscapes I would definitely take a small, light tripod for dawn and dusk. I like my Gitzo traveller.

Thanks Scott.  Seems a shame to go, and not go for dusk and dawn, and seems a shame to go for dusk and dawn and not have a tripod.  If the Gitzo Traveller converted to a monopod I'd buy it tonight.

Sweet photos on your site   :)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 02:52:21 am »

I just returned from the Chilean side of Patagonia three weeks ago at the conclusion of my Antarctica expedition. I spent a week in the park with two very good friends. During this time we drove the park extensively and also hiked quite a lot. Right off the bat you should be prepared for significant uphill hiking. If you intend to hike up to the amphitheatre at the towers as we did (a distance of around 20km return and a hike well worth doing to reach the base of the towers) be prepared for a steep sustained hike on the way up. The top part of the hike up the moraine is really quite steep and scrabbly. Although many people do this hike it is not a small under taking and you should allow a full day. Pack a head lamp if you intend to be there for dawn or dusk. I recommend dawn. If you intend to bivy up there pack plenty of warm clothing and a stove for a hot brew. The wind is fierce in Patagonia - as in notoriously fierce and we experienced a good dose of it during our time in the park. I would not want to be caught unaware or unprepared in Patagonia. It can be a brutal place.

You absolutely need a tripod if you intend to be there for good light. I also recommend graduated ND filters. The weight of your kit is important as you are going to be schlepping it around the park - so consider your lens and camera choice carefully - chose zooms for flexibility and go with a light system. I took a 1DX and that was too heavy for hiking and ended up borrowing my friends 2nd 5D MK3. At the amphitheatre you need WIDE. As in 17mm wide. Choose a camera bag suitable for hiking, not just short walks.

I strongly recommend you hire a car to move around the park - the distances are vast and there is much to see. There is a bus you can use but when doing photography you need to go at your own pace. There is a good campground if you intend to camp but I opted for Hosterias. These were expensive (outrageously so actually given the level of quality). The food was also pretty banal. But you go for the scenery  ;D

In the week we were there we had wind almost the entire time and unfortunately did not get great or dramatic light. We did not see any Puma during our visit - but we did stumble across a den of Patagonia Grey Fox cubs that we spent a few hours photographing.  This was a wonderful encounter. You can do a Puma tour there, but of course there are no guarantees. If you are into birds its also wonderful - lots of birds of prey.  There is a boat tour to the glacier face. If you have seen glaciers before then skip this tour and save the money (its really touristy). In terms of glaciers its nothing special. Hope all this helps! Have a super trip!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 02:54:32 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 07:20:03 am »

You're asking good questions, and this sounds like a great trip. I guess you answered my first question, which is, what is the primary purpose of this trip? Sounds like it's all about the photography, so you'll need to bring some gear.

I'd bring both SLR bodies and both zooms. That covers you from very wide to a decent telephoto. I would toss in a 50/1.4 or similar but that's more my style and may not be yours. The second body is a backup in case you have problems with the primary.

I'd bring a small, carbon fiber tripod like the MePhoto, which does convert to a monopod. The head has an Arca-Swiss compatible clamp. Of course it's not the ideal heavy camera support for an A900 with the long zoom, but it will support the weight and it's much easier to travel with. It should be fine with the short zoom for landscape during the hours of magic light at dawn and dusk.

All of this will need to go into a good backpack that will meet carry-on requirements for a small international plane (this is smaller than the domestic USA 22x14x9 standard.) The backpack is for carrying all this stuff on your hikes, so it should be something that can handle the load and be comfortable.

Of course I'd bring several spare batteries, a second charger, and a small laptop to download and check my photos. A pair of external USB powered drives for backup. And I would bring enough cards so I never had to reformat a card -- that gives me three different copies (card and two HDDs.) My basic rule is to bring two or three of everything, especially the small stuff -- think about being there with all that gear and no way to recharge batteries if your charger gets zapped by a power surge....

---------

All that said, this is why I bought my Fujifilm system :)  I just can't carry that much weight anymore.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 08:04:58 am »

{Snipped}Hope all this helps! Have a super trip!

More than you might know!  Thank you very much for taking the time and providing so much "actionable" information.  I did not know one could get around the park by (hired) car.  I know most people go to hike the "W" or the "O" — which I would love to do — but those paths diverge from the one that leads to the kinds of image data acquisition that is my goal.  One day, perhaps, I will return with time to hike — the view coming through Paso Gardner sounds profound, and getting away from summer crowds is always worthwhile.

I had planned on the glacier trip, having never seen one.  From your advice I will likely opt to spend my time (and dimes) elsewhere.

My outdoor photography has always been "drive and hike".  Forced to choose how to compromise in equipment purchases, I opted for top IQ at the expense of weight-savings.  The kit I have is, in part and entire, heavy.  I have decided to match my time in the park to my well-known (and paid-for) equipment rather than purchase new equipment to match an itinerary.  But I am going to be at the base of the Towers at sunrise   8) .

I do need to purchase a travel tripod.  Can anyone vouch for the MeFOTO GlobeTrotter Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod Kit (B&H)?  At $370 it has a usable head, converts to a monopod, and is much less expensive than the headless Gitzo GT1542T Series 1 Traveler 6x Carbon Fiber 4-Section Tripod (B&H, currently on sale for $500).  The Gitzo is popular, highly thought-of, and weighs almost a pound less (after adjusting for the head).

I'm sorry you weren't gifted with good light in the park, and got to experience the wind anyway.  The foxes, for me, would make up for a good bit of that.

Thanks again for your information and suggestions,

Kirby.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 08:36:50 am by KirbyKrieger »

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 08:35:31 am »

You're asking good questions, and this sounds like a great trip. I guess you answered my first question, which is, what is the primary purpose of this trip? Sounds like it's all about the photography, so you'll need to bring some gear.

{Much goodness snipped.}

All that said, this is why I bought my Fujifilm system :)  I just can't carry that much weight anymore.

Thanks for your detailed advice.  The 50/1.4 (I have the Sigma, which is huge for a 50) would be my next lens.  For me (I prefer long, and wide, rather than normal), the RX1R easily substitutes for it (and weighs less).

I had not considered that in-country carry-on might be restricted to smaller sizes than international.  Your heads-up could save me a big headache.  Thanks.

I will likely go with the MePhoto.  Is it good enough to keep for 10 years?

I, too, endeavor to have three copies of all digital files.  I'm still working out field back-up.  Power is another matter.  I should be good for about four days of photography without recharging.  I will have to find a power source at some point in the park.

I tried a 16 MP MFT system a couple of years ago, but did not get the DR I wanted, and disliked the color.  Things keep moving forward, but I'm not yet actually tempted to buy.  Now if I continue to travel to the ends of the Earth … .

Thanks again for the helpful response  :) .

Ken Bennett

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 09:29:27 am »

Not sure about the Mephoto tripod. I keep pickling it up when I'm at a real camera shop and then putting it back down again. I think it would be fine for my smaller travel system, but it might not hold up for ten years with a full size DSLR rig and big lenses. But I think the next time I see one I will buy it and find out. (Hauling my giant Gitzo is fine for local stuff, but not for travel.)

For carryon, it depends on your itinerary. If you end up on a very small regional jet or even smaller puddle jumper, the overhead bins aren't that large. Hate to have to check a large bag full of gear... though it's sometimes ok to gate check it so it's last on and first off and doesn't ever go through the baggage stealing handling system. I have a Think Tank Airport International roller that has been on some pretty small planes and it fit just fine, though of course a roller won't work for this trip. I also have an old Lowepro Stealth backpack made for photojournalists that carries two pro bodies and three f/2.8 zooms, along with a laptop and a bunch of other gear, but it would not be comfortable for trekking. So I don't really have a recommendation here, sorry :)

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 03:00:08 pm »

Power is another matter.  I should be good for about four days of photography without recharging. 

If you focus via live view, you will, of course, go through batteries a lot faster.

On a other topic, the Gitzo is cheap when you consider that I paid nearly double that price a few years ago in Europe.  :o

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 03:12:51 pm »

If you focus via live view, you will, of course, go through batteries a lot faster.

Ah — the unexpected advantages of the best OVF every made  :D .

And the joys of live-view:  I took the RX1R to the top of Katahdin (in Maine).  With 5 batteries.

Ken Bennett

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 04:10:20 pm »

And the joys of live-view:  I took the RX1R to the top of Katahdin (in Maine).  With 5 batteries.

:) I thought it was just my X Pro 1 with that particular problem (though it is mitigated when using the OVF.)

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 04:24:54 pm »

The RX1R's OVF has advanced beyond corporeality.  Draws no power; weighs literally nothing.  You see … everything.

;D

Every time I use the RX1R's EVF and then return to my a900/a850's OVF I get as happy as a gastronome sprung from the clink.   But that's just me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up