Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 32-bit HDR Lightroom plugin  (Read 11818 times)

jrp

Re: 32-bit HDR Lightroom plugin
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2013, 07:51:09 pm »

Why is this better than the Photoshop Merge? I have not compared them recently,  but Photoshop always used to be king of the hill on alignment, it just had poorly implemented / explained tone mapping.  Does the Phomomatix plug-in have the manual de-ghosting, which I can see would sometimes be an advantage?

Jason DiMichele

• Jason DiMichele - Fine Art Photographer and Printer
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2013, 08:04:23 pm »

Why is this better than the Photoshop Merge? I have not compared them recently,  but Photoshop always used to be king of the hill on alignment, it just had poorly implemented / explained tone mapping.  Does the Phomomatix plug-in have the manual de-ghosting, which I can see would sometimes be an advantage?

Hey jrp,

For the subjects that I shoot alignment isn't really an issue so I suppose the Photoshop merge may be completely satisfactory in that department. However, I find that it's a lot faster firing off files to the Photomatix plugin than having Photoshop merge the files. Aside from the speed, I've been using Photomatix Pro for a long time, before Photoshop's HDR capabilities were up to par (at least the merge to HDR) and have been extremely happy with the results. I am definitely interested in your findings if you do a more direct comparison. The plugin only has normal or strong deghosting options (or none if you disable it). But my subjects that I use HDR on aren't moving at all and I'm always on a tripod. Let me know what your results are!

Cheers!
Jason DiMichele
Fine Art Photographer an

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2013, 09:38:23 pm »

Hi Jason: No, I haven't gotten back to it yet.  Way down on a far too long 'to do' list!

Would be interesting in hearing your experience, though.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

manfred1

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2013, 10:07:53 am »

Hi,

since 12 months most of my images are 32bpc files. Most of the time I use the Photomatix 32bit plugin, sometimes Photoshop Merge to HDR Pro.

From my point of view, PS does a good job regarding the alignment and avoiding noise. But PS often shows color casts as well as de-saturation. Many times I am unsure about the colors of the merged files.

On the other side, Photomatix plugin shows good colors and mostly aligns images well. The only seldom drawback is noise. E.g. when shooting a church in the dark illuminated by candles with 7 exposures Photomatix shows "ugly" noise, mostly as saturated blue speckles. It is very hard to hide these speckles in post processing.

Overall I am satisfied with Photomatix. But my hope is that Adobe will fix the color casts/desaturation issues. And my hope is also that Adobe will expand the 32bpc processing capabilities in Lightroom.

Manfred

Jason DiMichele

• Jason DiMichele - Fine Art Photographer and Printer
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2013, 01:41:06 pm »

Hi Jason: No, I haven't gotten back to it yet.  Way down on a far too long 'to do' list!

Would be interesting in hearing your experience, though.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Will keep you posted! :) And I hear ya about that long "to do" list. :)

Cheers!
Jason DiMichele
Fine Art Photographer an
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up