Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendation for adheisve for one-off mounting 16x20 to foam board?  (Read 6358 times)

AFairley

I'm doing a flush mount of a 16x20 on form board (to go in a floater frame).  The paper is similar to the Epson Hot Press/Cold Press papers.  What's the recommended adhesive for this?  I can spray or brush on, but since this is a one time deal I don't want to have to buy a large quantity of whatever it is I should use.  I want a nice permanent mount that won't life or separate over time.

Thanks,

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Re: Recommendation for adheisve for one-off mounting 16x20 to foam board?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 01:19:40 pm »

I use a dry mount press so I can't help specific to your question.  I comment though because I'd suggest if it's a one off then I'd have a frame shop do it.  I'd also go for gatorfoam rather than regular foamcore.  16x20 is a bit close (size wise) but it may warp over time while gator will stay flat

bjanes

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 03:07:26 pm »

I'm doing a flush mount of a 16x20 on form board (to go in a floater frame).  The paper is similar to the Epson Hot Press/Cold Press papers.  What's the recommended adhesive for this?  I can spray or brush on, but since this is a one time deal I don't want to have to buy a large quantity of whatever it is I should use.  I want a nice permanent mount that won't life or separate over time.

Thanks,

Dry mounting is probably the best solution but for occasional use I have used 3M spray photo mount. It is easy to work with, but I don't know if it is archival.

Bill

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 05:53:54 pm »

Clear bags sells Bainbridge self adhesive foam board,just peel and stick.
About as simple as it gets might take 5 seconds to stick and a half minute to trim.
Around $13 for a 16x20 or $4.50@ if you buy a box of 25.
If you plan on doing more of these just buy the 32x40's and cut them to size when you need them.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 06:04:57 pm by Dan Berg »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 06:03:33 pm »

Most frame shops will mount a 16x20 for about that price or even less.  Personally I wouldn’t use a spray adhesive on a fine art paper.

AFairley

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 06:54:50 pm »

Most frame shops will mount a 16x20 for about that price or even less.  Personally I wouldn’t use a spray adhesive on a fine art paper.

$16 bucks here, and that's with me supplying the foam core.  Any opinion on Lineco Neutral pH Adhesive (liquid, brush on)?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 09:21:16 pm »

Well, I guess technically I'm not just a "frame" store, the mounting is part of our printing services, not framing, so perhaps a little lower priced. We charge $15 to mount a 16x20 to thick foam core, $18 for gator.  We do get some prints brought to us for mounting and we're happy to do so as long as they sign a release.

As far as brush on adhesive, perhaps I should rephrase my statement...

I wouldn’t use a spray or brush on adhesive for any fine art paper, only heat or cold adhesive mount. However, if I HAD to use one of those two, I'd probably opt for the spray on.

The peel and stick options are actually pretty good for prints 16x20 and smaller, obviously the problem is having to buy a packet.

(seems like a lot of effort to save a few bucks, $16 plus mount board might be worth saving the hassle and faster ...)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 02:15:57 pm by Wayne Fox »

AFairley

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 12:13:32 pm »

(seems like a lot of effort to save a few bucks, $16 plus mount board might be worth saving the hassle and faster ...)

You do have a point, thanks for the responses.

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 05:15:10 am »

Dry mounting is probably the best solution but for occasional use I have used 3M spray photo mount. It is easy to work with, but I don't know if it is archival.

Bill

I had a very bad experience with 3M Photomount and foam core board.  I mounted an exhibition using 3M which was shown in Turkey.  Every single photograph detached itself from the board, many falling on the floor, all of which had to be remounted using an alternative adhesive.

I spent a great deal of time researching this after the event (spoke with 3M, the manufactures of the board, and adhesive experts) and it transpires that the foam core board emits a chemical, exacerbated by heat and humidity, which reacts with the Photomount reducing adhesion.  3M recommended using one of their high strength adhesives instead (such as the one used for sticking carpets !).  But on the basis of my experience I would probably pick one of the alternative methods above rather than a spray mount adhesive.

bjanes

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 09:12:17 am »

I had a very bad experience with 3M Photomount and foam core board.  I mounted an exhibition using 3M which was shown in Turkey.  Every single photograph detached itself from the board, many falling on the floor, all of which had to be remounted using an alternative adhesive.

I spent a great deal of time researching this after the event (spoke with 3M, the manufactures of the board, and adhesive experts) and it transpires that the foam core board emits a chemical, exacerbated by heat and humidity, which reacts with the Photomount reducing adhesion.  3M recommended using one of their high strength adhesives instead (such as the one used for sticking carpets !).  But on the basis of my experience I would probably pick one of the alternative methods above rather than a spray mount adhesive.

Ouch!!

I have not experienced that problem, but I was using the adhesive to mount on wood pulp based mounting boards, which have a less smooth surface than foam board. Also, my environmental conditions were less extreme. The fact that the 3M adhesive emits a chemical is disturbing--it could affect the print.

Bill

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 11:16:39 pm »

My frame shop buys the heat activated board by the case and they love me for it since its saves much time and effort and there both less waste and there's no chaff from trimming tissue.

You can find pre-cut board on the web from various suppliers.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 01:03:17 pm »

Ouch!!

I have not experienced that problem, but I was using the adhesive to mount on wood pulp based mounting boards, which have a less smooth surface than foam board. Also, my environmental conditions were less extreme. The fact that the 3M adhesive emits a chemical is disturbing--it could affect the print.

Bill

In order to avoid any misunderstandings it is the foam core board that emits the chemical.

I also learned that some foam core boards come pre-coated with adhesive.  If I remember correctly this works like a sticky label where you peel-back a silconised paper to reveal the adhesive on the board.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 03:55:47 pm »

Foam core can be purchased as a peel and stick process, or can be purchases as “single” step, which has a heat activated coating pre applied to the board.  Single step is easy to work with, images stick well, and is a nice solution if you have a press.  Peel and stick is often used for those with cold laminating presses, but for sizes up to 16x20 some success can be had with doing it by hand.

Peel and stick is available in many types of material, including high quality acid free mount board, foam core, as well as gator. Coda has peel and stick gator that has a smooth plastic finish applied first which works well for glossy materials like flex and metallic.  Hard to mount stuff like this and get it smooth.

cortlander

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, 07:20:15 pm »

Clear bags sells Bainbridge self adhesive foam board,just peel and stick.
About as simple as it gets might take 5 seconds to stick and a half minute to trim.
Around $13 for a 16x20 or $4.50@ if you buy a box of 25.
If you plan on doing more of these just buy the 32x40's and cut them to size when you need them.

Hi,

How do you cut these board to size? I have a Logan 750-1 mat cutter, but I guess I need something else to cut this? In the past I have been buying pre-cut boards from foamcoreheaven.com, but what you suggest is more cost effective. Thanks
cortlander

dgberg

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2013, 11:16:59 pm »

Straight edge and a razor is the minimum equipment list for cutting foam board. Easy as pie.
I buy 40x60 by the case and do not mount photos on it but use it for packing on either side of large gallery wraps.
I have a speedmat 40x60 that I use to cut foamboard into smaller sizes.

cortlander

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2013, 08:04:00 am »

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I use self adhesive gator boards to mount prints on, as foam warps sooner. But I have to buy them pre-cut to the sizes I need as they are harder.
cortlander

dgberg

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2013, 08:31:01 am »

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I use self adhesive gator boards to mount prints on, as foam warps sooner. But I have to buy them pre-cut to the sizes I need as they are harder.

My reference was to foamboard not gatorboard.
I use more gator then any other product for mounting and cut it up on my large sliding table saw.
Several threads here on tools for cutting gator and Dibond without the mess. Keencuts Javelin Integra,SteelTrak,etc.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 08:43:38 am by Dan Berg »

cortlander

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2013, 08:37:33 pm »

Thanks Dan, I will check the threads you mentioned.
cortlander
Pages: [1]   Go Up