Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple Thunderbolt Display  (Read 2793 times)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Apple Thunderbolt Display
« on: December 19, 2013, 09:35:49 am »

Curious if anyone has this display and how colour accurate it is compared to something like an Eizo?  I'm asking here rather than the hardware area so people don't tell me to get the latest greatest at Costco and save a bundle.  I'm more interested in consistent performance than cost (to a certain degree).  I currently have an Eizo CE210W and considering upgrading to something a little larger and since I'm on a Mac, the Thunderbolt 27" is attractive - but does it hold up for professional use?
Mike Guilbault

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Apple Thunderbolt Display
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 06:16:32 pm »

the thunderbolt display is decent.  I work on one frequently, but I would say my NEC 301w is a much better solution. Eizo and NEC wide gamut monitors are really a dream to work with.  Part of that is the gamut but the spectra vision software allows one to really fine tune the profile to get a good visual match. 

I’m probably going to replace my Thunderbolt display at my store with the the new NEC 27”.  Several hundred more but I’ve really been happy with the 30” NEC I have at home.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 06:35:56 pm »

Curious if anyone has this display and how colour accurate it is compared to something like an Eizo?
About the only thing that makes it special IS the Thunderbolt. If you're asking about wide gamut, high bit reference display system ala Eizo and NEC SpectraView, this ain't it.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 08:40:43 am »

It's a good display but wait for the update with USB 3ports, Thunderbolt 2.0 and, most importantly, a fused glass display with less reflections.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 12:35:24 pm »

I like the looks of that NEC Wayne.  Might have to consider that.  Thanks for the feedback guys.
Mike Guilbault

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 01:11:40 pm »

I like the looks of that NEC Wayne.  Might have to consider that.  Thanks for the feedback guys.

Just upgraded from a PA271W to PA272W and while they look identical from the outside, there some useful differences that make the newer unit worth looking at!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

dwnelson

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 02:54:24 am »

Just upgraded from a PA271W to PA272W and while they look identical from the outside, there some useful differences that make the newer unit worth looking at!

I would love to hear your thoughts on the upgrade, as I am trying to decide to take advantage of the deals on the PA271w ($800 at B&H), or get the latest and greatest for over 50% more.

D Fosse

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 07:42:14 am »

Seeing these prices puts things in perspective. Here in Norway a PA272W-Spectraview is $2700 (roughly the same as an Eizo CG276 BTW).

$800 would buy you a plain (non-SV) P232, or a Dell U2413...
Pages: [1]   Go Up