Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beechnut Grandpa  (Read 1619 times)

Todd Suttles

• Hi, amateur learning my way...
    • Todd Suttles
Beechnut Grandpa
« on: December 17, 2013, 09:37:32 pm »

I would very much appreciate C&C on this photo regarding both technical and aesthetic. I am posting the raw and PP images to show what I started with and what I did to it. I've done the best I know how at this point; for me I like it- But then I don't know what I don't know -unless someone who knows more tells me. Thank you in advance for being forthright.   -t
One Day At A Time

Bruce Cox

• flickr
Re: Beechnut Grandpa
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 10:22:53 pm »

I don't know either, but I made it brighter and whiter and like it more that way.

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 10:31:38 pm »

Thanks for your approach to it Bruce. I will brighten it up like that and see how that prints too. Much appreciated. -t
One Day At A Time

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 03:39:47 am »

Thanks for your approach to it Bruce. I will brighten it up like that and see how that prints too. Much appreciated. -t

I'd keep it in b&w, though. The colour seems to me to add nothing but the textures of the wood are interesting.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 04:12:34 am »

I prefer the orginal tonality; lightening the top just makes it look like a first testing for a dodged print. It's my experience that God usually gets light better than we do; He leaves us the challenge of bringing or not bringing out more detail. Which is cool, and allows us the illusion that we are creating something all by ourselves.

The devil, on the other hand, gives us digital and steals our soul.

;-)

Rob C

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 09:04:10 am »

I prefer the orginal tonality; lightening the top just makes it look like a first testing for a dodged print. It's my experience that God usually gets light better than we do; He leaves us the challenge of bringing or not bringing out more detail. Which is cool, and allows us the illusion that we are creating something all by ourselves.

The devil, on the other hand, gives us digital and steals our soul.

;-)

Rob C

Now that you mention it I do seem to feel flames lapping at my sides.  The blue shadows may have been worth it though.

Bruce

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 09:16:19 am »

Now that you mention it I do seem to feel flames lapping at my sides.  The blue shadows may have been worth it though.

Bruce

Always!!

Peter

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 09:50:57 am »

to be fallowed by…
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 10:33:48 am by Bruce Cox »

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 12:10:37 pm »

RE: It's my experience that God usually gets light better than we do; He leaves us the challenge of bringing or not bringing out more detail. Which is cool, and allows us the illusion that we are creating something all by ourselves.

LOL - Knowing when to stop seems to be the great secret in just about everything! and certainly not an instinct for me.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 12:13:26 pm by Todd Suttles »
One Day At A Time

dhancock

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 10:38:33 am »

Well, here comes the critique. There is a lot of unattractive visual distractions that do not benefit the photograph: the dock and the pile of branches primarily.

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 01:09:05 pm »

Well, here comes the critique. There is a lot of unattractive visual distractions that do not benefit the photograph: the dock and the pile of branches primarily.

Agreed on the branches. Started to move them but there wasn't enough time / light left to do both. Intend to return and experiment with different times of day anyway. Thanks for being honest.
-t
One Day At A Time
Pages: [1]   Go Up