Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just installed 5.3, and it has very very slow performance  (Read 7641 times)

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Re: Just installed 5.3, and it has very very slow performance
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 04:52:03 pm »

No speed issues for a very long time, my machine doesn't even breathe hard no matter what I do in LR.  Look to your disc system.  Scan for damage, make sure you have plenty of space, clear caches, temp files, look for your error log, etc.  You have other issues, it's not LR.

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2013, 11:11:46 am »

LR doesn't use any GPU acceleration, so there is no way to switch it off.

Dang! I was hoping Lightroom would take advantage of the big honking' GPUs in the new Mac Pro. :(
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

francois

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2013, 11:51:20 am »

I would use Activity Monitor (/Applications/Utilities/) or the terminal and see the CPU load.
Francois

Glenn NK

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2013, 12:17:12 pm »

No noticeable difference compared to LR4 or LR5.0

Having said that, extensive Adjustment Brush work really bungs things up - have to stop and take quite a few deep breaths.
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

thierrylegros396

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2013, 01:46:08 pm »

No noticeable difference compared to LR4 or LR5.0

Having said that, extensive Adjustment Brush work really bungs things up - have to stop and take quite a few deep breaths.

+1

Thierry

jljonathan

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2013, 04:12:04 pm »

Yes, that is just what I was talking about. Brush work seems to be LR5's Achilles heel, you can sit a wait for it to recover quite a long time. Any suggestions for this particular problem that several folks have now chimed in about.

jrsforums

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2013, 05:35:25 pm »

Yes, that is just what I was talking about. Brush work seems to be LR5's Achilles heel, you can sit a wait for it to recover quite a long time. Any suggestions for this particular problem that several folks have now chimed in about.

If I am doing more than a little brush work, I will leave it for last and go to PS for dodging and burning, for example.  Much faster and better control.

Before, this meant a significant expence.  With the $10. Offer, it should not be an issue for most.
John

Glenn NK

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2013, 05:53:43 pm »

I had the problem with LR4 too.   I only wish there was some way - maybe an 8 core 3.5GHz machine?   Priced one out yesterday - I'll be sticking with my quad core for a while yet.   I don't think it will be solved soon - the brush is very processor hungry.

MAJOR EDIT:

When re-opening a previously worked on RAW with a considerable amount of brush, gradient, or spot removal edits, the file will still be sluggish for LR to work with.

A workaround is to export then import the file as a TIFF.  The previous edits on the RAW file remain but when working on additional edits, the (TIFF) file is not sluggish (unless the second set of edits become ponderous).  The obvious drawback is that the previous edits embedded into the TIFF cannot be undone.   At least it's not frustrating to work with.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 01:05:53 am by Glenn NK »
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up