Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Logan Matt Cutter  (Read 8074 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Logan Matt Cutter
« on: December 17, 2013, 12:59:23 am »

Does anyone have any experience with Logan Matt cutters? Specifically THIS model.

Was going to purchase a speed matt - but I just have not got the wall space for it in my studio so need something table mounted.

Any suggestions welcome.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

msbc

Re: Logan Matt Cutter
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 07:11:12 am »

I had a Logan but found it difficult to get accurate small with borders. Now use this http://www.clubframeco.com/store/product_details.php?pd_id=1692

Highly recommended and available in Aus.
Mark Connell
Melbourne, Australia

Stephen Girimont

• The Intimate Landscape
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 07:16:12 am »

I have that model and love it. It's the best I've ever used.

Takes a little while to get things dialed in just right, but once you do, you get perfect corners.

JeanMichel

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 10:41:55 am »

I have their smaller model and it works just fine with 4 ply boards, not to well with 8 ply boards.
Jean-Michel

BillK

• http://
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 11:00:38 am »

I have that exact model and have no complaints. Was going to buy a Fletcher, considered by most
to be the best. I saw both demonstrated at a trade show and decided that the logan Platinum 850
would be best for me. After cutting several hundred mats I have no regrets.

I also have an older logan with a wood/laminate base. I would not recommend it. The 850 is all metal
much more solid. The stops stay where you put them. It has speeded up my workflow considerably.

Bill

framah

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 11:20:33 am »

For that much money, go look at a C&H or a Fletcher cutter. BOTH are better than a Logan and are the standards that most all frame shops use.

Logans are and have always been at the lower end of the mat cutter list for quality and reliability.

Usually, someone buys a Logan because of money constraints... and gets what they paid for, a cheaper cutter.

Always buy the best you can afford for any equipment you plan to use on a regular basis.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 01:09:35 pm »

^ Well stated.

These are deceptively high precision machines and one gets what one pays for.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 05:01:58 pm »

Can you still get C&H?  In my area they are just hard to find now. 

The Fletcher 2200 is a great machine I have had mine 6 years now.  Only had one issue with it and it was my fault on blade tension. 

The Logan you referenced is also a nice unit, less cost but is Logan's attempt to get into the more precision cutting machine business.  I have seen the 48" model (I would only go with a 48" or longer) and I do like the double blade idea.    I still use a old Logn 760, basic cutter with the Logan hand held 8 ply cutter as it' the only way I can get a 8 ply cut without going to a shop with a machine.  This works great up to around 20 x 30, but after that there is a bit too much play and the corners tend to suffer. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 06:59:35 pm »

FWIW: Some time ago Phaedra, a maker of very high quality cutters, closed their doors. Logan bought the Phaedra Chronomat line as their only model aimed at professionals. The Logan Platinum Edge line is the Chronomat cutter with a graphite color instead of brushed aluminum.

[edit] I should have mentioned that if you own a Chronomat the Logan parts are interchangeable so you don't have to worry about a source for parts.  
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 07:13:24 pm by DeanChriss »
- Dean

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 08:14:08 pm »

Years ago I used a the 60" version of the Logan 650 line.  Threw away all the rulers and guides except for the two matte width guides which were pretty accurate.  Cut all my mattes by making pencil marks on the back.  Was able to make visibly perfect mattes every time, without the slightest over/under cutting.  The rigid guide rail barely put it on the happy side of usability, and was the only mechanically commendable part of that contraption.  In general matte cutters have always struck me as needlessly complicated for the task, and they depend on precision but highly vulnerable stick-out thingies that can be easily bent by massive cosmic particles.

Nice equipment can be a joy, but mediocre stuff can be made great with sprinkles of pixie dust from a skilled operator.  Can philosophize at length on this subject.  In the early 70's I shot motion graphic logos for all three major US TV networks using stuff assembled in one afternoon from stuff bought at the hardware store, and costing about $200.  Duct tape and small clamps and display case bulbs were central to the design.  And an antique rackover Mitchell camera with bipack magazine that cost $400.  My competitors spent $1,500,000 to do the same, and I killed 'em on every bid.  So count your pennies, if it's not actually good for you then at least it's bad for your competitors.  Sometimes.  I bet nobody here remembers what a "streak" was, not the naked kind.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 08:50:38 pm »

^From the guy who makes his own pano heads.

It’s a given that notable skill in measuring accurately is a big part of success with mat cutters and many other things.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 09:16:11 pm »

I have that model also and have loved it for many years!  I wish you were local I could sell it cheap, as I just sold my printer to get out of that part of the biz.

BillK

• http://
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 11:30:16 am »

What Dean says makes sense. The 850 Platinum does seem to be in a different league
when it comes to quality, precision and design than the rest of Logans line.
Wouldn't recommend any Logan cutter for regular use other than this one.

RachelleK

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 12:05:25 pm »

What Dean says makes sense. The 850 Platinum does seem to be in a different league
when it comes to quality, precision and design than the rest of Logans line.
Wouldn't recommend any Logan cutter for regular use other than this one.

What about the Logan 660 Framer's Edge Elite?  It seems similar to the 850 Platinum but with a pressboard base rather than aluminum.

Josh-H

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 09:48:44 pm »

Thanks all - some helpful thoughts and advice in there.

Im going to give the The 850 Platinum a trial. Bang for buck it seems a great option.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

hugowolf

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 10:02:19 pm »

What about the Logan 660 Framer's Edge Elite?  It seems similar to the 850 Platinum but with a pressboard base rather than aluminum.

They are in a different league to the 850. Probably the best deal in that league is the 750-1.

Brian A

RachelleK

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 10:53:55 pm »

They are in a different league to the 850. Probably the best deal in that league is the 750-1.

Brian A

The 750 seems to have the same type of bar and cutters as Logan's cheaper models.  The 660 Framers Edge appears to have the same dual cutter and bar as the 850.

http://www.logangraphic.com/products/boardmounted/framers-edge-elite.php

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
Re: Logan Matt Cutter …
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 11:31:51 pm »

For what little bit it's worth (not knowing your use of the cutter), I looked into similar and decided to outsource all mat cutting to a local outfit that has computer-controlled mat cutters.  The window mats are expensive, but they are perfect (none of my prints are standard sizes), and cost me nothing in either time, inventory, or equipment.  Additionally, I have had them cut circular and n-gon window mats, as needed, which, of course, I couldn't have done easily (or at all) with any mat-cutter.

As a boy I used to cut mats at 45° bevel by hand for print-makers.  I practiced for _hours_.  I remember when 45° blade-holders came out.  Wonders!  But oddly mechanical.

Now?  Computer-controlled for me.

Josh-H

Re: Logan Matt Cutter …
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2013, 12:17:27 am »

For what little bit it's worth (not knowing your use of the cutter), I looked into similar and decided to outsource all mat cutting to a local outfit that has computer-controlled mat cutters.  The window mats are expensive, but they are perfect (none of my prints are standard sizes), and cost me nothing in either time, inventory, or equipment.  Additionally, I have had them cut circular and n-gon window mats, as needed, which, of course, I couldn't have done easily (or at all) with any mat-cutter.

As a boy I used to cut mats at 45° bevel by hand for print-makers.  I practiced for _hours_.  I remember when 45° blade-holders came out.  Wonders!  But oddly mechanical.

Now?  Computer-controlled for me.

I have been outsourcing my matt cutting as well - but at $30 a matt here locally for a 16 x 20 window mount that price quickly adds up to the cost of a matt cutter....
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 11:05:22 am »

If I get the volume up enough I’d get a computer controlled mat cutter. There is an inherent amount of errors when doing this by hand. I’m trying to get away from using a mat cutter by doing coated canvas, which doesn’t require mats, or glass for that matter. The irony is that a percentage of my customers actually like the classic beveled mats over cotton rag mat foto paper presentation behind glass/acrylic, instead of coated canvas. Go figure….

Josh, if you or anyone is interested, my supplier does this kind of highly customized mat cutting for less than $30 per cut. I don’t remember the exact amount as its been a couple of years since I asked, but I’ll give you their name if you or anyone else contact me privately. They do require a business license before they’ll sell. Plus they sell the mat paper to you too as part of the deal. I don’t know if it’s acceptable to publish names here, plus unless you’re near Seattle you’d have to pay shipping, which would negate some of the savings. That said, I would imagine other wholesale suppliers would make the same kind of cost related offers.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up