Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Unlock head in 9900 for cleaning?  (Read 3603 times)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Unlock head in 9900 for cleaning?
« on: December 15, 2013, 08:47:18 am »

I tried Maintenance Mode, but didn't see the option to unlock the head. 
Mike Guilbault

blpanther

Re: Unlock head in 9900 for cleaning?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 08:50:30 am »

I don't think there is such thing as unlocking this head from my exp.
I would unplug from power when it is out and about :)

na goodman

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 09:27:49 am »

On other models if you go to do a blade change the head unlocks. Did you try that?

Garnick

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 09:28:27 am »

Hi Mike,

Yes, you can definitely unlock the carriage assembly in maintenance mode.  I've done it several times to both clean and replace the wiper blade assembly.  It's actually very simple, but I'm not at work now and can't remember the exact procedure.  If you don't have an answer by tomorrow morning I'll email you as as soon as I get in and find my notes.  Don't think I have them on my computer here at home, but if I can find it I'll send it along today.  

Gary  
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 10:16:53 am »

Eric's video shows how to unlock the head to replace the wiper.  It's in the huge 7900 thread on this site.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Garnick

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 10:20:40 am »

Hello again Mike,

I just checked my computer at home, and as expected, I have no information about this here.  It's all on my work computer.  I also checked Eric's site, but it seems that the wiper replacement video has been disabled there.  I have it and will send it to you in the morning via a website named "WeTransfer".  It's a great site for transferring large files and best of all, it's free up to 2Gb per transfer.  You will receive an email from "WeTransfer" to let you know the file is there, as well as link to their site.  I hope you'll have an answer today, but if not this video will definitely lead you to where you need to go.  Once you're in maintenance mode it is NOT an intuitive path to releasing the head and moving the wiper assembly down so that it can be removed for cleaning or replacement.  I suspect that's due to the fact that Epson does not want us to be messing around in that mode any more than necessary.  However, once you have the proper information it's very easy and you can also reset the wiper counter in the same area.  If all you want to do is replace the wiper it would take about a minute from start to finish.  Perhaps a bit longer the first time, as it always is for me.  I tend to double and triple check every move the first time round.  I've done it several times for both cleaning and replacing the wiper.  Also, I believe you are located somewhere in the GTA, as am I.  If you don't already have a source for this wiper blade, this is where I bought mine(3 of them) -- http://www.access.on.ca/ in Toronto.  Just give them a call and ask for Eddie Pascua.  You can also get the print-head from them, but it's a long wait now.  Epson is protecting their technology very closely as of late.  I'll keep checking in here today and if you don't have an answer I'll send along the video in the morning from work.

Gary  
Gary N.

Garnick

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 10:32:56 am »

Well, here I am again,

Here are a couple of URLs for the video I've been referring to.  Unfortunately they don't seem to be active any longer, at least not at the moment.  Perhaps you'll have better luck, give them a try.  If not, let me know and I'll send it along tomorrow. The first one is actually from the LuLa site and the second from Eric's site.

http://gotagteam.com/epson/Epson_7900-Wiperblade_change.html

http://myx900.com/wiper-blade-replacement/

Gary N.

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 12:06:59 pm »

got it Gary... thanks for the extra effort!

Interesting.. the 9900 manual shows that holding the Trash button on power up takes it into Maintenance Mode, which it does, but nothing there to unlock the head or change wipers.  I followed the steps in Eric's video and the four button start fires it up, but looks just like a regular power up.  It wasn't until after I watched the video that I saw him press the Menu button and low and behold, maintenance options!  They do hide it from you don't they!

Anyway, I'm going to be away for a week and a half and purchased some of AmericanInket's cleaning fluid.  I tried the CLF007P+ on the stubborn PK clog I've had on my 4900 for 6 weeks and it worked!  I screwed it up by dabbing too much excess off and now my Orange is clogged, but it's coming back slowly.

AmericanInkjet suggested I put some CLF007P (not the "+") on the capping station to keep it moist while I'm away.  I found it on the 4900 with little trouble, but now that I have the head out of the way on the 9900, I'm not sure where the capping station is.  It doesn't look anything like the 4900.  Here's a photo inside the 9900.  Can anyone tell me exactly where I should be putting this fluid?
Mike Guilbault

Garnick

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 12:16:39 pm »

Hi Mike,

The capping station as at the top left of that picture.  Where you see all of the ink colours and sort of a honeycomb configuration.  That's where the printhead comes to rest.  I've never tried any sort of cleaning in that area on the 9900 so far, but I imagine I will at some point.  Maintenance of the wiper blade is the most critical part and it looks like you have all the info you need to get that done, so good luck and clean wipers from this point forward.

Gary
Gary N.

davidh202

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 08:00:08 pm »

That answer is exactly why Epson doesn't want people fooling with the machines!

What you are looking at in that picture is not the capping station itself, (only part of the entire assembly). The picture shows  the waste tank pad where the  head comes to rest to eject ink during a cleaning cycle. The capping station is hidden in the back of the assembly, and slides to the front for the head to park on during the shutdown or an idle cycle.

David
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 08:15:14 pm by davidh202 »

Garnick

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 11:08:14 pm »

Hi David,

Technically you're correct, that is only part of the assembly, but a rather important part and one area that can be cleaned easily if necessary.  However, if Epson had their way we'd all be paying outrageous fees to D1 for mostly inferior work consisting of throwing parts at these machines until one sticks.  I have a list of issues with my 9900 containing over a hundred separate entries.  Three service calls within the first year and a number of parts replaced, including the print head(twice).  My thread on these issues goes back almost three years, but I imagine it's still in the archives somewhere.  If it hadn't been for Eric's unfortunate experience with the 7900 and his tenacious approach to the situation we'd be trying to muddle our way through the service and field manuals just to replace or clean the wiper blade.  Most of this information is hidden by Epson for one purpose only, sell more ink and printers to those frustrated with their "pro" machines.  I will admit that since my third and final warranty period expired the printer has been working well, no major issues so far, for which I am very grateful.  Likely the beneficiary of all the work done on it during warranty.  Whatever the reason, it is behaving now and that's really all that matters.  I am now looking at possibly purchasing a 7890 for specific jobs and hope that printer is relatively problem free.  I will however be buying all of the warranty that's available, a lesson well learned.  I'm definitely a believer in the do it yourself approach to maintenance where possible and within one's own comfort level.  Therefore, I for one will be doing all I can to keep my machine in proper working order.

Gary
Gary N.

davidh202

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 11:37:56 pm »

Gary,
I recall your posted problems with your machines, and yes I agree with the fact that Epson should possibly allow for certain self Planned Maintenance. BUT... there are too many inept people that would screw things up and damage the machines and expect Epson to make good on warrantees!!
We have already heard from at least two people on various threads, that have attempted to do something "as simple" as replacing the wiper and did not seat the part correctly resulting in error codes ! Damage could have been much worse !!! Is Epson to be responsible for damages caused in this manner, or people not following the user manual and  misusing their machines causing the very problems that Epson warns about? There is just no way Epson could be or should be liable for any damages if people do not use their machines as prescribed and that is why Epson does not condone or advise any self diagnostics, repairs, or remedies. These machines are very sensitive and precise instuments ...
My problem with your answer to the picture is that anyone looking at the pic you said was the capping station, and is using whetting solution from AIS as Mike intends to ,would be placing the solution on the wrong part and it would be totally ineffective besides the wasted cost involved!

Misinformation on the internet does more harm than good ;-)

David

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 12:27:53 am »

I certainly don't expect Epson to warranty a fault that I caused, but if there is something I can do to avoid a service call I will. After viewing Eric's video, I realized that the square pad with the mesh overlay wasn't the actual capping station but a flushing pad.  As Eric says.. that's where all your expensive ink gets flushed!

So... how do you reveal the capping station where the AIS fluid is supposed to go?
Mike Guilbault

Garnick

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 09:43:22 am »

Hello Mike and David,

First David:  You are right and I was incorrect to jump the gun and point to the wrong area on the pic presented by Mike.  Thanks for correcting that.  Initially it may seem that I'm about to contradict myself, but please read carefully.  I agree totally that Epson should bear NO responsibility for warranty coverage of any part or parts installed or tampered with by the user.  And of course having said that, what you have mentioned would obviously only have implications if the printer is indeed under warranty.  If that is the case and a service call is arrange, the service tech will usually assess the situation and advise Epson of any possible warranty breaches.  Then it's up to Epson whether or not the warranty will cover that particular repair.  My next little piece of advice to Mike will follow along that line.  However, I'm sure that Epson would like nothing better than to have all of their customers call them for the most inane issues and have a very costly service call arranged.  Over the years we have all at some point made it a routine to maintain the equipment we use, be it paper and film processors or the heavy duty 8x10 enlargers we used in the darkrooms of the past.  Depending on your vintage David, I'm sure you might have at least some knowledge of such equipment.  It has always been and is still imperative to maintain the equipment that keeps the business afloat, something that is becoming more difficult with each passing year.  Self reliance is the foundation of small business, but warranties and insurance are what keep the equipment in good working order.  Just my opinion of course.

Mike:  If you have been reading my ramblings here I imagine you know where I'm going with this.  Your warranty is worth its weight in GOLD, use it.  When I tore into D1 previously it was only because I have had a lot of experience with that company.  Unfortunately they are the only game in town as far as Epson is concerned.  I had three different techs work on my machine and when I called in always tried to get the one I thought was most responsible and experienced.  Of course that didn't always happen and sometimes it would be a tech in training, wasting my time while talking on his phone to the senior tech and trying to describe the situation and come to some sort of decision on a repair technique.  I will say though that it's not the techs I blame for this ineptness, they are only doing what they can do under the circumstances.  In my opinion it's the company policy at D1 that's the culprit.  Now to the nitty-gritty Mike.  You have a warranty, correct?  Please make it a routine as soon as possible to make yourself KNOWN to Epson.  Keep a log of the issues you are having, complete with a comprehensive description and dates. Also log the service calls and what was done to the machine at those times.  Call Epson and explain your problem, let them work it out.  That's what they do and they usually get it right eventually.  If for instance you are having a "clogging" problem, therefore using a lot of ink with cleanings etc, call Epson and complain.  Very often they will send out a few cartridges to offset the cost of that ink.  You will never know what they might be able to do for you if you don't try.  On several occasions on this forum and others I have advocated warranty renewals for these printers.  It's the best insurance policy you can buy.  Definitely not inexpensive, but much less than the cost of a head replacement for example.  My first service call, about six months in, would have cost a total of approximately $2500 outside of the warranty.  I had several calls beyond that, one about two months prior to the expiry of my final warranty period.  Epson also keeps a careful log of all issues and service calls pertaining to your printer, so when you do call they'll have all of that information to review and that's a big help as well.  So I suppose what this all comes down to is the fact that if you are still under warranty you definitely should NOT be trying to do any maintenance other than that prescribed by Epson.  Had I been aware that your printer was still warranted I would have suggested all of this in my first post.  Please take complete advantage of the warranty and make Epson work for you Mike.

Gary 
Gary N.

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 10:11:10 am »

Thanks for the detailed reply Gary.  My 4900 is out of warranty.. for about a year and a half now.  It's the one I'm having the clog problem with , but it is clearing with the help of AIS's solutions. Even though the nozzle check has gaps, the prints are still coming out beautifully and the gaps are slowly disappearing.  Of course I'm battling sub-par humidity levels right now, even with a humidifier going, so that's not helping.  The 9900 is working wonderfully and still has a couple months warranty to go.  I was having a few gaps in the yellow channel on nozzle checks and did report that to Epson. The tech I spoke with was very helpful and told me he logged the 'complaint' into my file so it would be noted that I called it in if the problem persisted. 

I've read a few posts about the AIS cleaning solution helping to maintain the printer so this is why I wanted to learn how to do all this on both the 4900 and 9900.  It would be a minimum $350 for them to just show up at my door, so if I can avoid this, I'd rather try.  And whether the 9900 is still under warranty or not, I'd rather not have the downtime waiting for a tech if I can help it.  Again, from what I've read and what AIS claim on their site, the cleaning solution sounds as if it will certainly help maintain the printer in good condition, especially with the lower winter humidity levels.  I'm also going to have to leave the printers without printing for about two weeks.  Again, if this cleaning fluid keeps the printer from clogging, or at least makes it easier to bring back with a cleaning or two, I think it's worth it.

Mike Guilbault

Garnick

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 10:54:05 am »

Well again, unfortunately I wasn't aware that you were going to use the AIS fluid on an out of warranty printer.  I see nothing wrong with that approach at all, although I have no experience with such fluids.  I'd be very interested in your follow up as to the positive effects of the AIS cleaning of the cap station, so please let us know how that works for you.  I am however somewhat skeptical of the plan to use this solution or any other such material on the 9900 while still in warranty, your call obviously Mike.  As far as the "gaps" in some of the 9900 nozzles is concerned, I've also found that if small gaps appear in the bottom quarter of the nozzle pattern one can still continue printing with good results.  I've done that on several occasions, keeping a careful eye on the situation and running a cleaning cycle at the first indication of a problem.  In some instances the gap(s) can eventually heal themselves if left alone to do so. 

I'll look forward to your post in a few weeks with your thoughts on the efficacy of the AIS solution.

Gary   
Gary N.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 12:46:23 pm »

Eric's video is still up yon can get to it here.

http://http://myx900.com/clean-your-wiper/

Great place to start.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Farmer

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 03:23:22 pm »

I'm pretty sure Epson, and all companies, do NOT want you to call with every little "inane issue" to arrange for third party service.  Why?  Because before it gets to sending service, they incur considerable costs to assist you (the infrastructure, the direct support and so on).

Most companies would prefer to bring their users up to the highest possible USER level of expertise.  They don't make money out of sending third party companies to bill you for service.
Phil Brown

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 03:56:31 pm »

Somebody's making money.
The tech rep makes $25 to $30 bucks an hour and they charge $175.00!

Farmer

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 04:30:58 pm »

Sure.  I presume they charge for travel as well or factor it in?  But how many hours are they employed and not pulling in money?  What's the cost of training, tools, support, infrastructure and so on?  Of course someone's making money - that's why they're doing it.
Phil Brown
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up