Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: St. Augustine  (Read 2056 times)

Rob C

Re: St. Augustine
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2013, 03:24:35 pm »

Ha! I also just now realized the initial confusion! Indeed, my post was meant as a comment on the atmosphere of the image, and not in a negative way. Although I am not a fan of Kinkade, there is a certain attraction to the type of scenes he portrayed, just like to Norman Rockwell's idealized portrayal of the American Dream scenes (which I like much, much better - his portrayal, not the dream nightmare).

Why the 'nightmare? What's wrong with the white picket fence if you can get it? Or is that the implication: you usually can't get it?

I'm puzzled. (Nuttin' noo!)

Rob C.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2013, 03:41:25 pm »

Why the 'nightmare? What's wrong with the white picket fence if you can get it? Or is that the implication: you usually can't get it?...

You can, usually. On credit (mortgage). Then the housing market tanks, leaving you with a house worth only ⅔ of the loan you still owe to the bank in full. Then your job is gone and is not coming back. Stock market crash took care of your savings too. The only thing that thrives is peddling crap to the ever-shrinking pool of the gullible (though the gullible pool never shrinks, just their purchasing power). If that is not your thing (i.e., peddling crap), you are screwed.

Rob C

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2013, 05:44:22 pm »

You can, usually. On credit (mortgage). Then the housing market tanks, leaving you with a house worth only ⅔ of the loan you still owe to the bank in full. Then your job is gone and is not coming back. Stock market crash took care of your savings too. The only thing that thrives is peddling crap to the ever-shrinking pool of the gullible (though the gullible pool never shrinks, just their purchasing power). If that is not your thing (i.e., peddling crap), you are screwed.

I never thought Chi was so similar to Spain. That 2/3rds bit is really funny: it exactly represents the difference in value asking price of similar properties to mine since 2008; they still can't sell. Thank fuck there was no mortgage.

Savings. We had enough. Then banks stopped interest as a concept. Then she died. Then I learned one doesn't live for half the cost of two. Then electricity went through the roof. Then winter comes and there's no insulation in hollow-brick buildings. Then the wood burner splits its door and you can't get it replaced and you can't burn it because if the glass falls out the fire will roar and sparks will ignite the carpets as you sleep, and you become a viking without a boat.

So the American Dream is, in essence, the Mediterranean Dream too. And yeah, you know it ain't coming back any time soon. Not for you nor probably your kids. It all sucks in the end. That's the name of the tune: it was right there all along, hidden in the music of all the jukeboxes that ever were. We just didn't want to listen right.

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2013, 06:22:35 pm »

Chisel that one in stone, Slobodan.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up