Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Post Processing Leica Monochrom Files  (Read 3178 times)

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
Post Processing Leica Monochrom Files
« on: December 13, 2013, 04:17:16 pm »

Hello everyone. I'm hoping this topic belongs in the LR forum.

I recently started shooting with a Leica Monochrom and I'm loving it. However, I was hoping the forum could share some tips, or point me in the right direction, with regards to post processing the files. I know the Nik Silver Effects is a great PP tool for the MM files, but I generally like to stay in LR if I can help it. I particularly like the grit and feel of Angelos Tzortzinis and Jacob Aue Sobol's images, albeit Angelos is using an M9, and I've been experimenting with recreating some of that feel in my shots. I'm assuming they are going into Photoshop, or at the very least Nik Silver Effects, but I'm just not sure.

What do the members find to be the most effective workflow when processing MM files? Just LR? A touch of LR and Nik? LR and Photoshop? Etc?

Thanks everyone! Have a great weekend!

JB Rasor

P.S. My apologies if this topic has been beaten to death. I wasn't able to locate a thread in the forum.

PhotoEcosse

Re: Post Processing Leica Monochrom Files
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 06:38:11 am »

I'll be interested to see how any MM users reply to this.

From a software perspective, however, what you would be able to do with Nik SilverEfexPro2 and similar mono conversion programs will be extremely limited as they depend upon having the full colour channel data from a "normal" Raw file available for processing. I would suspect that the basic functiopns of the Lightroom Develop Module will give you just about everything that can be usefully applied in processing MM files.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 06:45:44 am »

Yes. SilverEfexPro2 would just provide more choice of grain pattern.

Manoli

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 07:22:42 am »

Yes. SilverEfexPro2 would just provide more choice of grain pattern.

Or Alien Skin Exposure 5,
which works as both plug-in and stand alone mode. Excellent, not to say the 'best' , for fine tuned grain and much more. First heard of this through David Adamson (Adamson Editions) in Sean Reid's initial review of the Leica M8 in Nov-2008 - haven't been without it since.

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 11:16:30 pm »

Thanks everyone. It's a work in progress. I've never utilized Alien Skin but I might give it a try.
Pages: [1]   Go Up