Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I change LR5 CC default location  (Read 9312 times)

jpegman

How do I change LR5 CC default location
« on: December 12, 2013, 11:35:10 pm »

The Adobe CC has a preferences gear that allows one to select where the application are installed - but it apparently doesn't apply to LR!  I Prefer to leave my C:\ drive for my OS only, and my D:\ drive for all applications, and E:\drive for data  to make partition imaging smaller (and faster) and more bullet proof. I had purchased LR 5.2 installed on my D:\ drive and now when LR 5.3 came out, the CC application said LR 5 was up to date under "installed apps", however it said I need to install LR 5 under "Find New Apps".  So I assumed that LR 5.3 was a new app since LR updates replace the entire application and installed LR 5 New App.  Stupid installer found LR 5.2 and deleted it, but ignored my CC preference for install all apps at D:\Program Files\Adobe\ and installed it on C:\Program Files\Adobe.  Ultimately, I uninstalled LR5.3 manually downloaded LR 5.3 installer and installed it at D:\Program Files\Adobe\. Now I have to manually move all my presets etc back to find my LR 5.3. I restarted Adobe CC manager and it now says LR5 is up to date in "installed Apps" and no longer in "Find New Apps".  The registration number is different from my legacy version, so it must be the CC registration number.

Any suggestions for future LR 5 updates or am I stuck in manual updates with LR as I did this time?

Jpegman

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Re: How do I change LR5 CC default location
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 11:00:34 am »

"Why can't I install Lightroom to a custom location through the Creative Cloud?
Lightroom must be installed to your local drive and can't be installed to custom location like other Creative Cloud apps. Lightroom always installs to the default location and disregards any preference you select for a custom location. This behavior is as designed."

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-creative-cloud-faq.html#id_95665

Simon Garrett

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 12:17:33 pm »

Try this: install Lightroom with the CC installer, which will put it on Drive C.  As a check, go to Help, Lightroom registration, Licence, and note down the licence. 

Download the non-CC version of Lightroom (which is actually the same thing) and install it.  This installer asks you the drive on which to install it, I think.  When it installs Lightroom, if there's an existing version installed, it tries to use the same licence, so should use the CC licence.  After installation, check the licence number and it should be the same.  If it asks you for the licence number, give the one you noted earlier.

I've not tried this (!) but it might work. 

The comment by Adobe "This behavior is as designed" is rubbish, I'm quite sure.  Rather, the LR installer isn't designed for CC, and it so just runs with all settings at default, including location. 

sm906

• thomas hintze fotografie
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 12:46:30 pm »

"Why can't I install Lightroom to a custom location through the Creative Cloud?
Lightroom must be installed to your local drive and can't be installed to custom location like other Creative Cloud apps. Lightroom always installs to the default location and disregards any preference you select for a custom location. This behavior is as designed."

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-creative-cloud-faq.html#id_95665

That's one of the reasons I dislike Adobe, they tend to make things just as they think it should be and do not let the customer make his own choice. It is simply ridiculous to only let LR install on C:\. Instead of saying "This behavior is as designed" they better should have written "We just forgot to let it install on other partions/drives instead of the default location." I hope they will fix this error soon.

I like some of their products but I do not like the companies arrogance. Still hoping this will change some day (with hopefully some serious competitors showing up soon.)

Thomas
nature-architecture-panorama-fineart
Web hintze-photo.com | YT youtube.com/c/rawakademie
Pages: [1]   Go Up