Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dell - 2410 or 2412 ?  (Read 3957 times)

Alan Matuka

• Alan Matuka Photography
Dell - 2410 or 2412 ?
« on: December 12, 2013, 04:22:06 pm »

Hi,

I am about to buy new monitor and am deciding between Dell u 2410 and 2412.
I heard 2410 is a great monitor, but am not sure about the other one. Idea is to plug it in Macbook and use it for PS.
Thanks  :)

D Fosse

Re: Dell - 2410 or 2412 ?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 05:01:20 am »

U2410 has now been replaced by U2413. This is the wide gamut offering, while U2412 is standard gamut.

Be careful with Dell. Their quality control is non-existent, which is why they can sell high-spec models at what is in fact bargain prices. If you're lucky you get a good copy, but you may also be stuck with an expensive doorstop. I speak from experience. I once got a total lemon U2410 that Dell insisted was "within spec" - and it probably was. It was cyan/green on the left side and magenta/pink on the right. Only then did I discover that the market was flooded with these turkeys, and it's still happening: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19526218.aspx

Here's Dell's official policy concerning uneven screen color: "Dell monitors do not have 100% color uniformity specification. As long as the center 2" circle is 6500K, it meets our manufacturer specifications. The center may be 6500K, but the sides and corners may not, which is why you may see that one side or corner is different than the others". Indeed.

You'll probably be better off with an NEC P232 Spectraview, or an Eizo CS230. They're slightly more expensive than the U2413 and don't offer the same specs on paper, but what you get in return is consistently high basic quality. If you want one with the U2413 specs, the alternatives are NEC PA242-SV, or Eizo CX240 (- CG246). More expensive, but definitely worth it. Best bang for the buck in the US is the NEC, but in Europe prices are more equal (and a lot higher).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 05:28:19 am by D Fosse »

Alan Matuka

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 05:45:02 am »

Thanks for the info...

Lot of my colleagues and clients use u2410 and are very satisfied - and I'm talking about photographers and designers. This is the first time I heard bad review about Dell, but is good to know.
Price of u2410 is around $ 730, and I will try to find dealer for NEC.
Thanks  :)

D Fosse

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 08:50:13 am »

I'm certain most units are perfectly fine, it's just that there is a risk. The pink/green issue with the U2410 is well documented, but Dell takes no responsibility for it. And when you look at the on paper specifications, which are in fact identical to an Eizo at two or three times the price, the inevitable conclusion is that there must be a reason for that...

LATE EDIT: I have posted this Dell caveat emptor a couple of times by now, here and elsewhere. In case someone thinks I have anything personal against Dell: you bet I have. I've never felt so royally scr***d over before or after, and when I discovered that the problem was very widespread, and that Dell just turned the other way without even acknowledging that there was a problem, I became even more outraged that they should get away with it. Keep in mind that this renders the monitor totally useless for critical work, which is what they market them for.

Yes, it's a budget model. That's fine if they cut costs up front where the customer can see it and make an informed decision. But shipping turds while passing it off as gold is dishonest. I paid the equivalent of $850 (in Norwegian currency) for my copy, which is still a considerable amount of money.

What really happens here, I suspect, is something like this: These panels are all manufactured by LG. Like everyone else they have tolerances, and they end up with some good and some bad panels. The prime panels go to those willing to pay for them, like Eizo and NEC. The bad go at a great discount to those not, like Dell. And they set up a balance sheet: number of copies sold vs. dissatisfied customers. It still pays off.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 10:36:22 am by D Fosse »

Alan Matuka

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 01:20:38 pm »

I completely understand that you were well pis..d off, just read Dell answer ( about 2 inch circle ). Well, it's an eye opener, and thank you for it.
Since I will be buying in Europe ( Croatia, to be more precise ) price will be some 30 % higher than in the US. Also, I suspect that local dealers have limited item list. Anyway, will try to get hold of NEC monitor, since colour and it's accuracy is fairly important in my work.

Thanks again for the tips.

Alan Matuka

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 10:41:05 am »

I decided to go for Dell, just have to choose between u2410 and 2413 - local dealer has both on stock and the price is virtually the same...
Pages: [1]   Go Up